Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still in shock after tonights hunt. I knew this was a great spot but a little .5 gram piece of tree coin with the tree and the date and what I believe to be Louis XIV 4 sols from the 1670s Lyon mint. Any help appreciated with more information on either coin. I will try and clean up the 4 sols better but it is very brittle and thin at .9 grams. Two 17th century silvers in one night and neither are Spanish. A day I wont soon forget

Attachments

• 9B0CD220-833B-4742-9B60-0C3BC9DD675D.jpeg
    9B0CD220-833B-4742-9B60-0C3BC9DD675D.jpeg
    691.3 KB · Views: 272
  • D12180B7-C985-44BB-BCD7-6F0D6B4B3B06.jpeg
    D12180B7-C985-44BB-BCD7-6F0D6B4B3B06.jpeg
    657.3 KB · Views: 162
  • B62F9CE1-1BF0-4DF8-96DC-7218AD9B6B96.jpeg
    B62F9CE1-1BF0-4DF8-96DC-7218AD9B6B96.jpeg
    774.3 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 56

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Toasted you are rockin' it with finds lately. That cut pine tree is beyond awesome. If that's not Banner worthy, then I don't know what is. Oh yeah....let's not completely ignore the 4 sols. Great find there too. You are into to some of the earliest colonial stuff that can be found.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be over the moon with those silvers, and I’m sure you must be! Congrats man that’s a double whammy of a spectacular day.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely a fantastic hunt! :notworthy: :notworthy:

I am voting Banner for the two incredible coins! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the comments everyone. I am beyond ecstatic over these finds. So much so that I found a Barber on another beach today and it felt like finding clad lol. Thanks for the banner votes too though not sure how thats going to work with two threads on the find. I was just so excited when I first found it that I had to post it right away. Found the 4 sols immediately afterward

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was with my brother in law when he dug a beautiful holed 4 sols from 1675. I've never found one personally. Only French silver I have is a cut silver 6 or 12 sols from the Windward Islands. You have a really incredible site on your hands. I might have 3 or 4 sites like that in total. And thats over 28 years of detecting. They dont come around often.

Ditto on the difficulty of finding those 17th century sites - even if you've been searching for many years. I only have several such sites that produced multiple finds.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Tapatalk for Tnet and cannot vote BANNER but I would definitely vote BANNER on something like this. A cut pine has to be more rare then a whole. Has Tnet ever seen a cut pine?

Figured it out!! I voted BANNER.

Here's a cut Oak Tree shilling I posted on TNet back in 2013 or so.

CUT OAK TREE SHILLING - NOE 1 - REVERSE.JPG

There's been a few cut Mass Silver coins posted on TNet that I recall. By the way, this cut Oak Tree is a Noe-1. The first of 14 varieties. That's very close in the series (one away) from the Willow Tree series - that's what you want to find - Willow Tree or New England variety - Ultra Rare! :notworthy:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a cut Oak Tree shilling I posted on TNet back in 2013 or so.

View attachment 1619546

There's been a few cut Mass Silver coins posted on TNet that I recall. By the way, this cut Oak Tree is a Noe-1. The first of 14 varieties. That's very close in the series (one away) from the Willow Tree series - that's what you want to find - Willow Tree or New England variety - Ultra Rare! :notworthy:

Thanks for the education STC. So is it more common to find any tree coin while or cut. Although very rare to find any tree coin period I was assuming more whole coins are found than cut due to size?

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the education STC. So is it more common to find any tree coin while or cut. Although very rare to find any tree coin period I was assuming more whole coins are found than cut due to size?

Thankfully, it's more common to find whole coins at least up in New England. I believe the cut coins are more frequently encountered down in Virginia - Spanish pistareens. Other members can speak to that better than I. My last Mass Silver was a holed two-pence from last year. Then there's the cut shilling. They're awesome finds but still a bit bittersweet.

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thankfully, it's more common to find whole coins at least up in New England. I believe the cut coins are more frequently encountered down in Virginia - Spanish pistareens. Other members can speak to that better than I. My last Mass Silver was a holed two-pence from last year. Then there's the cut shilling. They're awesome finds but still a bit bittersweet.

Bittersweet is not an emotion Im experiencing at all. Probably 99.9% of detectorists will never get their coil over one, cut or whole

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toasted - Understood! :icon_thumleft: Mass Silver with the minting of the New England type coinage in 1652 were the very first silver coins minted in North America. So congrats to you! Recovering such a coin down your way is an impressive feat. I hope you pound that site good and have more discoveries to post in the near future.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet historic recoveries! Love those incredibly rare and old silvers!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. Definately in my top three favorite finds. I wonder how often cut Massachusetts silver is found compared to whole coins. I would love to know why this one was cut down so small. It rang up in the pull tab range too

Very few cut tree coin specimens are found compared to whole coins. I know of perhaps a dozen examples. My first Mass silver was a cut Pine Tree Shilling. A week later I dug a complete Oak Tree Shilling. I followed that up with a Pine Tree Threepence (uncut).
mass silver 2.jpg

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You know you’ve found too many Mass silvers when you feel a bit of disappointment at pulling a cut piece lol. I’m just playing bud. I understand exactly what you’re saying. It’s just mind blowing that Toasted found a piece that small with a date. I knew with that little piece it could be id’d fairly easily. Man I’d lose my mind if I found a Willow tree. Straight up heart attack if a NE popped out.

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is so cool. What a spot you have there! I really like that you got the part of the coin with the tree and the date. It is a weird shape to be cut. I wonder the story behind it? Oh and banner!

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very few cut tree coin specimens are found compared to whole coins. I know of perhaps a dozen examples. My first Mass silver was a cut Pine Tree Shilling. A week later I dug a complete Oak Tree Shilling. I followed that up with a Pine Tree Threepence (uncut).
View attachment 1619594

I didnt know any cut silver was found in New England because I dont even see cut Pistareens come out of New England much if at all. Perhaps there was an influx of small copper change in New England by the time of the Pistareen but not when Mass silver circulated. I get a little bit of both here in Marland. Closer to equal amounts of copper small change and silvers( more coppers obviously:() while further south it is nearly all silver, mostly cut

Last edited:

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations! I'm sure you are still on Cloud Nine! I will always vote Banner on a Tree Coin!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy historic finds Batman! That pine tree fragment with the date is amazing! The Cromwell government was not too fond of these pesky American colonists making these coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread