Historic penny find

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I very rarely post in this section. Today is different in that I went coin shooting at the site of Frank A. Gotch Riverside training camp. Only three recoveries two brass shell casings from the VFW Honor Guard from a bygone Memorial Day most likely last year. The best find was a 1911 Lincoln Cent. I am guessing it was dropped by one of his fans who came to watch The World's Champion Wrestler train for his match for the World title or I should say to hold it against "The Russian Lion" Georg Hackenschmidt. It was reported that in the month of July 1911, 2,000 people a day came to Riverside camp to watch Gotch train and spar. They even had a special train to bring people up from Des Moines and Fort Dodge.

What makes this find so good for me is it the site has been hunted to death by locals and coin hunters from all over looking for a early coin from the era of Gotch career. As I am from Gotch hometown this is a prize coin for my collection. I will frame a picture of Frank A. Gotch at Riverside Training Camp with Farmer Burns his trainer and manager along with the coin. It will be a treasured piece and something that my son and future generations can enjoy. I couldn't be more please if I had found a $50 gold coin in mint condition.

Senior Deacon

Upvote 17

JccEldreth

Feb 8, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Pro Pointer II and I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, it's not the coins value, its the value of the coin to you.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the special find! Thanks for sharing!
A special find is always a great day out! :occasion14:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes, although many may never understand the specialness of something to you, the value can be priceless to you and rightly so. so congrats on being able to do the seemingly impossible under the circumstances. very cool too

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
t_r.gif
t_o.gif
s.gif
t_l.gif

..: NICE FIND Senior Deacon :..
Don't forget to post a picture of the coin when it is mounted!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread