Completely Unsearched Site! LCs, FE Cent, Relics...

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sites like these are precisely why I spend so much time wandering the woods and pouring over old maps. There was a blip on one of the Beers maps, but there were no roads leading to it and no distinct natural features to orient to. I had good luck at my old sites this past weekend and I debated spending more time gridding them, but I've been meaning the find this site for awhile now and the weather simply couldn't be beat, so I elected to do some hiking.

It's a large section of woods, and after following some streams I hiked up a steep slope to find a series of rock walls. I followed the strongest wall over the crest of the hill and just down the other side was the cellar hole; perched on the edge of the hill! I fired up the detector and immediately started getting hit after hit, some only an inch underground. This site had never been detected before!

I spend three hours there and I know I barely scratched the surface, but it's a long hike back so I packed up and headed out of the woods with the promise to return. Here's just the first round of iron that I hiked out:

DSC04118.JPG

There are quite a few more large pieces that I'll hike out bit by bit ( a 2 foot scythe and a large iron stove grate for instance) but these are a good start. There's also my favorite iron find:

DSC04119.JPG

I finally dug a shingling hatchet! I've seen these posted from time to time and I love the shape, plus it's a new style for the axe head collection!

There were also a good number of different oil lamp assemblies.

DSC04123.JPG DSC04122.JPG

The first piece is pewter and looks like an oil reservoir to a lamp, but I'm curious if someone here knows differently. Oddly this piece was right on the surface under the leaf litter and looks like it was sawed off a larger piece many years back.

DSC04120.JPG DSC04121.JPG

I was so excited to find this; I can't believe they lost an entire candlestick holder! The stem and base are a little loose, but has a beautiful green patina and these don't seem to turn up often at homesites.

There were quite a few coins scattered around and many were just under the surface.

DSC04124.JPG

The 1844 large cent was in the best condition; but there was also a draped bust large cent.

DSC04125.JPG DSC04126.JPG DSC04127.JPG

No date, but interestingly the DBLC has a counter-stamp: "TD" I know there are tons of different counter-stamps out there, but does anyone know about this particular one?

There was one other large copper, but it has almost no features left besides the faint outline of a right-facing bust. What's intriguing is that the edge is reeded:

DSC04128.JPG DSC04129.JPG DSC04130.JPG

I didn't know of any large coppers with reeded edges before now, so I'm definitely lost on this one.

There were three small coppers as well:

DSC04136.JPG DSC04138.JPG

An 1864 bronze IHP, an 1860 or 1864 cupro-nickel IHP, and an 1858 Flying Eagle cent!

The last isn't a coin, but a commemorative medal and my favorite find of the hunt:

DSC04133.JPG DSC04135.JPG

It's a Queen Victoria Coronation medal. The ground was fairly rough on it, but the front has "Born May 24, 1819" and the reverse has "Crowned June 28, 1838" and "Ascended the British Throne June 20, 1837" around the rim. I didn't even know these existed, much less expected to dig one, but it's a fascinating piece of history. I imagine it made it's way down from Canada and I can only guess as to why it ended up at this particular site.

There were quite a few of the other usual homesite relics:

DSC04144.JPG DSC04145.JPG DSC04147.JPG DSC04148.JPG

The miniature padlock was a surprise and a good reason to dig scratchy iron/non-ferrous signals. The zinc piece with holes appears to be a musical reed of some sort, but this is a new style to me. The salt-shaker top is pewter, and of course the ubiquitous parasol slide which was actually the first relic I dug! There were a number of pewter spoon fragments including one with a maker's mark: "C. Parker & Co." which is common for this area and date from 1840 to 1880. I also managed to save a very dainty brass rim to a daguerreotype picture box.

I also managed a very nice crotal bell:

DSC04140.JPG DSC04143.JPG

It came out of the ground just as shiny as you see it, and is in fantastic condition. Oddly it has a very faint "3" "2" and a "1" hand-engraved into the top near the stem. It doesn't look as neat as the usual identifying marks on these bells, so maybe leftover casting marks that they meant to remove.

There was also this brass wheel that looks like a broken pulley wheel.

DSC04149.JPG DSC04150.JPG

This was just the first-pass of the site mostly focusing on the areas directly adjacent to the cellar hole. I did find the trash pit and that alone will be tons to dig out, but I can't even imagine what else is still in the ground. No silver in this round, but with so many coins I'm certain that I'll find a few pieces hiding under the large signals and there are miles of fields (now forest) that I can hunt as well. This will be a fantastic series of hunts so stay tuned!

Last edited:
Upvote 51

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
nice finds i have one of those types of hatchet

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
does that large cent also have TD on it

RudyT

Nov 23, 2017
LaPorte, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some amazing finds!! Please keep us posted on your future finds!! Great job!!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does that large cent also have TD on it?

No, just the draped bust large cent and only on the one side. The other side is almost slick with just a little bit of the wreath left. The braided hair large cent is unmarked.

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man those are some great finds. Sites like that are getting harder and harder to find... GOOD LUCK

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man those are some great finds. Sites like that are getting harder and harder to find... GOOD LUCK

Thank you! They definitely are getting harder to find, but somehow that makes it all the better when you do stumble upon one!

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is so much to love and comment on with this post! You found an incredible site congratulations!!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bust on your other copper reminds me a lot of the one on this page: British Coin Gallery - George III (scroll down to the 1806 one)

Could be a bank token of some kind too, like this one: https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/anc...7/Default.aspx

I've found a lot of Canadian bank tokens in our area so it could make sense.

I thought the type III halfpenny too, but the edges on those are plain. The bank token is a very good though and it appears the edge was reeded on some of those. Thank you for the info!

It's worn so smooth that it must have been in circulation for quite some time before being lost; hopefully I can find one there with a bit more detail.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super Cool finds already.
That site should keep you busy for a good while.
Thanks for posting.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I've only found one site like that...I miss it soooo much... Keep us posted!!!!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Insane hunt! You must have been super excited to see the cellar hole then all the shallow targets. Great finds. Huge congrats!!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dream site.

Congratulations on a very nice location and great recoveries.

Cheers

06A12460-D529-4717-A2EC-694A48D0EBD7.jpeg

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some amazing finds. I especially like the candlestick holder and crotal bell. Kudos to you on your research and hopefully there are more great relics to be found at this spot. Thanks for sharing.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the site, a really great mix of finds for sure. Liking the coppers and the counter strike one. That's a very cool Vickie one I haven't seen before, nice keeper.

glenn37216

Apr 8, 2012
Hendersonville , TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, FISHER F75 Limited Edition, Teknetics EuroTek Pro, Garrett Ace150, 250,400i, Minelabs E-trac, Minelabs Equinox 600, Whites 6000D, DFX Pro,Bounty Hunter All -out of text space.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...wow what a great place to hunt ! keep us posted on when you plan on going back there...I'd love to see a live stream of the hunt if possible... share some of that digging excitement .:hello2:

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! Gotta love those untouched sites Paleo! I've only found 2 in all of my years detecting and some of my best relics and colonial coins came from them. Your relics including the small crotal and the candlestick are great. Never found a whole candlestick before, that's fantastic. I've got your copper ID'd for ya...a Canada Marquis Wellington Halfpeny Token from 1813, and yup, it has a reeded edge. Do a Google search with those terms and you can view the ebay example etc. Best of luck on returning to that site. There's much more lurking I'm sure!

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions