Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I was able to get out a little bit this weekend. I tried a new spot and eventually fell back to an old spot that's treated me well.

The new spot was a bit frustrating. I had permission for one section of land, but not the adjacent one. So just as you guessed, the home was right on the property line and half inaccessible. The dividing line was a well used right-of-way, so I wanted no trouble. Anyway, I was able to score a few unmarked flat buttons, a reign guide, a sand-cast sinker, and a small barrel-tap.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502671347.400906.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502671357.785142.jpg

From local knowledge, the sinker likely date to the turn of the 19th century. Although it cannot be accurately dated by the buttons it was found around, it could tip into the 18th century. Very cool

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502671459.149912.jpg

The other spot I went to for a little more exploration was a bit of a let down. I'd hunted the main site quite extensively in the past, but decided to walk the path to the shoreline to see if there was any evidence of a boat access point. No such luck.

So I went back to the site and scored an instant favourite - a Native point. With some help from the Gents (Charl and Mark Todd) from the Native American forum, I found this particular one dates very late, and likely to the last occupation of Native Americans in the area (likely no later than the King Phillip War of 1675-1676). After reading into the history in my area, all but a handful of Native Americans were in the area after 1660. Most had been run off, killed, or died off from disease (Smallpox), so there's a good chance this Point dates to the mid-17th century or earlier.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502671472.191673.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502671480.464282.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502671493.271182.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502671506.933828.jpg

Although too short, it was a great two-site hunt day. Also found was a mystery copper.

Enjoy and good hunts everyone,

Steve ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502676435.974311.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 40

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve--great post and finds. A very unique native piece and love the buttons! Congrats. -Lisa & John

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice stuff, i like the point

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done Scrappy. Good to see you getting out.

I like that point!

Thanks buddy. It's certainly been tough getting out. Funny enough, while on my family camping trip in Northern Maine, I go for a hike and find a stone wall and clearing 1/4 mi from my camp! It was wicked old, but my wife threatened to kill me in my sleep if I detected. Oh well

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You know, Scrappy, the more I look at your point, I realize it's not just a point, but a true "work of art"!! That would be a "centerpiece" to anyone's collection!!!!
Best of Luck!

Iowa Dale

My Indian Artifacts collection is very small. So small in fact that I can't make it a center piece, as I only have two items. Ha! Lol

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Bud. Ken passed along to me a picture of your example. Very cool indeed! So you find a lot up there by you? This is my first and only, and a bit of a bucket lister.

Steve

I have only found one of those, much simpler design than yours. I agree they are a great find and the fact that such a thin piece of copper survived for so long and in a such an awesome state makes it even greater.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely love that point:notworthy: Great barrel tap and buttons:occasion14:

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That point is so cool Steve!! That must have been incredible to see that pop out - WTG man!

I was excited and hopeful, but didn't want to get too stoked until I got confirmation. My favorite part of the point is the bend in the tip. The slight bend could suggest it glanced off of a tree, or possibly even an animal. I think THATs the coolest!!

Now that I know the age and history, I can't stop looking at it;)

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a fantastic collection of objects. Great and unusual point! I haven't found anything like that, but I sure enjoy learning about those cultural intersections.

I love the dandy, and that tap look wicked old (and I daresay kinda adorable). Good to see you hunting again.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
WTG on the copper point, it's one of those finds that just stand out on its own
The tap is nice also, great hunt.

Thanks Pepp. If I had found nothing else that day I'd still be ecstatic about the point. The beauty of detecting is you never know what'll come out of the ground.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds Steve. Love that dandy button and the copper point is wicked cool.

It was one of those "sleeper" dandy buttons. I thought it was a plain one until it went in for it's cleaning. I love those!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve--great post and finds. A very unique native piece and love the buttons! Congrats. -Lisa & John

Much appreciated Lisa. I'm still hoping to find a matching example of the point. Eastern Long Island was a very isolated place in the 1600's and I'm wondering where this point originated.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have only found one of those, much simpler design than yours. I agree they are a great find and the fact that such a thin piece of copper survived for so long and in a such an awesome state makes it even greater.

The soil where I found the point was luckily very gentle. Coastal soil in the NorthEast is quite nice overall actually. Jersey...egh...not so much. Lol

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What a fantastic collection of objects. Great and unusual point! I haven't found anything like that, but I sure enjoy learning about those cultural intersections.

I love the dandy, and that tap look wicked old (and I daresay kinda adorable). Good to see you hunting again.

Thanks Ken. The tap is quite adorable. As Brad put it in a text, "That's either the world's largest fishing weight or the world's smallest tap". I guess it was the worlds smallest.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502926461.239803.jpg

Cheers

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Native American point! Nicely done!!

Nice buttons and I like that small barrel tap..... ahhh I wonder beer or wine....
Cheers ! Congrats and HH

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice Native American point! Nicely done!!

Nice buttons and I like that small barrel tap..... ahhh I wonder beer or wine....
Cheers ! Congrats and HH

Thank you DD. The tap is certainly an interesting piece but I wonder what sized cask is was used for? Perhaps it was used to serve rum or whiskey?

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Bud. Ken passed along to me a picture of your example. Very cool indeed! So you find a lot up there by you? This is my first and only, and a bit of a bucket lister.

Steve

Actually found a Native Trade Ring with a design that resembles your point. Really interesting to see the resemblance in those two objects found hundreds of miles away from each other.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions