It took 20 years, but I finally found a gold coin. Well, 4 gold coins. All French!

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello THers!

I have been wanting to share this find now for a couple weeks, but was waiting for my friend to edit and drop the video first.

This coin was found at low tide on a rocky river edge. I was using a Garrett AT Max with the wrong coil considering the conditions, but it was too late in the day to change it. (NEL Thunder coil) I literally hit this coin with my predator hand digger at about 5 or 6". I'm still sick about it, but like the flowing hair half dime incident, at least I found it... I'm probably about as messed up about finding it as the person was who lost it 250+ years ago! I don't know exactly how it managed to separate into 4 pieces of pie in just one strike, but it did. I could probably whack a coin 100 times before it broke the way this one did. It's just crazy to me... I managed a few other very nice finds that day, as did my mates, but I will have to come back and edit this thread once the whole video drops. It was a disgusting and incredible day that I am truly humbled to have been a part of...

I know many of you don't like video shares on this forum, so I have attached some close-up pictures. If you're brave enough to watch the video, grab a box of tissues.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• GoldCoin1.png
    GoldCoin1.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 393
  • GoldCoin2.png
    GoldCoin2.png
    229.1 KB · Views: 339
  • GoldCoin3.png
    GoldCoin3.png
    262.6 KB · Views: 342
  • GoldCoin4.png
    GoldCoin4.png
    255.1 KB · Views: 306
Upvote 77
OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for sharing b. I’ve “kissed “ a few as well. It happens. The vid was fun to watch. Don’t let em pic on ya too much [emoji12]. Been wondering if u boys want to come to the My little island to hunt pm me if there is any interest. Keep ur head down [emoji116]

We just came through MA and RI last weekend! D'oh! Thank you!!

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Broken or not its a truly amazing find Brad. I hope Kurt, Bob, Bill and Leo paid up on the gold coin bet :thumbsup:
Keep up the good work boys. You all are an inspiration and a highlight on my wednesdays.

Kurt and I will always have a standing bet. Oh yeah, he made good. :D

YBnormal

Oct 21, 2017
Albany Ga.
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Troy Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, CONGRATS, I would kill for a find like that, or even an invite to a hunt like that.

Read this article, It may shed some light on why it broke, https://coinweek.com/counterfeits/t...feit-coins-from-the-reign-of-queen-isabel-ii/

Have a jeweler test it, they can perform a non destructive test on a rub stone to determine gold content.

And finally, here is a link to a "slice and dice Safe" digging tool. https://www.schoolspecialty.com/fis...MI3ePou8Hp2gIVUz2BCh1SaQzGEAQYAyABEgJHQvD_BwE

I actually have this Trowel, and find it very handy when coin hunting.

Happy Hunting

8Reales

Bronze Member
Dec 16, 2015
Baltimore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, think about it this way u have a gold coin and are up $50 and have a shot at find of
the year at MFSTC.

Willieg

Nov 16, 2017
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done brad!!! Love watching you guy's. I'm still in search for my first silver could only imagine a gold coin. My hat is off for you brother.

YBnormal

Oct 21, 2017
Albany Ga.
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Troy Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know man, I really don't think that you broke that coin. It would have some obvious signs of distress if it was hit hard enough to break into 4 pieces like that. I don't see how that could happen without it bending at least a little somewhere. It is gold afterall. I would look at the edges closely but I really don't think you broke it. Oh, and banner by the way! Epic!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Congratulations on an amazing find! I don't think I've ever seen one of those posted on here. Sorry about the condition but still, better to have than not!!

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold coin is absolutely gorgeous! I was asked Kurt a long time ago if one of the boys had found a gold coin in their metal detecting careers, and now it looks like one of you've have! It's just so sad to see it broken, but anyone could've made a mistake like that so don't feel so bad about it :)

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find and save - even with the damage. Congratulations!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Love hunting the water! Great save, she is gold and where there one, there is more. Tide movement sure can push things around so I would be all over that place..Good Luck!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN is absolutely correct. There may be more there. I still don't think you broke it. Use a digital microscope to look at the edges. And I can't see an impact point. Of course you can do like I do on some sites and use a full size shovel! I have a couple places I actually do that.

I don't think it's counterfeit, that was an excellent article. I have found a lot of counterfeit British coppers in the past, you can usually tell them from the real ones.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find, sorry about your mishap.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, though bittersweet it is. I can relate. My last two Massachusetts Silver coins, a shilling and a two-pence - one was a cut piece, and the other was holed.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN is absolutely correct. There may be more there. I still don't think you broke it. Use a digital microscope to look at the edges. And I can't see an impact point. Of course you can do like I do on some sites and use a full size shovel! I have a couple places I actually do that.

I don't think it's counterfeit, that was an excellent article. I have found a lot of counterfeit British coppers in the past, you can usually tell them from the real ones.

I can see fresh marks.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'was' kind of is, a very nice looking coin. I would be sick for years. I've seen gold crack like that because if shared a broken one with a mate who found the other half 5 years later. (I brought it off him to keep them together) I think you got very unlucky & struck it just right between stones etc..
Well at least you can look forward to your 2nd knowing it can't get much worse....
Keep at it...

Last edited:

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This thing should be an easy banner no matter broken or not. A part from being a gold coin it's a crazy rare find in North America.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread