Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The last three and a half weeks were pretty miserable. Started off with lower back killing me and then it went into sciatica that was even worse. So only a short hunt with grandson for worms. Then it was off to chiropractor, then a full body massage, neither helped and then to doctors for pills. Finally got to feeling somewhat better and then yesterday, a totally wasted day. Rode VA van for over three hours one way to VA hospital only to find out that my appointment had been cancelled. Then the customary wait all day before heading back three hours. But this morning I actually felt pretty and so I headed for my permission to get a couple of hours in. I hunted hard in this trashy area to only find one memorial. I finally managed two 44 cal round balls as I worked my way back to the truck. About 20 yards from truck, I found a dime and then 3 or 4 memorials. The ground was jack hammer hard and I had another "memorial" signal which I almost didn't dig for being so hot and tired. But I did and almost quit again because the digging was more like clawing and scraping. THEN I saw the thin glint of silver and immediately knew what it was, My first barber dime, 1911 D mint:headbang: then a foot or less from there, a wheatie no date. Then the Oklahoma token and Garrett token before I got back to the truck. Not sure what the Garrett token is about, I guess the Oklahoma one is some sort of tax token. So, I was pretty stoked and headed to the Sonic to get a cold drink and on the way out spotted a set of car keys off the side of the highway. So I pulled over, picked them up, had a chevy key, jeep key and a ford key plus a remote. They had been run over a time or two but still in great shape so I had my wife to post them on Facebook. I was planning on using the radio and local paper to see if I could locate the owners. Thirty minutes ago, a woman contacted us, almost in tears as she said how they had been everywhere trying to find them only to see our post on Facebook. So, Keys have found their owner and all are happy. So, today really made up for not being able to do anything all that time. I have been telling my wife that there had to be a barber of some sort in this permission and I finally found one. :coffee2:

Attachments

• 2772.jpeg
    2772.jpeg
    590.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 2771.jpeg
    2771.jpeg
    692.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 2769.jpeg
    2769.jpeg
    827 KB · Views: 120
  • 2794.jpeg
    2794.jpeg
    341 KB · Views: 94
  • 2791.jpeg
    2791.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 2770.jpeg
    2770.jpeg
    601.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 2765[1].jpeg
    2765[1].jpeg
    634.4 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 40

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt! A Barber or a token makes for a great day and you got both. Congrats!!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Heck of a hunt ..Congrats!
Great return too.
The barber is a hop up and down find( easy,easy on the back Mr...).
Old tokens are frosting on the cake.
Heck of a hunt........

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I really like the Garrett token. Cool. Hope you continue to heal and feel better. I've had a bad lower back for a long time and I understand how it feels. Fell off a house roof as a teenager a long time ago.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about VA scheduling mix ups and back pain. May the great physician bring you the healing Balm of Gilead. Now to the finds. Congrats on your first Barber dime. I know they are a special find and I don't have a sack full of them myself. I really am fascinated with the WAY COOL Garrett 12 1/2 cent token. The patina is super nice on that one. Grateful you have seemed to rebound from your setbacks. Keep moving forward my friend!:icon_salut:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off, congrats on your first (hopefully of many) Barber! Sorry to hear about the back issue- been there- it sucks. Great story about the keys- hopefully karma will visit your back and get you right- GL!

-- Jeff --

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt. That barber is sweet. Good luck with the back problems. One of the worst things to have.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice finds! :occasion14:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks to all, the back pain has been part of my life for the last thirty years or so, too much lifting the incorrect way. it is what it is. it just gets a whole lot worse at times...a lot of you all about that but you just deal with it as best as you can. The garrett token is pretty cool, hope to try to find out more on it later. That Barber dime is just one of the ole bucket list that I have been slowly finding. it really made my day as did the token. the lady, older woman, is a nurse and really needed the keys. I am a very blessed man. Jerry/DL

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds!
HH
dts

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story...great find...good deed done...happy ending.
Very fine day!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know social media can be amazing. But I am shocked that you found the keychain owner so quickly.

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huge congrats on that Barber! :occasion14: Great story about the lost keys and getting them back via social media. :icon_thumright:

My back bugs me too and metal detecting really gets me sore. My son recommended I try a foam roller from Wally World ($23, big black Golds Gym model). He swears by it. I got one and tried it. I rolled it underneath my back from lower back to base of neck and it popped my back a few times. You have to relax your back while you do it. My back was 95% better the next day and quit hurting by the second day. Best of luck!

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find! That J. Garrett token was made by the August Kern Barber Supply Co. when it was located at 114 N. Broadway in St. Louis from 1890-1900. The Kern company was among a dozen or so St. Louis companies that either made or had made for them tokens of the "St. Louis Part-incuse" series. These tokens were struck with two-part dies - the outer ring was custom-made for the particular end customer and the inner part was a "stock" die that usually indicated the denomination. The bulk of the Kern tokens were made for barbers, many of which had pool rooms in connection with their business, but the 12½¢ (one bit = 2 for a quarter) denomination may have been used by a saloon where that was the typical price for a whiskey drink in the day. With your permission, I'd post your pics on tokencatalog.com where several people do a lot of research to attribute maverick tokens like this one.
John in the Great 208

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Barber coin. Your Oklahoma token is a tax token, but I do not know anything about the Garrett token. Great finds, and I hope your back feels better soon.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know social media can be amazing. But I am shocked that you found the keychain owner so quickly.

not as shocked as we were but this is a fairly small town. My wife asked for it to be shared, the woman stated that she and her husband had just got thru praying that they would turn up. She had taken something out of the back of the vehicle and had set the keys on the back somewhere. The crazy part is that the keys rode back there over seven miles, she stopped and got a cold drink at where else, sonic and lost them as she left there. pretty wild! I'd call that an answered prayer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread