ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When I first started metal detecting while diving, I hit a lake called Cass lake in Pontiac. I kept finding these things. Nobody has ever been able to say what they are. Most had a rubber band around the outside.

Well I have been finding a lot of them in this river. Anybody new care to guess what they are? I found the answer today. They ring up like gold rings. Will enlighten everyone after a few guesses!

Saucer is actually steel with a porcelain finish. Also got a brass headlight rim.

A merc, rosey and silver ring. Two junk rings. The smaller one has Luke 6-31 stamped on the outside. What is left of a B-17 and a nice Noxema jar was about it. Oldest wheat is a 1920. The gold ring says LeGant 14K inside. It also has a pear with a P in the middle of it. 5.93 grams

Upvote 16

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like another great hunt under the water, Congrats! I'm going to guess they are some kind of cap or seal to a bottle. Thinking that people probably threw them in the water after drinking whatever was in the bottles.

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Awesome day! Is that a wax seal? What's in the stamp on it?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanna dive soooo bad some day!!!!! Ill guess those are the tops to some kind of womens lipstick plastic or paint !!!!!!!

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Awesome day! Is that a wax seal? What's in the stamp on it?

Not a wax seal. Bottom is smooth. However it was gold plated. When I first saw it I also thought it would be engraved or something. Maybe something was glued to it at one time? Unfortunately when I start digging, I can't see a thing with the muck stirred up. I just put the finds in my pouch and investigate them when I get out.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you find some really cool finds with some sweet finds as well and are pretty regular at it, are you able to see very well? I know that water can be from good to lousy on clarity. Also, you were pretty close on that class ring but it wasn't stainless.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
you find some really cool finds with some sweet finds as well and are pretty regular at it, are you able to see very well? I know that water can be from good to lousy on clarity. Also, you were pretty close on that class ring but it wasn't stainless.

I can see until I start digging, then absolutely nothing. I don't need to see anyway. I can hunt in zero visibility with no problems. Running into trees and branches spook me a little. You never know what you are going to bump into down there. Visibility in the Detroit river today was about 5' until I dug then nothing. Thanks.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the one good ring and the silvers, Scuba. As far as the mystery items...about the time something comes to mind, the rubber band throws me...excited to see what they are! Ddf

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I used to free dive a lot, spent a year in Okinawa back around 72, loved to spearfish ect. An elderly man lost a rod and reel on a local river and I volunteered to look for it a couple of days later. it was in a long hole about a hundred yards long, fifty wide and up to 15 ft deep. No big deal until I found out it was so black that it was just feeling around. the huge rocks and logs made it pretty scary and after about twenty minutes, I gave up. really miss the diving part, I never got to use tanks, just free diving. it is another world under the water, can be so peaceful and beautiful but also so dangerous in a heartbeat. glad you are able to do it as much as you are.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent-tgreat-awesome-f-Stock-Photo.jpg

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some nice finds Scuba!:icon_thumright: As for the little disks with the rubber band, not sure, would figure that with the rubber band, they were either for grip or to turn but you did not mention any threading. Some sort of cap for a small watersealed container? I am interested in finding out what they really are!

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Mystery find is a bottle cap of sorts. The rubber band was the seal between it and the bottle. I can't even find one googling them. No idea on age but I am sure they were on beer bottles since I am finding so many. Now we all know.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is neat, never would have thought that. wonder just how old they are, let us know if you find out anything else on them. Those are interesting.:icon_thumright:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on some nice finds! As far as the bottle stoppers go, I bet they were attached to the old ceramic flippy tops/caps for beer bottles that were released by a steel lock. I drank quite a few of these in Germany and Belgium. See pic below.

Frank

flippybeercaps.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Folks. The metal stopper is called a Baltimore Loop. It was used from 1885 - 1905 in blob top bottles. Common in some areas but not others. I just reached out to Bottle Mike of Detroit that is the leading authority on Detroit area bottles. You can google it also.

JFN

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the B-17 is actually a B-24 Liberator. just for the record.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
the B-17 is actually a B-24 Liberator. just for the record.

THANK you! I don't know my WW2 airplanes obviously, except for a couple. The P-38 Lightening, and the P-51 Mustang I found the drop fuel tank for in Lake St. Clair outside of Selfridge ANG a couple of years back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread