Man on a Mission...

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. OK, I get out of work and I have a strong desire to find a silver coin. It rained today and was actually overcast and breezy so not too hot at quitting time. I have a permission about 3 miles from work so I head there to work for a silver coin. I picked a sidewalk-curb section next to my permission and went to work. Trying NOT to dig low VDI's is nearly impossible for me but, I did manage to go over a few. I worked about 45 minutes and got an 81 VDI on my Makro Racer 2. I dug the plug and rooted around and found my 1941 Merc dime. Scanned the hole for more and got the 1944 Wheatie. By now the sun is coming out and it's hot and humid as heck so I pull stakes and head home for some sun tea and AC. The other coins in the photos are "pocket change". The 1968 S mint Jefferson nickel appears to be a "proof" strike coin. Never seen an old nickel look so shiny in my life. If anyone knows about proof strikes and this nickel let me know what ya' think. Any how, I got my silver and beat feet. Felt darn good. BTW, I got me a HEMI too.:headbang: Thanks for stopping by. Kurios1

1941 Merc @ Brian's 001.jpg 1941 Merc @ Brian's 003.jpg 1941 Merc @ Brian's 002.jpg 1941 Merc @ Brian's 004.jpg 1941 Merc @ Brian's 005.jpg

Upvote 18

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, that nickle has a different look to it alright. great silver find too

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Kurios. Love those Mercs. I would say there is a good chance your nickel was from a proof set. Someone probably broke it out and spent it. That is happening more and more these days. 1968 was the first year the mint struck proofs (for the nickel) in San Francisco, instead of Philadelphia. Nice find.

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Kurios. Love those Mercs. I would say there is a good chance your nickel was from a proof set. Someone probably broke it out and spent it. That is happening more and more these days. 1968 was the first year the mint struck proofs (for the nickel) in San Francisco, instead of Philadelphia. Nice find.

I am believing you are correct on that. Gotta' be pretty desperate to crack open a proof set. Hard times upon us.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your great finds my friend and I think you're right about that nickel!!! :icon_thumright: Mission Accomplished!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread