Sword pommel, dagger cross-guard and other relics.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, despite the constant thunderstorms managed to get out for a few short hunts on the week end. Here are some of the finds.

Got my very first sword pommel. Was extremely deep but I managed to pull it from under the roots. A very solid and heavy piece.

DSC_1623.JPG
DSC_1620.JPG
DSC_1619.JPG
DSC_1621.JPG

An other dagger or sword cross-guard. Very similar in size to my last one ( http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/541626-sword-dagger-guard-some-silver-more-finds-early-site.html) but the motif is cast rather than carved. My previous guard had a fox head as a design this one seems to have three beavers on each side (unless I'm seing things).

DSC_1633.JPG
DSC_1636b.jpg
DSC_1639.jpg
DSC_1640.JPG
DSC_1641.jpg

A very unusual iron tool that looks like an iron spurtle. Feels very old. Found not far from my trade axe so might be fur trade related as well. Despite it's age it's well preserved which is unsurprising knowing the conservation state of other iron relics from this site.

DSC_1609.jpg
DSC_1610.JPG
DSC_1611.JPG
DSC_1613.JPG
DSC_1614.JPG

A beautiful musket flint. Obviously dropped and in a perfect unused condition. Never found one before that small.

DSC_1629.JPG
DSC_1630.JPG

And I'm not sure what it is item. Thought at first it might be a broken iron arrowhead but had some interesting suggestions from other members of the forum saying it might have been a musket or pistol related.Since I have found an iron pistol butt stock a few feet away it sure is possible.

DSC_1615.JPG
DSC_1616.JPG
DSC_1617.JPG

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Upvote 22

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very cool finds, love them

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The last thing is a very rare hematite petrified sea horse. The spurtle is great and would conserve well.

Lastly, the pommel and guard are fantastic; congrats! I do see what looks to be a conga-line of beavers in the second pic of the guard, and so I'll have to agree with you. It's a bit funny and I'm not totally convinced, but given the way beaver pelts radically shaped North America it would make sense that they ended up in contemporary design. But dancing??

You continue to do great work up there, well done!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Beavers! Yeah, they do resemble beavers. You might not be nuts after all!:tongue3: Great bunch of relics. Very unique and interesting finds. Well done.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some mighty fine relics! Great post...

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent finds again man. That dagger guard is on my list. And that's a beautiful flint - I had the luck of finding a spill rounds balls and flints (Ahab put me right on them), the flints remain one of my favorite finds.

Congrats

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The last thing is a very rare hematite petrified sea horse. The spurtle is great and would conserve well.

Lastly, the pommel and guard are fantastic; congrats! I do see what looks to be a conga-line of beavers in the second pic of the guard, and so I'll have to agree with you. It's a bit funny and I'm not totally convinced, but given the way beaver pelts radically shaped North America it would make sense that they ended up in contemporary design. But dancing??

You continue to do great work up there, well done!

Thank you Ken. I'm not 100% sure neither but as you said, knowing how important were the beaver pelts at that period it's very possible.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you've hit the jackpot as far as weaponry related artifacts are concerned. Love that pommel!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! You were definitely on an edged weapons roll there.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy Beavers! Yeah, they do resemble beavers. You might not be nuts after all!:tongue3: Great bunch of relics. Very unique and interesting finds. Well done.

Lol. Thanks, I wasn't sure.:thumbsup:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! That site gives a bunch of nice relics. Like that petrified sea horse too. Looks also like a furniture decoration broken at the mounting hole. Sea horse is rather to the point. :tongue3:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds again man. That dagger guard is on my list. And that's a beautiful flint - I had the luck of finding a spill rounds balls and flints (Ahab put me right on them), the flints remain one of my favorite finds.

Congrats

Yep right in front of me lol. Gorgeous flints jumping out of the dirt into Steve's hands. Those are some crazy nice relics that most will never recover my friend. That flint is awesome. I've only dug one and I love that thing

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congrats

Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread