Dec 11, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
Whites pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! New to MD scanning on land in upstate Ny -
Found an oxen shoe almost a foot deep & today found these 2 -
Wondering best way to id musket balls. Can find info on battles 30mins away so I know it's a good place to search. Any help or info would be great - have to dig mega deep it seems for some things. Thanks for any info/help appreciate it - will post the oxen show on this thread in next comment.

IMG_8547.JPG

Upvote 1
OP
OP
rosespetal

rosespetal

Dec 11, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
Whites pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oxen shoe at 10" deep+, nail or needle, pick axe head all in NY

IMG_8522.JPG

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The round ball below the dime is way too small to be a musket ball. Looks like a buckshot or a small ball from a rifle or pistol. Best way to identify is to measure it with calipers, the size is the caliber of the ball. A musket ball would be as least .65 inches for a .69 caliber musket. The ball is smaller than the caliber of the musket for ease of loading.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The round ball below the dime is way too small to be a musket ball. Looks like a buckshot or a small ball from a rifle or pistol. Best way to identify is to measure it with calipers, the size is the caliber of the ball. A musket ball would be as least .65 inches for a .69 caliber musket. The ball is smaller than the caliber of the musket for ease of loading.
I agree, I would guess pistol shot.

OP
OP
rosespetal

rosespetal

Dec 11, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
Whites pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you

Thanks so much- so the weird shapes one probably falls in that same category though it struck something most likely then. Appreciate it !

Hope to find something more substantial though I've got a huge area to search lol

I agree, I would guess pistol shot.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what the weird shaped one is but is not a round ball. Is it iron? Looks kind of rust colored.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread