How do you share the finds of a fire pit.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Put all of the finds on the table, flip a coin to see how goes first, winner takes one find, then the other person takes one find... repeat until all finds are taken.

I've seen it done this way when multiple people are working on a sifter. Good luck to you!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same as Carolina Tom suggests, except instead of flipping a coin, the person that found the pit gets first pick.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an extensive pre-civil war fire pit. Its going to take a lot of digging.I am going to ask a friend to help. Whats the protocol on sharing the finds from the pit? Each keeps what he finds? That sounds a little chaotic. Alternate choosing at the end of the day?
Yeap, lay them all out, you pick he picks, you pick etc...

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just give them to me so there are no hard feelings between you and your friend.
Seriously though I think Tom and Steve are dead on.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with what everyone else has already suggested.
Pit finder gets 1st pick, and then alternate picks back and forth, unless for example the non pit finder secured the permission, or did most of the work, or drove you two hours to the site, or some other reason that you might want to give them a crack at first pick, by flipping a coin or some other way of determining who picks first.
If your intent is to try to get the finds divided as evenly as possible, I would also suggest that you alternate who gets 1st pick each "picking round" so to speak. It goes without saying that the lower the number the pick, the better it is (eg. 1st pick is lower and better than 2nd pick). For example, in a scenario where you find 10 pickable items, if you were to take 1st pick and then alternate back and forth with one other person, you would be getting picks number 1,3,5,7,9, and your buddy would be getting 2,4,6,8,10. Your picks add up together to a total of 25, and your buddies to 30. If you were to alternate the 1st pick each picking round you would get picks 1,4,5,8,9 and your buddy would get 2,3,6,7,10 this way your total is 27 and your buddies 28. This really comes into play when you have more than two people involved in a dig and split. I have been on a few digs where we had to split everything 6 ways, and I can tell you that when the first person in a six way split gets picks number 1, 7, 13, 19 etc. and the sixth person gets picks 6, 12, 18, 24 etc. the disparity is obvious, and alternating who picks first each round helps even things out.
Good luck in the fire pit!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread