Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some time ago I waxed way too long about looking for a stuffed animal that my cousin and I buried in an Army ammo box a half decade ago. I was in the area today and decided to take another shot at finding Zippy, the monkey. I took my Equinox-600 to the site and started snooping around. I got a good iron signal showing the target as deep (all triangles lit up).

Started digging ... and digging ... and digging. I thought I was on the right track and kept sweeping the target area. At about 15" deep, I finally got a hit on my pin pointer. AFter taking out a few fistfuls of dirt, I came up with a rusty finishing nail about 1.5" long. Nothing else in the hole.

No Zippy but a good lesson showing that my new machine can detect little stuff deep.

The mission continues.

Upvote 9

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Half a decade or half a century?
I would think a ammo box buried only five years ago would easily be found.
Good luck.

OP
OP
S

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Half a decade or half a century?
I would think a ammo box buried only five years ago would easily be found.
Good luck.

Quite right ... half century. It sounds like a long time when you say it that way. Seems just yesterday that I was 13 years old but, alas, a half century plus 3 has passed since then.

Still, I'll keep looking till I find the monkey.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it’s still there the equinox should find it. Good luck.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have Backhoe...Will Travel. 😀

OP
OP
S

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update on the Zippy search ...

I was in my home town for a meeting and found myself with some time on my hands. I decided to get back to my cousin's house and look for the ammo can with Zippy the monkey in it. One comment above asked if I meant a half century when I said a half decade; the correct response was "half century".

Using my EQ-600 in Field 1, noise cancelled, ground balanced, "all metal mode", I started sweeping an area that I thought had a good probability for finding the target. I got a solid ferrous signal (-2,-3) showing very deep. I dug. And dug. Kept getting a signal that seemed to be about the right size for the ammo box. About 16" down, I got to some rusty dirt and found a 3" common nail ... very rusted.

Alas, no Zippy. The search continues.

This story is not so much about finding the monkey as it is a testament to the EQ-600's ability to find things buried deep.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Zippy may have been moved.....
boabeng-fiema-ghana-picture-479.jpg

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Zippy the monkey must have dug his way out, cause I had him as a wee little kid in the 70's. Big floppy ears, red coveralls and a yellow shirt that has his name on it. I think I remember photos of me somewhere about two or three at the time chewing on his ear.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That large metal box should "hit like a truck"...Good Luck on your search! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions