U.S.M.A. Cadet Button and Screaming Monkey Head?

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted two different constructions sites today. The first one is where most of the stuff in the pic came from. Whats up with the screaming monkey head? Why is he so angry? I just saved him from being forever entombed underneath a new apartment high rise. It look likes his mouth is supposed to hold something?

The second construction site had a 2-3 foot deep trench dug through it. I found the cadet button in the bottom of the trench. Also found lantern tops, half a bed roll buckle and harmonica reeds. My friend found two plain eagle buttons and a shield nickel in the trench and along the edge where they pulled dirt out.

If you have the Albert button book and feel inclined to look this one up I would appreciate it. The backmark is H.V. Allien & Co. - New York. Looks to be 21mm. Would like to know the date range.

Finds 3 Jul 2017.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 9

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Your monkey head looks like it could have been a cigarette snuffer. ( Remember, back before people just started throwing them on the ground and stepping on them ) !

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 'monkey' is actually a Sambo piece, lol. I have seen them before, they hold a ball in their mouth - some sort of puzzle.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pretty cool

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Your monkey head looks like it could have been a cigarette snuffer. ( Remember, back before people just started throwing them on the ground and stepping on them ) !

I actually dug through my girlfriends purse last night to see if a cigarette fit! LOL

The 'monkey' is actually a Sambo piece, lol. I have seen them before, they hold a ball in their mouth - some sort of puzzle.

Wow! That's cool. Never would've guessed that one!

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
The backmark range is 1877-1948. It may be that it was made in the first 10 or so years of this range, assuming it doesn't say L&N.Y., as their London operations started roughly 10 years after their start in N.Y.

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The backmark range is 1877-1948. It may be that it was made in the first 10 or so years of this range, assuming it doesn't say L&N.Y., as their London operations started roughly 10 years after their start in N.Y.

Thanks! This one doesn't have London in the backmark.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions