Now this is more like it! 1877 Seated Quarter love token!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Got a permission at the only house I knocked at this morning. I was swinging by 930 which is nice because I only had til 1. Nice 1800s house that was one of those well manicured places I was sure if get told NO at. Low and behold the owner was very polite and gave me the ok. It was a strange yard with deeper clad pennies and shallow mercs. Ended up getting 2 Indians, 2 mercs (1918 and 1927) a nice buff, and the find of the day this stunning 1877 seated quarter Love token! I have a barber quarter on my bucket list and figures I would skip right past that and get the seated not that I'm complaining though LOL!! Thanks for looking and hh!! 20170620_133348.jpg 20170620_112638.jpg 20170620_133230.jpg 20170620_133259.jpg 20170620_133135.jpg 20170620_133155.jpg 20170620_134903.jpg 20170620_134918.jpg 20170620_135024.jpg

Upvote 86
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! :notworthy:
thank you professor!

Love token is such a personal piece- found a half dime version myself. Great digs Cjon
thanks alot vmi!I'm pumped to have it!

I dug an 1877 Seated quarter and 1865 love token on the same site but not the awesome combo youve got there. Congrats
Thank you toasted, I never thought I'd have one!

Excellent pile of assorted treasure.
Great hunt....
Thank you!

THAT is absolutely beautiful! Great find my friend and I love the detail and the amt of work that went into it. I think that is something that need to be up in the banner for all to see! I'm submitting my vote!
Thanks alot docbeav! Much appreciated!

Great bunch of finds, That love token is over the top CONGRATS
thank you art!

Great love token! Wow!!!
Thank ya sir!

Cjon, I've seen a LOT of love tokens, there's tons on fee-bay, but I'm pretty sure they aren't "genuine", if you get my drift...that unit you have has got to be the absolute AWESOMEST one I've had the privelage of seeing. I couldn't imagine the craftsmanship it took to create it, not to mention the patience...Congrats, that made my day...Ddf
Thanks alot ddf!, can you imagine how long that took? Man the patience you gotta have to do such work. Thanks again!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A whole lot more were made on dimes, so a quarter is exceptional! I found one a couple years ago on an 1859 dime and it remains one of my favourite. Congrats on the one-off! There ain't another one like it!
thanks Steve! When I don't get out as much as I'd like, making finds like this seen to help me get over the heartache lol

The engraving is fantastic! What a day you had!
thanks tnmountains! Couldn't be happier!

Super detail, it must have been crafted and then lost soon after. And to not be holed makes it even better.
That's what I thought, tons of detail on it! Thank you!

What I love about your love token is not that it's old and not that it's silver, but the style of the carving. The style is like traditional leather carving. (Yes, I do a little leather work on a newbie level.)

Anyway BANNER NOMINATION!
Thanks alot, I love the font they used in the engraving, very cool!

That's an amazing save!!! HH
Thank you!

Lovely craftsmanship! Very nice!
Thank you gary!

Great coin, love token is high on my bucket list. I would love that coin. Congrats.
thanks alot, I would've never expected that so I didn't have one on my list lol

Absolutely Beautiful......
thanks alot!

dansalata

May 16, 2011
porterville calif...
Detector(s) used
fisher 1212x,whites mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds..love the token..btw I was born in Johnstown ,lived in salix with my family..moved to calif in 1964..i remember my mon mentioning portage when I was a little dude

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A quarter was a lot of money back then! Amazing gift and Amazing find!
that's crazy to think about. I wonder how much a quarter back then was equivalent to today. Thanks alot!

Craftsmanship is outstanding. Beautiful coin made into a token. A wonderful find
Thank you very much

What a crazy good permission! The love token is a beauty, and the rest of your finds are pretty great too. Congrats.
thanks silvermonkey

Beauty of a love token. I believe quarter-sized love token are found far less often. I'm amazed by the skill and concentration spent on crafting love tokens, but I guess back in the day people had far less distractions - no TV, internet, social media, etc.
thank you. Someone put alot of pride into that token. Must've been bummed when it was lost

That is one great mix of finds, and that love token is simply incredible! Congrats on an amazing find!!

-- Jeff --
thank you Jeff! I couldn't believe it when I saw that in the dirt pile. Made concentrating on the rest of the hunt difficult !

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds..love the token..btw I was born in Johnstown ,lived in salix with my family..moved to calif in 1964..i remember my mon mentioning portage when I was a little dude

Thank you.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats is a beauty!!!!! Congrats on a wonderful find!!!!:icon_thumright:

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow outstanding Chris I found many Barber quarters but never got a seated quarter its just the other way around for us, congrats on some awesome finds brother......:occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the beauty, the detail on both sides is so crisp. Having dug one similar as your many years ago it's still holds that special spot in the memory bank as one of my nicest keepers dug. Rotating the scripted image of the token I'm wondering if it's the letter D?

Last edited:

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Voting banner on this one. I don't recall ever seeing a seated quarter love token posted...

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding CJ. I sure would like to see one of those pop up from under my coil one day !

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on scoring that great producing permission Cjon. I can tell you were stoked when you posted. That love token is gorgeous and sad to say I have yet to find one. Someday.... maybe someday I will swing my coil over one. It's been way too dry to dig a permission in my area. We are expecting some rain Thur & Fri, maybe I can score a permission for the weekend.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow outstanding Chris I found many Barber quarters but never got a seated quarter its just the other way around for us, congrats on some awesome finds brother......:occasion14:
thanks a lot yeah a barber quarter is on my bucket list, figures I'd miss it and go right for the seated LOL

Congrats on the beauty, the detail on both sides is so crisp. Having dug one similar as your many years ago it's still holds that special spot in the memory bank as one of my nicest keepers dug. Rotating the scripted image of the token I'm wondering if it's the letter D?
thank you, yeah it looks like a d, very intricate, alot of time and effort went into this one. Thanks again!!

Voting banner on this one. I don't recall ever seeing a seated quarter love token posted...
thanks Dfw! I appreciate that

Outstanding CJ. I sure would like to see one of those pop up from under my coil one day !
thank you, I never expected this!

Congrats on scoring that great producing permission Cjon. I can tell you were stoked when you posted. That love token is gorgeous and sad to say I have yet to find one. Someday.... maybe someday I will swing my coil over one. It's been way too dry to dig a permission in my area. We are expecting some rain Thur & Fri, maybe I can score a permission for the weekend.
Thanks Kevin! Figures I'm always hunting solo when I make the cool finds. This yard was extremely soggy, must've been poor runoff or something. Hope ya get some rain soon!

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been jealous of a find for almost six months...now I have to start that clock over! : )

An exquisite recovery. It's unique, beautiful to look at, and was deeply personal. Very meaningful! Well done, and all "jelly" aside I'm happy for you.

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am voting banner too! This is an exceptional find, and rare. What exquisite detail on both sides of the coin. Awesome find!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was an excellent hunt and the
Seated / Love Token is beyond Beautiful.
Congratulations
thanks atw, that token rang in a perfect 8-46 on the etrac at about 7 to 8 inches.

I haven't been jealous of a find for almost six months...now I have to start that clock over! : )

An exquisite recovery. It's unique, beautiful to look at, and was deeply personal. Very meaningful! Well done, and all "jelly" aside I'm happy for you.
Thanks alot, I appreciate it!

I am voting banner too! This is an exceptional find, and rare. What exquisite detail on both sides of the coin. Awesome find!
Thank you, someone way back when was very talented to create such a neat piece

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello cjon455. Nice Mercs!!! Sorry I could not resist. That is one helluva find congrats and GoOd LuCk. C9

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an 1853 Quarter token last year, i was able to trace it to the sites original owner also. Congrats on a great find.
Pro-

Attachments

• 53token.JPG
    53token.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 53tokenrev.JPG
    53tokenrev.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 90

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hard to beat finding something so personalized!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread