A hammered penny --- literally....

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
I went out back of my place after a little rain and detected this a few inches down. After a bath of lemon juice and vinegar to remove black grime it came out looking as pictured, but it was slightly bent. It's so thin that I was able to bend it back with not much effort. At first I thought it was just a scrap piece of copper. Then I realized that for whatever reason someone had taken a hammer to a penny. Like all of you I've found tons of pennies, but this one takes the cake for uniqueness.... I don't think Coinstar will pass this one.
HH
-spyguy

Attachments

• Hammered Penny.JPG
    Hammered Penny.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 8

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with Erving. We did that as kids on the rails coming from the local coal mine.

OP
OP
S

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
Although there are no train tracks near where I found this I can buy into the above scenario. Maybe this is a form of entertainment for hobos after the rotgut runs dry...? Anyway, I'm hoping my next find will not only be exceedingly rare like this one, but also extremely valuable. Like, say a Brasher Doubloon....
HH
-spyguy

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of sick , sadistic , disgusting mind would do this ? :laughing7:

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This morning I went detecting at a local park which happened to be next to a railroad track. After a couple of trains had gone by, this thread popped into my head. I took two of the pennies I had found and put them on the tracks.

While I anxiously waited for the next train I realized that I had a big smile on my face, as this brought me back to my childhood days of playing around the tracks, dodging trains and putting things on the tracks. It definitely was a different time back then.

After the next train passed, I searched around in the rocks for my coins and was eventually able to found them. This sure brought back memories!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511633692.847287.jpg

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We use to lay them on the train tracks. Then we would put them in our pockets,and take them home with us. The tracks ran right in front of my grandparents house.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread