🥇 BANNER 1925 GOLD $2.5 coin!!!! Still in shock!!!!

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy all. Haven't posted in a while due to my new job I got a few months ago. I've been out for a few quickies over the last month or so, but haven't found too much. A good amount of silver I guess, but nothing compares to what happened to me today!

So I got an invite from a friend of a friend to come hunt his house in an older part of the city! I quickly jumped on the opportunity because I am NOT a door-knocker, so I don't get to hunt very many private property yards. I got out there today at about 9am and started swinging. Right away I started finding modern clad and not very many deep targets. After an hour, I finally got my first good target: 1940-s quarter. First silver quarter in a while!!!

About when I was starting to think about leaving, I noticed someone coming up to approach me. Another neighbor had seen me detecting and came over to ask me if I'd like to detect his yard...."well, yeah!!" I said. Can't pass up some more 1920's ground!

About 15 minutes into swinging, I got a solid 61 signal on my gold-bug pro. Typically, I don't dig most 60s signals because 99.9% of the time, it's a pull tab!! However, this 61 sounded a lot different! I could tell it wasn't a pulltab, and I know I've found 2 gold rings that were both 60-61 signals. So I was hoping for an old lost gold ring....boy was I wrong! Not even 2 inches below the surface, with my first scoop with the lesche, I see a dime-sized gold colored coin...my heart starts to pound. I think, "no way is this a gold coin! No way". Yes, it indeed was, and she's a beauty! There's some small scratches on it, but other than that, it looks so amazing!!! I'm still in shock from what I pulled from the ground. Of course, I have always wanted to find a gold coin of ANY style, (as does any detectorist). But I guess I just never thought I'd see the day. Just goes to show: you NEVER know when your best find will pop up outta the ground. Just have to swing that coil over it and decide to dig it!

Happy hunting everyone, and good luck!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510526783.262319.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510526806.976489.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510526831.050599.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510526854.029025.jpg

Upvote 157

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the town my parents live, they have a lady friend that has a beautiful old Victorian house on an acre of property. I've wanted to detect it for years, and kept pestering my parents to ask the lady if she'd let me detect. They finally asked her, and she said I could, but only if she kept all the finds. I was like WTH? ??? Ahh yeah, I'll be right there :tongue3: Should've told her, sure no problem, you can have everything, except any coins I find, because that's how I pay for batteries, gas, etc :thumbsup:

HH,
Brian

GREAT GOLD COIN, and even greater recovery. I know I'll scratch mine, if I'm ever lucky enough to find one. Haha. Never skip a 60 signal! Even if it sounds like a pull tab. The day I can differentiate a pull tab from a gold ring at 2" will be a very good day. You've got it made, sir.

Responding to Cal_Cobra: I've had a few of these recently. One was a permission I got with an old family friend. Was ironing out the logistics of making the 3hr drive up north to hunt, come to find out they want all the finds to either be donated to a museum or 'left with the house'. First off, we may be "treasure hunters", but 99.95% of us never find an item a museum would bat an eyelash at, and secondly, why do you want to put a crusty braided hair large cent into a shoebox in the closet after I worked my butt off to find it? It's worth 5 bucks, if. We search for lost items because we derive pleasure from rescuing and also keeping the history. An organized hunt or a hunt benefiting a historical society is completely different. I'm not breaking my back for 8 hours and burning a tank of gas to come home empty handed, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that mindset.

The other permission I received was actually a lady who reached out to me and said "oh oh, you should come do my yard! We have an old papermill and farmland and and..." say no more, right? Well, it was another 2 or 3 hour drive so I like to iron out the finer points before making the trip. When I got to asking about the finds, she tells me plain as day "oh, well, to be honest I wasn't expecting you to keep any of the finds". How disconnected can you really be? You want to hire a historical/archeological survey team to come out and find a couple coppers, maybe an arrow head, then that's your prerogative. I am just a hobbyist and free time is sacred. You can hire your local archeological folks and have it take months to accomplish, or you can have me come out, find a couple interesting tidbits, share the findings, and then we part ways.

I think I'm doing this wrong. Maybe it's time to bring a few non-dug merc dimes with me so I can throw them at home owners that think I'm going to make them rich. I blame recent television shows for people's ignorance.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin. Don't you love it when they come out of the ground looking like the day they were lost? If the soil doesn't get disturbed much, even scratches will be minimal. BANNER.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All obsolete gold coin finds should make Banner ! What a beauty - as mentioned in an earlier reply , If i found that I would have it set in a coin bezel ,so it could be worn on a chain . They make these in gold for every denomination .

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first gold - looks lovely.

Your following statement worries me a little;
''I don't dig most 60s signals''
You need to get out of the habit of digging numbers, its dangerous. Unless of course you don't mind passing up loads of great finds.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, a big congrats on the gold coin, that's awesome!!

Second, I'd feel the same way. All the time and energy we spend detecting, when you finally do make THE find, it should be yours, you earned it.

In the town my parents live, they have a lady friend that has a beautiful old Victorian house on an acre of property. I've wanted to detect it for years, and kept pestering my parents to ask the lady if she'd let me detect. They finally asked her, and she said I could, but only if she kept all the finds. I was like WTH? ??? Ahh yeah, I'll be right there :tongue3: Should've told her, sure no problem, you can have everything, except any coins I find, because that's how I pay for batteries, gas, etc :thumbsup:

HH,
Brian
Personally I would have taken that as a starting point - it wasn't a NO.
Its then down to you to negotiate a better deal.
We have done several places where we have given up most of the finds (although they are few & far between). Actually we a licence with a big land-owner that states in the written contract that they keep everything we find. However, in reality they have conceded everything to us other than 1 coin that we had to pay half of the market value to keep. So there is always a way.

Last edited:

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What we all want and most will never get. Congrats big time! [emoji2][emoji106]

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first gold - looks lovely.

Your following statement worries me a little;
''I don't dig most 60s signals''
You need to get out of the habit of digging numbers, its dangerous. Unless of course you don't mind passing up loads of great finds.

Yeah, you definitely got me on that one. I can't lie and say I dig all 60s signals, because I don't! I guess the situation dictates. When I'm at a park where 90% of all my targets are a 61 (pulltab)....it's hard to dig em all. But that being said, I have no excuse. It's just me being lazy and ASSUMING they are pulltabs. I try my best to dig everything above where I Disc, but as we all know, sometimes that doesn't work out. After finding that coin however, you can bet your sweet butt I'll be digging all 60s signals haha. Thanks for the response [emoji106]🏻

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 8 or 9 gold rings that i have found , have mostly come in with nickel / pulltab signals ,As you might imagine I have become disciplined at digging most of these !

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok this find is unreal congrats. Fresno? WOW something good came from this area. Banner

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GREAT GOLD COIN, and even greater recovery. I know I'll scratch mine, if I'm ever lucky enough to find one. Haha. Never skip a 60 signal! Even if it sounds like a pull tab. The day I can differentiate a pull tab from a gold ring at 2" will be a very good day. You've got it made, sir.

Responding to Cal_Cobra: I've had a few of these recently. One was a permission I got with an old family friend. Was ironing out the logistics of making the 3hr drive up north to hunt, come to find out they want all the finds to either be donated to a museum or 'left with the house'. First off, we may be "treasure hunters", but 99.95% of us never find an item a museum would bat an eyelash at, and secondly, why do you want to put a crusty braided hair large cent into a shoebox in the closet after I worked my butt off to find it? It's worth 5 bucks, if. We search for lost items because we derive pleasure from rescuing and also keeping the history. An organized hunt or a hunt benefiting a historical society is completely different. I'm not breaking my back for 8 hours and burning a tank of gas to come home empty handed, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that mindset.

The other permission I received was actually a lady who reached out to me and said "oh oh, you should come do my yard! We have an old papermill and farmland and and..." say no more, right? Well, it was another 2 or 3 hour drive so I like to iron out the finer points before making the trip. When I got to asking about the finds, she tells me plain as day "oh, well, to be honest I wasn't expecting you to keep any of the finds". How disconnected can you really be? You want to hire a historical/archeological survey team to come out and find a couple coppers, maybe an arrow head, then that's your prerogative. I am just a hobbyist and free time is sacred. You can hire your local archeological folks and have it take months to accomplish, or you can have me come out, find a couple interesting tidbits, share the findings, and then we part ways.

I think I'm doing this wrong. Maybe it's time to bring a few non-dug merc dimes with me so I can throw them at home owners that think I'm going to make them rich. I blame recent television shows for people's ignorance.

Brad!!!! Thanks for the response man. It's an honor coming from someone as well-known and successful in the hobby as you! One of the first thoughts I had after recovering this piece was, "man, the Hoover boys haven't even found a gold coin yet...this can't be real." Haha. That being said, I on the other hand have never pulled 1700s US flowing-hair silver from the ground ;) that find of yours is WAY more rare than a lil gold coin hehe. But hey, this hobby is full of surprises. You never know where or when something amazing will be recovered. That is part of the beauty of what we do. Recovering and preserving these pieces of history I believe is very important. Plus that rush you get? So hard to explain to non-diggers! Absolutely amazing!!!

Yeah I'm not much of a fan of giving up all my finds. Don't know if I could do that. Maybe if it were for a place like the "Gettysburg battlefield " and we had a one-time offer to detect it for a day, but had to turn in all the finds for the Gettysburg museum....Hell yes I would do that!!! Nobody is allowed on those grounds with a detector, and for good reason! So a case like that, and I'd be down to forfeit my goods...but not at the house down the street! Plus, like someone else mentioned earlier: who knows if I'll ever find another gold coin! May NEVER happen again. I couldn't give that up man. No way! I say the "pocketful of Mercs" trick sounds like a plan from now on! Lol....everyone is a winner!!! Hahaha.

Brad-thanks again for the comment, brother! Congrats on the marriage! I hope the honeymoon was fun! Hope to see ya in a future THB video. You guys keep up the good work! Laters!!

Sgt Kyle

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pardon me while I wipe the drool from my chin........gotta learn to shut the old gaping maw when admiring finds like yours!! Banner!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread