I found an 18th century gold ring today!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still cleaning up the finds. Was with another T-Net member at a 17th century site in Maryland. There used to be a lot of old buildings on the property, dating from the 17th to 19th century and two remain. We went round and round and round the farm, and in the river, did some mudlarking (and mud slipping), and through the marsh, and up the hill....and the ol' cat here can hardly walk now. As we were leaving the marshy area, there was this lone pine tree on a tiny hill (or hummock), just barely 3 feet or so above sea level. We started detecting around the higher area, figuring we would head into the corn field which has a much higher elevation and a more likely spot for a house. Halfway through the raised area of land I got about an 83 on the Deus. It was a solid, repeatable signal. I was using the Deus Fast mode, tracking balancing and 28Khz. Gotta love that high frequency coil. I already have three rings in the bag for 2018. I just kind of shook my head as ring #4 comes out of the ground. It was broken. Oh, well. But I can tell it's definitely made of gold, looks to be 14k. There was a stone in it, but the stone is long gone. Well, after another few hours of digging (see the other thread, please), I got it home and started to examine it carefully. The thing is karat gold. It is 100% handmade. The farm there was established in the 1600's and due to the type of workmanship on this ring and style I believe it to be an 18th century man's ring. It probably would not have had a diamond in it. The photos I hope show some of the original workmanship. This is the first piece of 18th century gold I have ever found. I are pleased. Use the zoom feature to see the handiwork on the piece! View attachment IMG_0670.JPG View attachment IMG_0671.JPG

Upvote 54

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, the cat that never stops playing in the dirt broke out the brand new acid test kit and went for it! The ring is absolutely 22 karat! Surprise! Happy Dance! Never found 22 karat anything before. I keep on finding "firsts".

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi smoking , As you say gold is gold but all the same unless you found a gold nugget like The Welcome Stranger i would not be calling yourself a gold magnet. Some of the rarest gold coins evermade came from the 19h century. Old doesn,t mean anything.Be more openminded in all windows of history and the rewards are greater Good luck tinpan

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My gold test kit just came in today. Next project, test the thing. (There were no instructions in the kit.) I also agree not 18th century. The place where any hallmarks would have been is gone. Hey, would you get it restored?

IF ITS SOMETHING YOU COULD WEAR - I WOULD GET IT RESTORED - I MAY EVEN HAVE A STONE FOR YOU
WILL CHECK MY STASH

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
always hard to tell by pics - can you guess about what size stone you believe it may have had - 1/4 - 1/2 - 1 carat

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper-2 probably 5.5mm. I will measure it. I have a few garnets loose that size that would fit. I used to collect rocks also. I tried having another ring repaired last year and the jeweler made 3 pieces out of it. So I'm a little cautious at this time.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
if you can't find a jeweler good enough to do the job in restoring it as a ring, maybe into a piece for a necklace while retaining the original look.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
garnet would be nice - many think the stone in ring I showed is a garnet - actually a Burmese ruby
I have an orange citrine that might be nice in it that setting - came out of a custom piece of jewelry
willing to give it to you = I removed it from pendant - will try and get new pic - that was a good day water hunting
day 1 gold.jpg

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the way to work I dropped it off at the jewelry store to restore it. They are very good and have been in business a long time.
Need prayer they don't bust it. They said it was 100-125 years old, still the oldest ring I have ever found.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is sweet hand made wowza way to smoke out the gold Thanks for sharing it with us
!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I found that I would haul the dirt in and around the hole home and sift for the stone what ever it may be lol

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been at the jeweler for several days now, I expect it done next week, or a call this week letting me know it fell apart upon soldering. In the MEANTIME, I got another much newer little ring this Saturday. Here she is. This one is marked 14k and those are probably sapphires. Still has a little dirt on it. View attachment IMG_0687.jpg

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I'm getting addicted to finding gold in the ground and in the sand. Two gold rings, but 1 broken and 2 silver rings all from the dirt in the last 4 weeks. A record for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread