New site produces bonanza of 1600s artifacts plus early military buttons & much more

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
New site produces bonanza of 1600s artifacts plus early military buttons & much more

This has been a rough month on the personal side with the recent loss of my father-in-law, my son being in the hospital, and my car getting hit, and all 3 of those events happened with a 2 hour period on the 10th. But things are slowly getting back to normal, so I was finally able to find time to get out and roam the fields at a new, large site that was oozing with potential. I also invited my regular hunting buddies Dan, Joey, and Stan, and all came home with some nice keepers.

This property is loaded with house sites, many 19[SUP]th[/SUP] to early 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century, but a couple colonial hotspots were also discovered. One small spot tucked away in an unsuspecting corner was quite productive with most finds dating to the late 17[SUP]th[/SUP] to early 18[SUP]th[/SUP] centuries, and a large number of early buckles and leather ornaments were recovered there, but almost no buttons and absolutely zero coins. That was a huge disappointment as this spot had “cob” or “hammered” written all over it. It did not help that most of the area was covered with a very dense, tall clover thanks to the recent spell of warm weather, and this made it extremely difficult if not impossible to swing the coil close to the dirt. So I’m sure we left some nice ones in the ground, but we may never get a chance to recover them as the property will be under contract in the next few days and may become off limits forever.

In addition to the colonial goodies, I was able to stumble across 3 really nice military buttons in random locations while roaming around the fields. The best of these was a rare Hillsborough Military Academy (NC) button in great condition with its gilt almost totally intact and a stand-up shank. This button dates to 1859-60, and most of the cadets at this school joined the Confederate Army when the war started. The others included a War of 1812 era artillery button (“eagle on cannon”) plus an exquisite early navy button identified as Albert’s NA86A7. It includes the backmark “Wise, Bielby, Hyde & Co” plus No 1/Extra Fine, and was produced in Birmingham England around 1820-30. The gilt on this example is about as good as it gets for a dug button.

I did chase a deep iron signal in the middle of the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century site and found not only a nice colonial hoe, but the base to a very early shaft and globe bottle, or at least from one of the transitional varieties which preceded the true onion forms. These are extremely hard to find and only at the very earliest sites. A second hoe with a long, narrow shape was also found nearby and is likely a 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century grubbing hoe, and it was fused to the bottom of the bottle base so they were obviously discarded at the same time. Early occupation of this site was also confirmed with the recovery a 4 clay pipe stems with a bore diameter of 7/64s” which generally equates to the 1650 to 1680 period. A wide assortment of finds spanning nearly 300 years were recovered at this interesting and diverse site, and many are shown in the collection of images below. I was obviously very pleased with the results of this hunt, but it was disappointing that I was unable to put a colonial coin of any type under my coil. But I know they’re hiding somewhere in that deep clover. Time for the ole plywood trick ....

Attachments

• sykes all.jpg
    sykes all.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 271
  • clover2.jpg
    clover2.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 192
  • just dug buckle1.jpg
    just dug buckle1.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 197
  • just dug buckle4.jpg
    just dug buckle4.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 179
  • just dug buckle5.jpg
    just dug buckle5.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 165
  • buckles1.jpg
    buckles1.jpg
    1,004 KB · Views: 203
  • just dug ornament1.jpg
    just dug ornament1.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 174
  • ornaments11.jpg
    ornaments11.jpg
    921.1 KB · Views: 182
  • just dug knife handle.jpg
    just dug knife handle.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 176
  • just dug latten spoon bowl.jpg
    just dug latten spoon bowl.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 179
  • lead items1.jpg
    lead items1.jpg
    688.7 KB · Views: 181
  • shaft and globe3.jpg
    shaft and globe3.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 172
  • hoes1.jpg
    hoes1.jpg
    673.8 KB · Views: 163
  • HMA button.jpg
    HMA button.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 175
  • navy btn1.jpg
    navy btn1.jpg
    668.8 KB · Views: 177
  • navy btn2.jpg
    navy btn2.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 3 buttons.jpg
    3 buttons.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 168
  • coins1.jpg
    coins1.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 208
  • buttons all.jpg
    buttons all.jpg
    820.5 KB · Views: 165
  • misc1.jpg
    misc1.jpg
    546.2 KB · Views: 185
Upvote 64

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
OUTSTANDING post Bill. I'm really impressed with all of the finds from that site. Love it!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quite the load of relics, etc....that naval button with all the gilt is top notch.

Regards + HH

Bill

Sihren

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2017
Northern Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry things have been so rough for you recently. Sending positive thoughts and hugs your way!

What an awesome find! I couldn't believe just how much stuff is in those pictures, very neat to see all the different items. Crossing my fingers you find those coins soon!!! :icon_thumright:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am glad things are settling down for you, May God Bless!

Congratualtions on the FANTASTIC Relic and old Coin hunting! :notworthy:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an impressive haul !! Glad things are getting back to normal for you. Metal detecting is like meditation, helps the mind and soul. Great work at a great site.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well digging is good medicine.

Lots of things to like in that big haul!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
That's an amazing site you have going, I hope you are able to recover the remainder of the finds waiting there!
The finds you made were among the best I've seen lately.
Good to see things are looking better for you

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a hunt Bill... And excellent post as always. I'm really happy to see you're getting out for some digging therapy with some good buddies :occasion14:. I don't even know where to begin... As incredible as the marked spoon bowl and early military buttons are, I am really liking those two COMPLETE early hoe blades. They're going to look amazing. It's really cool the one was fused to the shaft and globe base. If you end up processing them soon, I'd love to see some pictures when they're done. Excellent hunt and post Bill and looking forward to the next one man.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!!! Luv it ALL Bill..... Way to stay positive bud!!!! CONGRATZ

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds ! :occasion14:

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa! That's what I call an epic hunt! :icon_thumleft:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very impressive hunt bill, that is a seasons worth of finds for most!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Bill! You dug a lot of nice stuff and it surely helps getting out and swing the coil!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, when talking to you, one would think you found a couple of wheaties and a flat button. In reality you made up up for a entire digging season in one week! Unreal group of finds Bill and thank you for inviting me down for a day, I really enjoyed it. My fav is the shaft and globe base.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice hunt and finds. I must say the coins you have in the picture are not too shabby, even though you didn't find any colonial era coins. Congrats.

Jacobsdt

Jan 9, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher F75 ltd, Garrett Pro Pointer and a little luck
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding artifacts, love those buttons, good job.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
It has definitely been a tough couple months Bill. I hope you are on the other side. What an incredible array of killer finds. The variety is really something. Some killer early buckles there and a nice mix of quality buttons. Can't ask for a much better site. I hope you are able to retain permission even if it changes hands, there is definitely a nice coin hiding in the clover. I have missed your high quality finds and posts.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I like what Joey said. You did make up for a season with this hunt you old dog!!! Wow. And to think you have several buckles that are on my list in one pile! Navy buttons, latten spoon with the touch mark, and hand wrought hoes?! Who needs coins when you have all that!!! Lol

Great hunt and congrats buddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread