KG II in Kentucky

bluegrass digger

Feb 18, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent some time today detecting at a spot that I'd visited a few times before. The only remains of the old housesite are old bricks scattered about near a spring. I found a cut Spanish coin the last time I went. Few good targets remain at the site that has been detected by others before me. At the end of the hunt, I had a faint sound that proved to be much better after I removed the plug. Upper 70's on the AT Pro. After wiping the dirt off I could make out a left facing bust. It also seemed to have a II similar to a KG II. The other side is smooth without detail. Others more knowledgeable of British coppers please give your opinion. I don't hear of many British coppers found in central Kentucky! Thanks. IMG_1346.JPG IMG_1347.JPG

Upvote 30

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find ! :occasion14:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a colonial coin expert but it looks like a big old copper! I hope you can get a definite ID on the sweet old coin. Gives us "western" US folks some hopes of notching one of these off our Bucket Lists. Congrats!:headbang:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
A copper that old in Central Kentucky is some great stuff man. We may find KG2’s regularly in the NorthEast, but over by you, that’s a stellar find! Perhaps it made its way East from the Mississippi from fur trade. Either way, it’s a legit George ii. Congrats!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Oldie!
Congratulations
0F8F01D5-62C3-44BA-BEA1-2B6E89F857B3.jpeg

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the old copper. That is a great find for the Kentucky area, and that's what makes this hobby great. People carried coins and other items to all areas of the country and then lost them, for us to find.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gives me hope!!!!! CONGRATZ.....

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I have stumbled across many passages while researching Kentucky history that the earliest schools accepted schillings and farthings for tuition. I have found one myself, ironically in Central Kentucky. Kentucky was considered the crossroads of early America. In today's life, Central Kentucky (Lexington) is 6 hours or less North, East, South and West of some of the biggest cities in the US. The rivers Ohio, Kentucky, Red and Licking being major travel routes back in the day, Kentucky should give up her fair share of Coppers but they are very elusive to say the least. Great find!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome find merry christmas

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the nice finds! :occasion14:

OP
OP
B

bluegrass digger

Feb 18, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all that took time to view, like, and comment on my post! Scrappy thank you for confirming the identification! 1320 and sawmill man, it is great making the connections. I love to hear of the great finds in Kentucky. Thanks again and I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year of great finds!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Thanks to all that took time to view, like, and comment on my post! Scrappy thank you for confirming the identification! 1320 and sawmill man, it is great making the connections. I love to hear of the great finds in Kentucky. Thanks again and I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year of great finds!

Care if I share this in the Kentucky forum? It's all but dead..lol

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Central Kentucky was settled a little later than the most eastern part of the state, which is why you'll find more older coins the further east you go.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, by the way! I wish I lived back there, sometimes. You guys find the best stuff!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread