South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had 45 min today at lunch and decided to hit an area of an old property that has big old trees = minimal bramble growth. I've been to this site 10 times, pretty much hunted out... but it's easy to get to and wanted to try the bigger coil in a new area. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493924102.617255.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493924112.968911.jpg
Old cellar hole in the back of the first pic. Got a great quarter signal ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493924169.690207.jpg big roundness in the hole. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493924199.073717.jpg Congratulated myself on finally finding my first Large Cent... kept digging and found 5 wheats and a Rosie. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493924264.714466.jpg and some other relics including an Indian Motorcycle key and a toasted nickel sized piece that rang up as a nickel, but identifiable. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493924348.369822.jpg
Ok, so when I got back I realized it was not a LC again, but I'll take my first Barber Quarter. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493924409.460545.jpg anyone know how to remove gray coating?

Good luck out there!

Upvote 29

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Cleaning is tough. It looks like lemon juice won't cure that one. I use the baking soda/foil method at times. Never did electrolysis but if Silver Tree Chaser recommends it, it'll work.

Here's a sample of a cleanup I did with the foil method. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493946471.274642.jpg

Anyway. Good for you with those finds man. I've been clicking on your posts because you seem to be bringing the good stuff;) cheers

Steve

UNERTHEN

Sep 22, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics gamma 6000 with 8", nel sharp, nel sharpshooter. Garrett Ace350 with 8x11 and 4.5 sniper. Garrett at propointer, garrett zlynk
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Imho, water...soft tooth brush, blot dry and bag it. :headbang:

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cleaning is tough. It looks like lemon juice won't cure that one. I use the baking soda/foil method at times. Never did electrolysis but if Silver Tree Chaser recommends it, it'll work.

Here's a sample of a cleanup I did with the foil method. View attachment 1447522

Anyway. Good for you with those finds man. I've been clicking on your posts because you seem to be bringing the good stuff;) cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve. I've gotten lucky with my 2 primary homestead sites. One has given up over 30 oldies and the other close to 50 old coins. The other dozen or more sites I have researched have only given up a coin or 2 each. Never no when the next virgin site will appear. I need to research the real early settlement maps to start finding coins like in your posts!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Another Cleaning Method is to take Tin Foil, "CLEAR" Vinegar, "ONLY", Salt & Water. Take the tin foil, shiny side towards the coin. Form a small pocket just round enough to hold the coin. place salt in the entire bottom of the formed cup.Don't spare the salt ok. Place the coin on top of that salt. Then put more salt on top of the coin making sure to cover it completely. Then SLOWLY pour in enough CLEAR Vinegar into the cup until the coin is completely covered. Fold the sides of the tin foil down on top of the coin and press that down to make sure the foil comes into contact with the coin. When done wait 30 minutes EXACTLY, NO LONGER. Remove the coin and the rinse the coin off with warm running water. When you are done pat it dry on a towel. NOT a Paper Towel or Tissue Paper. They leave lint on the piece. When you look at the coin it will be nice and clean without removing the toning or Patina and it will NOT scratch the coin ok. You now have a nice clean coin ready for presentation and display ok. You can also push off any dirt using a BLUNTED wooden toothpick tip by GENTLY pushing it off. No harm or scratches will occur ok.
If by some remote chance some dirt remains stuck to the coin just repeat the above steps for ONLY TEN MINUTES. NO LONGER. Because then you run the risk of pitting the coin. THAT will not happen in the first soak though ok. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

PS: The whole set up Process should take no more than 5 minutes to do. It is really easy ok.

Last edited:

Diamondman307

Sep 20, 2016
Stockton, CA
Detector(s) used
Pioneer EX, Garrett GP Pointer, Bounty Hunter Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job! I'd like to find even 1 piece of silver....

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Barber looks great as is to us!!!! Very nice bunch of finds from a "hunted out" site! :icon_thumright:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Barber quarter, it's a nice one too

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Barber Quarter. I personally do not clean any of my silver coins, as I like to put them in the 2x2 holders, and remember them the way they came out of the ground. I also like the gray patina if they come out that way. You could rub it with baking soda and water but you will leave very fine scratches on it, and it will make the coin look almost "fake" because of the shine it will leave. If you want to use the baking soda method, then I would go with baking soda and lemon juice in aluminum foil.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Here's a sample of a cleanup I did with the foil method. View attachment 1447522

Steve

Finally got around to trying the foil baking soda method. Key was boiling water, not just hot. Several times with fresh water, backing soda and foil. Took some time, but looks like a silver coin now. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1498621950.164447.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1498621963.464379.jpg Got about 95% of the gray coating off. Simply didn't like the dug look on this one, personal preference I guess. Plus I finally found a large cent so it was time to help this guy look more like a silver coin. Has an imperfection in front of her nose, but the back came out pretty nice. Probably my nicest 100+ year coin. My official coin grading is an A minus...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread