Very first time using a metal detector.. here's our find!

Sihren

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2017
Northern Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 4 y/o daughter and I decided a little while ago we were going to get a metal detector and hunt for treasures together (I have always wanted a metal detector and may have told her treasure and digging in the mud was involved.. she had no complaints haha)! Here's what we have found on day 1:

-A metal detector. HA.. okay I'm attempting to be funny here but really there are hardly ANY stores that sell any whatsoever, let alone at our pricepoint. Thank goodness I happened to be near Bass Pro today!
-Okay here's the real find.. we had so much fun I just had to share with yall:

1. A piece of trash metal all squished. Maybe the coolest find of the day because at this point in my 4 year old's attention span, I'm the coolest mom ever in the history of the world 8-)
2. We procede to dig up these bits of old rusted iron shards. It is at this exact moment I realized I hadn't bought gloves and they are now on our list. Nothing like good ol' tetanus to spark your memory!
3. We have reached the motherload for sure!!! Not only is this thing deeper, but it's such a funky and long shape. My daughter immediately announced it was a treasure chest and frantically "helped" me dig. I'll just let the pictures show you which this was lol!
4. We found something else in the same hole! It wassss.... and old, squished Budweiser Can! She was less excited and focused at this point so of course, I bet her she couldn't run to the back of the yard and back faster than lightening. She (obviously) proved me wrong and took the dare while I speed detected the last few holes. :hello2:
5., 6., 7., A newer piece of a metal stake maybe? Then a nail. Also! ...Another nail.
8. This one was actually neat and I kept it. I think it was originally just one of those big staples used for.. uhh manly building stuff? But this one had rusted so much it resembles a cute little critter.

Overall day one was so much fun! I learned a lot and just couldn't wait to get back out detecting.

...So I dragged my husband out. He immediately "helped" me (Got incredibly excited when I dug the first hole and manned my detector for the rest of the venture) haha.
We found mostly junk again but there was one thing that's piqued our interest. He's certain it's a meteorite. I am skeptical but trying to do enough research on what it may be so I can form an educated guess. Any insight is much welcomed since I'm sure there are many of yall who are very familiar with this. Either way, mostly certainly the coolest rock I've found to date.

Anyway, we're hooked! This post is way longer than I intended but I just needed to get the details for memory's sake! :) Thanks for reading through that and again if you have any insight 001.jpg 003.jpg 5.jpg 8.jpg

Upvote 22

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread