Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The last three and a half weeks were pretty miserable. Started off with lower back killing me and then it went into sciatica that was even worse. So only a short hunt with grandson for worms. Then it was off to chiropractor, then a full body massage, neither helped and then to doctors for pills. Finally got to feeling somewhat better and then yesterday, a totally wasted day. Rode VA van for over three hours one way to VA hospital only to find out that my appointment had been cancelled. Then the customary wait all day before heading back three hours. But this morning I actually felt pretty and so I headed for my permission to get a couple of hours in. I hunted hard in this trashy area to only find one memorial. I finally managed two 44 cal round balls as I worked my way back to the truck. About 20 yards from truck, I found a dime and then 3 or 4 memorials. The ground was jack hammer hard and I had another "memorial" signal which I almost didn't dig for being so hot and tired. But I did and almost quit again because the digging was more like clawing and scraping. THEN I saw the thin glint of silver and immediately knew what it was, My first barber dime, 1911 D mint:headbang: then a foot or less from there, a wheatie no date. Then the Oklahoma token and Garrett token before I got back to the truck. Not sure what the Garrett token is about, I guess the Oklahoma one is some sort of tax token. So, I was pretty stoked and headed to the Sonic to get a cold drink and on the way out spotted a set of car keys off the side of the highway. So I pulled over, picked them up, had a chevy key, jeep key and a ford key plus a remote. They had been run over a time or two but still in great shape so I had my wife to post them on Facebook. I was planning on using the radio and local paper to see if I could locate the owners. Thirty minutes ago, a woman contacted us, almost in tears as she said how they had been everywhere trying to find them only to see our post on Facebook. So, Keys have found their owner and all are happy. So, today really made up for not being able to do anything all that time. I have been telling my wife that there had to be a barber of some sort in this permission and I finally found one. :coffee2:

Attachments

• 2772.jpeg
    2772.jpeg
    590.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 2771.jpeg
    2771.jpeg
    692.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 2769.jpeg
    2769.jpeg
    827 KB · Views: 120
  • 2794.jpeg
    2794.jpeg
    341 KB · Views: 94
  • 2791.jpeg
    2791.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 2770.jpeg
    2770.jpeg
    601.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 2765[1].jpeg
    2765[1].jpeg
    634.4 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 40
OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find! That J. Garrett token was made by the August Kern Barber Supply Co. when it was located at 114 N. Broadway in St. Louis from 1890-1900. The Kern company was among a dozen or so St. Louis companies that either made or had made for them tokens of the "St. Louis Part-incuse" series. These tokens were struck with two-part dies - the outer ring was custom-made for the particular end customer and the inner part was a "stock" die that usually indicated the denomination. The bulk of the Kern tokens were made for barbers, many of which had pool rooms in connection with their business, but the 12½¢ (one bit = 2 for a quarter) denomination may have been used by a saloon where that was the typical price for a whiskey drink in the day. With your permission, I'd post your pics on tokencatalog.com where several people do a lot of research to attribute maverick tokens like this one.
John in the Great 208

wow, thank you for the info. I really appreciate the info and of course you may post the pics. this is way cool and my wife will flip when she gets back(visiting daughter). this is but another reason I love this site, someone either knows the answer or where to find it.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some really great stuff there, I love the token! It looks pretty old too. I looked up "Kylin House" and it has something to do with China, mythology or something like that. Very strange, but it sounds like it could be the same of an old Chinese restaurant or store of some sort.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! That J. Garrett token was made by the August Kern Barber Supply Co. when it was located at 114 N. Broadway in St. Louis from 1890-1900. The Kern company was among a dozen or so St. Louis companies that either made or had made for them tokens of the "St. Louis Part-incuse" series. These tokens were struck with two-part dies - the outer ring was custom-made for the particular end customer and the inner part was a "stock" die that usually indicated the denomination. The bulk of the Kern tokens were made for barbers, many of which had pool rooms in connection with their business, but the 12½¢ (one bit = 2 for a quarter) denomination may have been used by a saloon where that was the typical price for a whiskey drink in the day. With your permission, I'd post your pics on tokencatalog.com where several people do a lot of research to attribute maverick tokens like this one.
John in the Great 208

Do you know anything about this Kylin House? Sounds like the name of an old Chinese opium den or something.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some really great stuff there, I love the token! It looks pretty old too. I looked up "Kylin House" and it has something to do with China, mythology or something like that. Very strange, but it sounds like it could be the same of an old Chinese restaurant or store of some sort.

I had thought that it said Kyl in house, wasn't sure

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
I had thought that it said Kyl in house, wasn't sure
dirtlooter - put a magnifying glass on that Garrett token and see if you can determine once and for all what the name of the house is. I read it as Kylio. I'll bet it is the name of the hotel/boarding house where Garrett had his bar. It should be a great clue as soon as we can determine exactly the word.
John

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dirtlooter - put a magnifying glass on that Garrett token and see if you can determine once and for all what the name of the house is. I read it as Kylio. I'll bet it is the name of the hotel/boarding house where Garrett had his bar. It should be a great clue as soon as we can determine exactly the word.
John

John, I picked it again with a toothpick and it could be an O. I have one of those big lighted magnifying lamps plus used a magnifying glass. I have it soaking in lemon juice right now to see it that will help. you are probably right. I have macular degeneration pretty bad in my left eye and very mildly in the right so the bifocals have their work cut out for them.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happy day! Sounds like you deserved a good win after all that you've been through! I just had a somewhat similar day that I'll be posting in a minute.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Idahotokens John, I did a little electrolysis and then cleaned, oiled and then lightly went over all raised letters ect with a graphite or lead pencil. it is either an O or a Q. on the back, in the bigger letters in a circle, it says St Louis across bottom, upper portion in circle says AUG. KEANBSCO (the best that I can tell). in the center of the token, it has 11*(star)M with below that I think, 83 W*Y .. there is a star above and below center writing. I hope this helps you.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool post dirtlooter
Hope you stay feeling better, amazing you found the owner of the Keys (bet it would have been costly to replace all of them).

When I first saw the Brass Token ' I thought it was special , & the Barber Dime ..HECK YEA!

I've only scored 3 in almost 20 years. - Hunting Woods mostly but Still???

I pray you luck continues.
Davers

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And a nice Barber it is!! Other finds nice also, Congrats and HH

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Idahotokens John, I did a little electrolysis and then cleaned, oiled and then lightly went over all raised letters ect with a graphite or lead pencil. it is either an O or a Q. on the back, in the bigger letters in a circle, it says St Louis across bottom, upper portion in circle says AUG. KEANBSCO (the best that I can tell). in the center of the token, it has 11*(star)M with below that I think, 83 W*Y .. there is a star above and below center writing. I hope this helps you.

Thanks! Now to figure out KYLIO HOUSE. Here's a pic of the reverse of one like yours.
AUG. KERN B. S. CO. / 114 N. / BD'WAY / ST. LOUIS

jOHN

Attachments

• IMAGE_REV_321967.jpg
    IMAGE_REV_321967.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks! Now to figure out KYLIO HOUSE. Here's a pic of the reverse of one like yours.
AUG. KERN B. S. CO. / 114 N. / BD'WAY / ST. LOUIS

jOHN
wow, thanks John for the pic of the reverse side, that makes a lot more sense. tokens are so cool, they seemed to have them for everything, maybe because everyone lost so much coinage for us to find. Your info has really added to the coolness of both the token and detecting. Thanks again John. Jerry/DL

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great hunt, and that token is really cool!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Barber coin, but you'll dig more of those. The Garrett token is really cool though. The first thing that struck me was the value of 12 1/2 cents - the same value as a "bit" cut from a Spanish 8 reale.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Congratulations, dirtlooter, on the barber dime. Next up, Barber quarter!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. The Barbers have been popping out all over the place lately! Great finds and congrats!!!:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread