Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was trying out a new spot after a group dig yesterday afternoon. It had started to rain, so I decided to try this new spot. I had received some new information on the aftermath of the Battle of the Monocacy in 1864, and went on a wild goose chase, so to speak. Now Maryland saw a lot of activity in the Civil War and had the notorious Point Lookout Prison Camp (Union) in Southern Maryland. There were even riots in Baltimore by Southern sympathizers during the war. A lot of Marylanders sided with the South.

Anyway, I had found the two St. Timothy's Hall buttons not far away. Please see the prior thread. But properties have property lines so, with permission, I went to a new spot, not far at all from where the two Confederate used buttons were found. The owner had a small woodlot. I skipped the grass so started into the woods. Didn't find much, an old nail, Civil War Period horse shoe and two modern coins. Big whoop.

Went to a flat spot and found what looks like the innards of a shoe buckle, but I think early 19th century due to the good manufacturing. Now I have to figure out where I put it. So I walked down one little stretch of nothing growing yet and got a HUGE kind of aluminum can signal....and ignored it. Went about another hour and passed by again. I was a few feet away this time and dug a solid quarter type of signal. Out pops a block "I" Confederate button! This is my fourth Confederate button in the last 6 weeks. I am in a state of shock! Until this last month or so it's been over 20 years since I found a Confederate button, near Saylor's Creek in Virginia. Those buttons were also found in a relic "patch", surrounded by nothing else. Now, the place I was researching was supposed to have been visited (briefly) by Confederate Cavairy, but I guess I'm not going to complain. After that shock (guys this is MARYLAND!), I found a 1958 Roosevelt dime and a toasty Lincoln. It started drizzling again so I started back to the car.

Then I got another great aluminum can signal....this time I dug it. It was an adjuster buckle in brass to a horse harness. Was found about 10' (or less, excitement will do that to you) from the "I" button. I don't move too fast. It still has a lot of leather on it. Leather is just about dust, so right now it just got a soaking in 50% white glue and water, so tomorrow, when it dries, it will still be there. Methinks! Cool! So I fill the plug and move one more swing and BAM, another similar signal. By the time I was done this little piece of woods, not more than 5' square produced what you see. All buckles are intact. Now the old house that was there persisted into the 20th century, so it's possible the horsie items are later than the Civil War, but I suppose there is no way to tell, and with THREE Confederate buttons found within 100 yards (in the case of the St. Timothy's Hall buttons) and 10 FEET, if that, with the Block "I". I think they are all related. Also found a CW carbine bullet not far away.

I can't get a close pic of the adjuster buckles due to the deteriorating leather, but will check them tomorrow. The buckles are cast brass. The tongues are brass, not iron. The center posts of the buckles that the tongue attaches to have a small raised area on each side of where the tongue attaches to they will not slide off.

This has been one heck of a year! I have no idea how it could get better! Still haven't dug a US gold coin though. View attachment IMG_0214.jpg View attachment IMG_0215.jpg View attachment IMG_0216.jpg

Upvote 17

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, heck of a button! Fantastic!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buttons, and all that brass still untouched for 150 years and all still together! Not real! I must be dreaming. I have never dug one of these buckles before, either.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I often think the same but it can & will get better.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I find the 20 pounds of gold coins, hey, I won't let anyone know. Like that will happen. Unreal year.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love me some historic brass relics. You landed on the mother load of cool old brass there. Did you have a seat or get more comfortable when you realized all the targets around you?:laughing7: Wonderful finds and well worth poking around that spot for even more goodies.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kurios1, I was dumbfounded. First thing out was the buckle, then in short order three round rings, then the 2nd buckle, then the two square pieces. Or something like that. I don't film my digs, figure no one would be interested in yet another live dig. I like watching other people's on youtube, but don't want to carry my camera with me, it's a nice one and I am afraid I'd ruin it. Temporarily lost one of the square pieces after the photo, but it was lying under the throw rug near the cat's dish. Guess the cat wanted it. I gridded the area after that and got nothing else. My Deus, which comes in black, was a nice chocolate brown when I got done yesterday. I got REALLY dirty. Felt like a child again. MOST of the dirt came off it. Will take awhile.

I need to NOT touch it until tomorrow to see if I need to add more glue. The leather is just about dust.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back today for a bit and pulled another brass buckle out of the edge of the woods, 75' from the others. Think this was used for a person. Haven't cleaned it up yet.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh no you din't

TKinVA

Aug 29, 2014
Great button! I was reading about the riots in Baltimore. I have a friend that has the original order from Lincoln ordering the union troops to turn the guns away from the harbor into the city of things didn't improve.. I think he paid ten grand for it in 2007. Just thought it was interesting.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff Gordon, oh yes I did. Plus I almost forgot a new dime, penny and kitty cat pendant in junk metal, recent drop. Was in the grass.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I did! This one is different and I believe was meant for a person. IMG_0217.jpg

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent relics, you've got a great place to hunt. I hope there's even more for you there!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's embarrassing is that I IGNORED the target set at first as I though it was an aluminum patch!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff Gordon, oh yes I did. Plus I almost forgot a new dime, penny and kitty cat pendant in junk metal, recent drop. Was in the grass.
Smokey, you find just as much neat stuff on top of the dirt as you find in it (like that copper at the other site). Was great seeing the above finds in person, including that Block I. Thanks for letting me tag along. Will post my finds when I get a chance.

Sent from my SM-G935P using TreasureNet.com mobile app

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I have TWO block "I" in less than two weeks, and less than 50 miles apart. Or maybe that's far???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread