Bucket List of a Life Time

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
A good friend and neighbor recently asked me for help with a Bounty Hunter detector that he received from his parents when he was a teenager. His Dad did due diligence in helping him find those elusive hidden treasures but the machine just "crackled and popped" every time they used it. It took just a few minutes to discover that the pin connector wasn't fully seated and my friend was up and running. I took him to a local high school and he was elated just to find pull tabs and clad, the best Christmas present that he had ever received...worked.

He used it sporadically over summer and eventually like most of us, became dejected with the finds. He stopped by yesterday, quizzing me on discrimination settings, swing speed, pin pointing. We agreed to meet up at an old home site today, a property that his Dad owns. When I pulled into the driveway, I was very surprised to see he and his two daughters already giving it a go! Any of us that have detected with children know, this isn't the best scenario for helping an adult learn the hobby, or even the best conditions for hunting with your own kids (I have two boys).

Obviously, the daughters were just completely thrilled with anything that was found, even the grubs and worms. Being the good Dad, my friend rotated the detector between the three of them, taking turns to find and dig that "loud" signal. Around hour 2, I was able to work with him on the finer points of detecting, helping him get intimate with his machine. He was a great student! He knocked down many firsts today. His first "old" coin, his first wheatie, his first silver and he joined the 1800's club as well as the token and button club.

Together, we found an 1896 Indian Head, 1911 Barber and a 1953 wheatie. I didn't include images of the token/button as they needed something more than field cleaning to display properly.

After so many years participating in the hobby, today, my bucket list is finally complete, I wouldn't trade today for all of the things scrolling across the top.

Attachments

• IMG_1689.JPG
    IMG_1689.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1688.JPG
    IMG_1688.JPG
    972.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1682.JPG
    IMG_1682.JPG
    761.6 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 26

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work, good going!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt, cute kids.

I remember when my daughter found a Kennedy half, she was out detecting in the backyard by herself and came running in like she found the holy grail, OMG LOOK WHAT I FOUND LOOK WHAT I FOUND !!
It was crusty, could tell it was a nice sized coin but not exactly what, we cleaned it off and in was a 1972.
The thrill of finding something yourself in the ground can not be replicated in any other way that I know of, if kids keep their expectations realistic [ie, most of what they find will be trash], they might start a life long hobby to pass on to others in time.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos to you for helping your buddy get acclimated tot the hobby. :thumbsup:

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post! Awesome you spent the time teaching a friend this great past time. Well done! Congrats and HH

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool write up! Passing on that knowledge paid off...

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your acts of good will. I hope you get another chance to assist others and get the warm fuzzy feeling when they pull more treasure in the future.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Detecting with children is priceless! :icon_thumleft:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story!! Congrats on a deed well done!

-- Jeff -

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These are the posts I like to see.