Down the rabbit hole! (part 2)

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, the rabbit hole morphed into a fox hole after about another hour and a half of digging this morning. It's the weirdest thing I've ever encountered. There are literally layers and layers of broken glass amongst very large rocks. The ground itself is very loose. And there is just an ton of rusted jar tops, foil, and broken glass. I did find an old rusted nail and a buckle amongst the glass. I'll clean up the buckle as see what that might be age wise.

Now here's where it got interesting...about 18-20" down I hit something solid and metallic. I moved away as much soil under and above it as I could. It is covered in broken glass shards. I then saw a thin flat piece of metal. But it wouldn't budge. I dug some more and it still wouldn't budge. It's huge. I have no idea if it covering something, or is a big piece of scrap.

So my dilemma at that point was three fold. Running out of time, rain is in the forecast, and more than anything, I have created a huge hole on my favorite permission that I would never leave open. So I tried to contact the farmer, but no luck. I really want him to give the ok to open up a much larger hole that is needed to see what this thing is.

So I carefully picked up all of the broken glass and other junk, bagged it, and placed rocks strategically around the metal, and then filled the hole and marked it with an X.

We're expecting rain for the next 3 days, and who knows what mother nature has in store for the rest of the winter. Fingers crossed. More in a bit... IMG_2289.JPG IMG_2291.JPG IMG_2292.JPG IMG_2293.JPG IMG_2295.JPG

Upvote 9

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, afterall, it is the quest not the find......right? ;)

Keep the faith. :)

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You tell a great story. We'll be waiting for part 3. Hopefully the weather will hold.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has to be my 1960 VW Beetle...Dibs!

Can't wait to hear what you found.

OP
OP
Phishfindr

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tn_digging.gif
Get your butt back - how dare you leave all of us hanging! :laughing7:

Too funny. Believe me, as soon as this 4 day rain spell ends, I'm back in the hole! Looks like Monday at the earliest...:BangHead:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story...thank you for sharing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions