Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: This was dug at the same time as Breezie's Sambo Cap Gun

Beats me Rob but I like it. I'm sure you'll just add your finds to your impressive early Americana collection. HH, Quindy.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Creskol, I'm so glad you had this appraised. I knew the value was high, so major congrats on the $$$ :thumbsup: Authentic antique Black Americana is highly collectible because it is so rare. Most of the 'real deals' were destroyed, especially after the Civil War. The few that did survive, didn't make it through the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s. There are a plethora of Black Americana reproductions that were made during the 'country decorating' era of the 1980's.

There is such a lack of a knowledge bank about these surviving Black Americana pieces. You had a Professional Appraiser admit he had never seen one or couldn't find it in a data base, so that tells you of it rarity. I don't know if you saw this website post or not, but check out the $$$ of this:
http://sableimages.com/cart/sambo-cap-gun-p-62.html

Personally, I think your item is a 'shooter marble holder,' and certainly not a doorstop. My best guesstimate of age is the Victorian Era. Marbles was one of the most 'popular games' of that time too.

Again, CONGRATS of a FANTASTIC find! Breezie

PS: Please tell the story of your avatar, and post some more pics.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very cool find, and a nice appraisal to boot. :hello2: :thumbsup:
Way to go!
-MM-

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal

:o What an crazingly insane unique item you have found :o Congrats & Kudos to you :icon_thumleft:

When I first saw it & pondered on the ball in mouth two thoughts came to mind . . . .
1) worry/stress ball . . . my Grandma used to have this rock she would roll around in the palm of her hand when she was concerned & concretrating on a certain thought or two
2) those oriental massage balls

. . more then likely your item does not fall into either of those areas, but the thoughts did pop up in my mind . . .

Lovin' the apprasial you received ;D If you ever happen to discover more about this piece I am really hoping you will share the info with us! Again a Huge Congrats on this awesome find! :icon_thumleft:

:D

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

VOL1266-X said:
Beats me Rob but I like it. I'm sure you'll just add your finds to your impressive early Americana collection. HH, Quindy.

Thanks Quindy !

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Breezie said:
Creskol, I'm so glad you had this appraised. I knew the value was high, so major congrats on the $$$ :thumbsup: Authentic antique Black Americana is highly collectible because it is so rare. Most of the 'real deals' were destroyed, especially after the Civil War. The few that did survive, didn't make it through the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s. There are a plethora of Black Americana reproductions that were made during the 'country decorating' era of the 1980's.

There is such a lack of a knowledge bank about these surviving Black Americana pieces. You had a Professional Appraiser admit he had never seen one or couldn't find it in a data base, so that tells you of it rarity. I don't know if you saw this website post or not, but check out the $$$ of this:

Personally, I think your item is a 'shooter marble holder,' and certainly not a doorstop. My best guesstimate of age is the Victorian Era. Marbles was one of the most 'popular games' of that time too.

Thanks for all, Breezie .. I sure appreciate your interest and your knowledge .. Never did hear anything from the other place.
As far as my avatar goes, I am not real sure what it was originally, maybe a top to hitching post or something? Thoughts? When I dug it, I thought it was part of a mechanical bank, but at almost 5 inches, I think it is too big for that. It was dug at an old house site many years ago, but still ranks among my favorite finds. Thanks again, Breezie!

PS: That link you provided made me blink twice or maybe even three times .. Wow!!.. What a neat old piece of history you dug! I nominated it for banner, too, but haven't seen it up there yet. .. and it certainly should be!

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Woodland Detectors said:
Wow! Fantastic relic save right there Creskol! That is indeed a rare find. Congratulations :hello2:

Thank you very much, Mike! ..and .. Congratulations to you is in order as well for your lovely new treasure, Christina Michelle! She's a cutie!

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

ModernMiner said:
Very cool find, and a nice appraisal to boot. :hello2: :thumbsup:
Way to go!
-MM-

Thanks MM .. I appreciate that!

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro

Congrats on the very cool and unusual Find, I agree great job getting a appraisal and finding out it's has a nice value to it, :icon_thumright: !

TommNJ

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

bogeymcq said:
:o What an crazingly insane unique item you have found :o Congrats & Kudos to you :icon_thumleft:

When I first saw it & pondered on the ball in mouth two thoughts came to mind . . . .
1) worry/stress ball . . . my Grandma used to have this rock she would roll around in the palm of her hand when she was concerned & concretrating on a certain thought or two
2) those oriental massage balls

. . more then likely your item does not fall into either of those areas, but the thoughts did pop up in my mind . . .

Lovin' the apprasial you received ;D If you ever happen to discover more about this piece I am really hoping you will share the info with us! Again a Huge Congrats on this awesome find! :icon_thumleft:

:D

Thanks! Good thoughts . If I learn any more, I will be happy to share the info, but so far, the appraisal is the only reply I have received.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

creskol said:
Breezie said:

Thanks for all, Breezie .. I sure appreciate your interest and your knowledge .. Never did hear anything from the other place.
As far as my avatar goes, I am not real sure what it was originally, maybe a top to hitching post or something? Thoughts? When I dug it, I thought it was part of a mechanical bank, but at almost 5 inches, I think it is too big for that. It was dug at an old house site many years ago, but still ranks among my favorite finds. Thanks again, Breezie!

PS: That link you provided made me blink twice or maybe even three times .. Wow!!.. What a neat old piece of history you dug! I nominated it for banner, too, but haven't seen it up there yet. .. and it certainly should be!

Creskol, Thank you for the banner vote; I've still got my finger's crossed on Sambo making it up there because of its rarity and the fantastic electrolysis job that TheCannonballGuy did. I still can't believe how well it turned out.

My other thought on your item (other than a shooter marble holder) is a 'Stamp Licker.' Water was put in the holding area, and the ball rolled around to wet the back of the stamp. This would make sense too since the ball would be like Sambo's tongue. I've got to work today, plus have a dentist appointment (yuk!) so I won't have a lot of time to search stamp moisteners, but hopefully you or someone else can.

This is a similar setup; pay no attention to the price because yours is valued on the fact it is a Sambo, not for it was used.
http://www.goantiques.com/detail,brass-stamp-moistener,1286676.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Japan...539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c885316b

Congrats again, I KNEW this was a winner the first time I saw it. :thumbsup: Breezie

Attachments

• ChickenStampWetter.jpg
    ChickenStampWetter.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 937

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excellent save of a great piece of history there Creskol! Congrats on the appraisal.

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A most excellent find!!

I had considered the "Stamp Licker" also, but in thinking about it, I'm not so sure. All of the manufactured stamp wetters I'm familiar with were primarily made out of ceramic. (That is, antique ones.)
I imagine they could have been cast out of iron, but even with a coat of enamel, iron tends to rust.

Actually, what it puts me in mind of would be a bar/tavern game. i.e.: You bounce the iron ball on the bar and try to get it to land in the cup. If you made it, your drink was free. Kinda like the modern day "quarter in the shot glass" game :laughing7:

In any case, it doesn't really matter, the thing is, it's your find, and nothing can beat that. (Is it too late to vote Banner on this??) I'm voting anyway!!!

Eagle

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

EagleDown said:
A most excellent find!!

I had considered the "Stamp Licker" also, but in thinking about it, I'm not so sure. All of the manufactured stamp wetters I'm familiar with were primarily made out of ceramic. (That is, antique ones.)
I imagine they could have been cast out of iron, but even with a coat of enamel, iron tends to rust.

Actually, what it puts me in mind of would be a bar/tavern game. i.e.: You bounce the iron ball on the bar and try to get it to land in the cup. If you made it, your drink was free. Kinda like the modern day "quarter in the shot glass" game :laughing7:

In any case, it doesn't really matter, the thing is, it's your find, and nothing can beat that. (Is it too late to vote Banner on this??) I'm voting anyway!!!

Eagle

Eagle, the bar game is a good idea too, and if not a 'bar' game, perhaps a child's tossing game. As I stated above, shooting marbles was such a popular game back turning the Vic. era, maybe this was a spin-off of a marble game.

Thank you for the Banner vote on Sambo, and no I don't think it is too late to vote. Here's the link:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,423067.0.html

Cres, I hope you didn't mind that I posted the link. As I said in my post, I don't mind sharing at all; if you had not posted your Sambo on my link, we may have never known its true value and rarity.

Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I found it!!!!!! Check out this website:
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5799262

This one is obviously a newer (1950s) model, but it's the same theory. Yours is the 'real deal' from the 1880s. :thumbsup:

Breezie

Attachments

• SamboMarbleGame.jpg
    SamboMarbleGame.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 836
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Breezie said:
EagleDown said:
A most excellent find!!

Eagle

Eagle, the bar game is a good idea too, and if not a 'bar' game, perhaps a child's tossing game. As I stated above, shooting marbles was such a popular game back turning the Vic. era, maybe this was a spin-off of a marble game.

Thank you for the Banner vote on Sambo, and no I don't think it is too late to vote. Here's the link:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,423067.0.html

Cres, I hope you didn't mind that I posted the link. As I said in my post, I don't mind sharing at all; if you had not posted your Sambo on my link, we may have never known its true value and rarity.

Breezie

Breezie said:
I found it!!!!!! Check out this website:
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5799262

This one is obviously a newer (1950s) model, but it's the same theory. Yours is the 'real deal' from the 1880s. :thumbsup:

Breezie

WoW Breezie.. That is some great research there! Pretty much solves the ID on it! Thanks Very Much! .. and like you said, there is plenty of room on here, and I am honored to be associated (in a round about way) with your Sambo cap gun! Two fun pieces of history with the same name!

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

EagleDown said:
A most excellent find!!

Eagle

Thank you very much Eagle!

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hmmm, You did a great piece of research there. BUT, even though I shouldn't do this at my age, I'm going to crawl out on a limb here. Please, don't shake the tree. :laughing9: :laughing9:

I tend to feel that the "modern game" shown here might have been a "revival variant" on the old game. My logical thinking keeps telling me that if an iron ball were being used, and if the fit is as close as it appears to be in the "Modern" one, it would be very difficult for a small child to pick it up. :dontknow:

Anyway, it's something to ponder. :laughing7: :laughing7:

Eagle

P.S. You're very welcome!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread