New site produces bonanza of 1600s artifacts plus early military buttons & much more

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
New site produces bonanza of 1600s artifacts plus early military buttons & much more

This has been a rough month on the personal side with the recent loss of my father-in-law, my son being in the hospital, and my car getting hit, and all 3 of those events happened with a 2 hour period on the 10th. But things are slowly getting back to normal, so I was finally able to find time to get out and roam the fields at a new, large site that was oozing with potential. I also invited my regular hunting buddies Dan, Joey, and Stan, and all came home with some nice keepers.

This property is loaded with house sites, many 19[SUP]th[/SUP] to early 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century, but a couple colonial hotspots were also discovered. One small spot tucked away in an unsuspecting corner was quite productive with most finds dating to the late 17[SUP]th[/SUP] to early 18[SUP]th[/SUP] centuries, and a large number of early buckles and leather ornaments were recovered there, but almost no buttons and absolutely zero coins. That was a huge disappointment as this spot had “cob” or “hammered” written all over it. It did not help that most of the area was covered with a very dense, tall clover thanks to the recent spell of warm weather, and this made it extremely difficult if not impossible to swing the coil close to the dirt. So I’m sure we left some nice ones in the ground, but we may never get a chance to recover them as the property will be under contract in the next few days and may become off limits forever.

In addition to the colonial goodies, I was able to stumble across 3 really nice military buttons in random locations while roaming around the fields. The best of these was a rare Hillsborough Military Academy (NC) button in great condition with its gilt almost totally intact and a stand-up shank. This button dates to 1859-60, and most of the cadets at this school joined the Confederate Army when the war started. The others included a War of 1812 era artillery button (“eagle on cannon”) plus an exquisite early navy button identified as Albert’s NA86A7. It includes the backmark “Wise, Bielby, Hyde & Co” plus No 1/Extra Fine, and was produced in Birmingham England around 1820-30. The gilt on this example is about as good as it gets for a dug button.

I did chase a deep iron signal in the middle of the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century site and found not only a nice colonial hoe, but the base to a very early shaft and globe bottle, or at least from one of the transitional varieties which preceded the true onion forms. These are extremely hard to find and only at the very earliest sites. A second hoe with a long, narrow shape was also found nearby and is likely a 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century grubbing hoe, and it was fused to the bottom of the bottle base so they were obviously discarded at the same time. Early occupation of this site was also confirmed with the recovery a 4 clay pipe stems with a bore diameter of 7/64s” which generally equates to the 1650 to 1680 period. A wide assortment of finds spanning nearly 300 years were recovered at this interesting and diverse site, and many are shown in the collection of images below. I was obviously very pleased with the results of this hunt, but it was disappointing that I was unable to put a colonial coin of any type under my coil. But I know they’re hiding somewhere in that deep clover. Time for the ole plywood trick ....

Attachments

• sykes all.jpg
    sykes all.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 271
  • clover2.jpg
    clover2.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 192
  • just dug buckle1.jpg
    just dug buckle1.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 197
  • just dug buckle4.jpg
    just dug buckle4.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 179
  • just dug buckle5.jpg
    just dug buckle5.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 165
  • just dug latten spoon bowl.jpg
    just dug latten spoon bowl.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 179
  • just dug knife handle.jpg
    just dug knife handle.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 176
  • ornaments11.jpg
    ornaments11.jpg
    921.1 KB · Views: 182
  • just dug ornament1.jpg
    just dug ornament1.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 174
  • buckles1.jpg
    buckles1.jpg
    1,004 KB · Views: 203
  • navy btn1.jpg
    navy btn1.jpg
    668.8 KB · Views: 177
  • HMA button.jpg
    HMA button.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 175
  • hoes1.jpg
    hoes1.jpg
    673.8 KB · Views: 163
  • shaft and globe3.jpg
    shaft and globe3.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 172
  • lead items1.jpg
    lead items1.jpg
    688.7 KB · Views: 181
  • navy btn2.jpg
    navy btn2.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 3 buttons.jpg
    3 buttons.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 168
  • coins1.jpg
    coins1.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 208
  • buttons all.jpg
    buttons all.jpg
    820.5 KB · Views: 165
  • misc1.jpg
    misc1.jpg
    546.2 KB · Views: 185
Upvote 64

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ha - I think "master" is quite a stretch Steve, but thanks anyway. I've always believed the most important aspect of artifact recovery is research and site selection. It doesn't matter if you're using a top-of-the-line machine, or if you're great at using it, since if you're not on a good site your chances of being productive are pretty slim.

Haha, then let me rephrase - you're excellent at site selection. Funny enough, a lot of us spend just as much time researching as we do hunting. Research may vary from VA to NJ to ME, Canada, etc, but it's all very time consuming.

You really nailed this one. Those buckles make me drool (more than normal). Outstanding!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible assortment of very early finds Bill. Really happy to see you get out and have a great hunt. I know you needed that as you've had a bit of a tough stretch. You will come out the other side and be stronger for it. Hopefully this is a bit of a turning point. Can't wait to see the next killer hunt

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone's been trying to get me to take videos, but it just slows me down too much. When I'm hunting I try to recover as many targets in the shortest possible time, so taking videos just kills my efficiency.

Let me expound on this......the time it takes me to recover a relic, Bill has already gridded the area he was working on and has moved on to his next section which could be 200 hundred yards away. Then he goes home and runs a 10k and cooks dinner for his wife. Then writes a book.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill - Sorry to hear about your run of misfortune, I hope that things go better for you. I'm sure of it. Awesome finds - I haven't dug a whole spur buckle in ages. Your book project in no doubt a huge contribution to metal detecting. I read that Ivor Noel Hume passed away recently; your upcoming book will be timely in filling a void. His book is a classic, and I'm sure your work will be held in high regard as well. I'll send you a PM on a related matter in the next few weeks.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're on some nice dirt. Those buttons are real beauties, especially the naval button. Like the knee buckle too. It's also always nice to pluck seated coinage out of the ground. Great bunch of finds!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Gotta love these Virginia sites with history piled upon history. Years of history to be uncovered. Always envious of your posts and finds. Banner worthy research and recovery if you ask me.

Hope there are brighter days ahead personally for you and your family.

Cheers
Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread