It took 20 years, but I finally found a gold coin. Well, 4 gold coins. All French!

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello THers!

I have been wanting to share this find now for a couple weeks, but was waiting for my friend to edit and drop the video first.

This coin was found at low tide on a rocky river edge. I was using a Garrett AT Max with the wrong coil considering the conditions, but it was too late in the day to change it. (NEL Thunder coil) I literally hit this coin with my predator hand digger at about 5 or 6". I'm still sick about it, but like the flowing hair half dime incident, at least I found it... I'm probably about as messed up about finding it as the person was who lost it 250+ years ago! I don't know exactly how it managed to separate into 4 pieces of pie in just one strike, but it did. I could probably whack a coin 100 times before it broke the way this one did. It's just crazy to me... I managed a few other very nice finds that day, as did my mates, but I will have to come back and edit this thread once the whole video drops. It was a disgusting and incredible day that I am truly humbled to have been a part of...

I know many of you don't like video shares on this forum, so I have attached some close-up pictures. If you're brave enough to watch the video, grab a box of tissues.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• GoldCoin1.png
    GoldCoin1.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 393
  • GoldCoin2.png
    GoldCoin2.png
    229.1 KB · Views: 339
  • GoldCoin3.png
    GoldCoin3.png
    262.6 KB · Views: 342
  • GoldCoin4.png
    GoldCoin4.png
    255.1 KB · Views: 306
Upvote 77
OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
'was' kind of is, a very nice looking coin. I would be sick for years. Well at least you can look forward to your 2nd knowing it can't get much worse....

Drier than dry, as always Cru, but thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. :laughing9:

Yes, it has surely been more of a burden than cause for celebration. I simply respect the find, and try not to dwell on the circumstances. 'Sick for years' is very well said. It's still an open wound. I envision a damaged target in every darn hole I dig.

Odd--with the flowing hair coin incident, I could apply the "well, at least I found it mentality" and move on, you know, be happy about it... This recovery doesn't bring me joy, but it's a story that has to be shared. The end.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drier than dry, as always Cru, but thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. :laughing9:

Yes, it has surely been more of a burden than cause for celebration. I simply respect the find, and try not to dwell on the circumstances. 'Sick for years' is very well said. It's still an open wound. I envision a damaged target in every darn hole I dig.

Odd--with the flowing hair coin incident, I could apply the "well, at least I found it mentality" and move on, you know, be happy about it... This recovery doesn't bring me joy, but it's a story that has to be shared. The end.
Yes you know me, not a word mincer or someone who just says 'nice finds'! I still hit the odd thing myself, even after thinking "I must always dig back from where I think it is!" Mainly because you know its bound to be your best find you do it to. Thankfully all my 'hits' are forgettable.(other than one nice 18th C calendar coin many years ago)
I think you have the right attitude & you will be rewarded again.:thumbsup:

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, AT Gold, AT Pro, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations Brad. This coin Represents why we all do this. To find actual treasure. BANNER? It's above the "Banner" system. I nominated it anyway.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got an AT Pro with the NEL Thunder Coil. It's a great coil, but it makes pinpointing tough.

Dude, I watched this emotional roller-coaster of a video when it first came out. PLEASE don't sweat the broken coin! The whole thing was made even more awesome as the bunch of you knelt around that hole, digging and pinpointing, excitedly discovering each individual chunk of that amazing piece of history.

To me, the memories of doing that are actually more valuable than recovering the coin whole. And hey, you got all four pieces! You can mount them together - they'll gleam just as nicely - but now the coin has a STORY to it. The whole discovery is now an amazing story that you and the rest of your friends can always tell, for the rest of your lives; the time you Slice N' Diced this thing into quarters and then dug each piece out of the sand.

You'll find other gold coins, but you'll never do something like this again. This video is a lot more enjoyable than you just finding the coin and showing it off to the rest of the HB. It's almost like you found this coin together.

GREAT find, and congrats on your first! You'll feel 10x better about the breakage when you've got your next gold coin find squeezed tightly in the palm of your hand.

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GREAT find, and congrats on your first! You'll feel 10x better about the breakage when you've got your next gold coin find squeezed tightly in the palm of your hand.

Thank you so much!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic Gold coin find, congratulations! :occasion14:

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This thing really should be on the top. Broken or not it's a once in the lifetime find.

Royn2751

Jan 14, 2017
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrific find, 30+ years at the jewelers bench I've seen many gold items work hardened into a brittle state. I've observed the gold almost crystallizing. This seems to be evident in the photos. The gold planchett probably wasn't annealed properly before striking, rendering it brittle.
You hit the good and bad luck simultaneously. Still a unbelievable find.

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terrific find, 30+ years at the jewelers bench I've seen many gold items work hardened into a brittle state. I've observed the gold almost crystallizing. This seems to be evident in the photos. The gold planchett probably wasn't annealed properly before striking, rendering it brittle.
You hit the good and bad luck simultaneously. Still a unbelievable find.

Crystallizing is a good way to put it. The break lines almost look granular. Thanks for the nice note, means a lot. I've had many people stare me in the face and say "gold doesn't break--ever".. Well I'm here to tell you, it does. :(

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm still waiting for that exceptional find to get a banner. I really don't understand why it doesn't. Even a cut piece of a French gold coin should get there, way easier than an American gold dollar.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watched THB video this afternoon. That was a great trip for everyone overall. And heck of a find for you. I realized I never nominated your first post for banner, I hope I help nudge it a little closer. Its a no brainer banner find. Congratulations.

PS It was awesome meeting you guys at the end of April!

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is treasure, mate, beautiful to the eyes and desirable to the mind, and we're all a bit envious of your good fortune. Congrats to you, and may we all get our share of such good fortune!
:occasion14:

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't feel too bad. Any old cop will attest to a strike just behind the ear will surely mess up ones day.
Stuff happens.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find,no matter the origin or condition. A Holy Grail type coin for sure for most hunters....enjoy it as the rest of us would!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions