๐Ÿฅ‡ BANNER My oldest coin, Nova ?, 1783, just dug!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had 2 hours this morning, decided to hit the site where I have found LC's, 3 cent nickels and a slick copper. Faint wheat penny signal. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511542684.822713.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511542708.806633.jpg
Thought, "cool a token", size of a LC but a little thinner, but could tell it has some design under the crud

Rubbed some dirt off on my glove and saw US, googled Old Large Cents, found no matches. Sent pic to Steve of PA, he said it looks like a Nova Constellatio, no way! A little more rubbing and 1783, ok stopped rubbing.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511542481.455821.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511542511.106099.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511542521.189942.jpg

Can anyone confirm if this is a Nova and type? I think I need to tooth pick some more crud off, seems like it has a lot of detail under the dirt.

Dried, then flaked with wooden skewer pics:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511579032.201857.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511579043.236308.jpg
(Thanks for looking!)

Good luck out there!

Last edited:
Upvote 108

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, 10 hours later now and I'm back at home and finished trimming the Christmas tree. My 3 little ones look forward to this day quite a bit.

Sooo, I took a look at the coin again and it had fully dried out from being in the dirt for 200+ years and the dirt just started flaking off. Used a wooden skewer on edge to help some bits.I'm very happy with how it looks now. View attachment 1519475 View attachment 1519476
Not quite as nice as Scrappy's, but definitely not a toasted copper!

Beauty!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, 10 hours later now and I'm back at home and finished trimming the Christmas tree. My 3 little ones look forward to this day quite a bit.

Sooo, I took a look at the coin again and it had fully dried out from being in the dirt for 200+ years and the dirt just started flaking off. Used a wooden skewer on edge to help some bits.I'm very happy with how it looks now. View attachment 1519475 View attachment 1519476
Not quite as nice as Scrappy's, but definitely not a toasted copper!
Thad you may not realize how double lucky you you were with this one. To find it in the first place and have it in that condition. I'm very happy for you my friend!

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Nova. Still waiting patiently to cross that one off my bucket list. .... Maybe someday.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just put my banner vote in, Congrats!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several Nova's but wish I could dig one instead of buying, congrats!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Al right then, that's something to be called a "Keeper". I would not really know where to proceed from here, do not want to do anything to harm it as others had said, learned THAT one myself the hard way. Would? it be good to send that coin in " as is", to be graded and slabbed? I think others would have a better take on that then I.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Tom! Just coming back from from the Christmas Tree farm with the family, checking out the responses. Just starting to sink in. Thx!!

The cleaned pics are just amazing. The coin is a beautiful example of early US coinage. I was afraid it was going to flake away. Again, big congrats, and Iโ€™m voting banner. That would look cool up top.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Value wise I don't think it would be worth it to have it slabbed. I would just put it in a holder and enjoy it.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS!!!

As someone who's ruined a large cent or three, don't do anything else to that coin. It's gorgeous exactly as the way it is. Even if you carefully toothpicked away any more dirt, the high point details wouldn't stand out like they do. And right now they POP!

Awesome find!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a recent pic from an article that said they had discovered the oldest know silver US coin made. Look at the date which matches yous. What a amazing find!!! Very happy for you!!!

Nova.jpg

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CONGRATS!!!

As someone who's ruined a large cent or three, don't do anything else to that coin. It's gorgeous exactly as the way it is. Even if you carefully toothpicked away any more dirt, the high point details wouldn't stand out like they do. And right now they POP!

Awesome find!

Thx! I've also learned from my mistakes. Definitely leaving it as it is with a little bit of the clay remaining. I'm very happy and very lucky to have been able to save it.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That baby cleaned better than most . Wonderful eye appeal .

Wish list coin for moi .

:occasion14: Congratulations !

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a Beauty! Crosby 3-C.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a recent pic from an article that said they had discovered the oldest know silver US coin made. Look at the date which matches yous. What a amazing find!!! Very happy for you!!!

View attachment 1519646

Thx Masterjedi! My coin (or some refer to it as a token since it does not have a denomination) is from the same series of coins that were under the direction of Robert MORRIS, but mine is not silver but copper/brass. Basically US government sanctioned just before the first cent coin, The Flowing Hair Cent. Interesting that Robert Morris University is only about 5 miles from this site.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually only the pattern coins had anything to do with the US Government. The regular series of which the found coin is part were privately made in England and shipped to the US. They circulated along side the state coppers and counterfeit halfpence. While the minter in England obviously based his coins on the US patterns there was no official connection.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually only the pattern coins had anything to do with the US Government. The regular series of which the found coin is part were privately made in England and shipped to the US. They circulated along side the state coppers and counterfeit halfpence. While the minter in England obviously based his coins on the US patterns there was no official connection.

I'm still learning about this coin, thank you for the correction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread