I found an 18th century gold ring today!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still cleaning up the finds. Was with another T-Net member at a 17th century site in Maryland. There used to be a lot of old buildings on the property, dating from the 17th to 19th century and two remain. We went round and round and round the farm, and in the river, did some mudlarking (and mud slipping), and through the marsh, and up the hill....and the ol' cat here can hardly walk now. As we were leaving the marshy area, there was this lone pine tree on a tiny hill (or hummock), just barely 3 feet or so above sea level. We started detecting around the higher area, figuring we would head into the corn field which has a much higher elevation and a more likely spot for a house. Halfway through the raised area of land I got about an 83 on the Deus. It was a solid, repeatable signal. I was using the Deus Fast mode, tracking balancing and 28Khz. Gotta love that high frequency coil. I already have three rings in the bag for 2018. I just kind of shook my head as ring #4 comes out of the ground. It was broken. Oh, well. But I can tell it's definitely made of gold, looks to be 14k. There was a stone in it, but the stone is long gone. Well, after another few hours of digging (see the other thread, please), I got it home and started to examine it carefully. The thing is karat gold. It is 100% handmade. The farm there was established in the 1600's and due to the type of workmanship on this ring and style I believe it to be an 18th century man's ring. It probably would not have had a diamond in it. The photos I hope show some of the original workmanship. This is the first piece of 18th century gold I have ever found. I are pleased. Use the zoom feature to see the handiwork on the piece! View attachment IMG_0670.JPG View attachment IMG_0671.JPG

Upvote 54
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice Gold! :occasion14:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations smoky you are truly THE MAN. IMG_2151.JPG

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I doubt that ring is 18th century. Doesnt look high karat or of the right style but Im willing to be educated

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I think youโ€™re being very generous calling that an 18th century ring. Do you have any examples supporting your claim because I cannot find anything close in several of my references. It strikes me as late 19th century in design. Handmade does not necessarily make it old.

Still, gold is always nice. Congrats

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course I cannot be sure of the date, it is quite old and it's context was 17th and 18th century artifacts. We didn't find anything recognizable from the 19th century, except my buddy found two nice coins about 100 yards away near a building, and everything else we found was modern. I was thinking of getting it repaired at a jeweler, but it's too far gone. The prongs are all worn off too badly to hold a stone anymore.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey, glad to see you are feeling good enough to find GOLD...LAUGHING out loud!

Very happy your outing was fruitful and you got rewarded with something so nice especially after you were in such pain earlier.

5BDA53E8-6BF8-402B-99E5-0611E74995B1.gif

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waterscoop, I feel like, uh, quick think of something not nasty..uh..something on the bottom of my shoe... but this ring and the 17th century complete buckle (see other thread) made my day. I consider the buckle better than the ring. Two of the throw outs was a toy dump truck, one genuine pulltab, and the handle, or what's left of it of a toy cap pistol, and a brass kinda tag to something purchased from Saks Fifth Avenue which was definitely not 17th century! I have a musket ball, a buck and ball load, several odd things, a big lead thing, another thing, a brass tack to an 18th century chest. Stuff. Tomorrow is new day to clean this mess up.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry you are feeling like poo Smokey. At least you pulled some nice goodies out today.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks coilygirl, had a 3 day headache which finally broke yesterday pm. Today, it's just a case of driving 115 miles digging 5 hours, then driving the 115 miles back home.

RudyT

Nov 23, 2017
LaPorte, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your ring!! Iโ€™d be happy to find one no matter what century!! Glad youโ€™re feeling better.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smokey you are killing it!! :notworthy:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blk Hole, secret is I go out and a lot and do not hit areas dating after 1900, except for the occasional lark at the beach for the bling.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no doubt about it.....YOUR a gold magnet...

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the Cat just keeps right on ticking.
We're going to have to change your name to "EverReady"
Congrats on the Gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread