Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all . It's been awhile since I've posted. Still hunting and finding lots of coppers and buttons but nothing too thrilling. Several years ago I posted my finds from a hunt that yielded a rev war Inimica Tyrannis button. Well several months ago I happened upon a map of the same area dated 1800. The site where the Tyrannis came from was on the map but so were several other sites I hadn't known about. Best thing was all the families who lived in this area were rev war veterans. So using my "secret method" of locating sites I determined where the site should be and as always these old maps are remarkably accurate.As is the case of the sites on this mountainside they are rectangular stacked stones with no dug out cellarhole. When I reached the site I liked the look of it ; besides a few shotgun shells no evidence of having been detected or messed with. So I did the usual search about 20 feet around the perimeter and to my amazement not a single sound not even any iron to speak of. Then I wondered if some hunter/detectorist had beaten me to the punch. So after a 3/4 mile uphill climb I was going to check out the entire site and about 25 feet from one corner of the foundation I found a pewter button. Then I began getting targets. Odd thing was all the finds from this site came from an area roughly 20' wide and 100' long. I found nothing outside this area even though it was easy to detect. Anyway it was a great old site probably abandoned by 1820 and it coughed up my first GW button in great shape , a neat silvered button and some nice Connecticut coppers. All in all a great hunt. My partner Max was however less than impressed. Now if I can only find that USA button.......

Attachments

• IMG_1156.JPG
    IMG_1156.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 132
  • photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 100
  • photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0046 (1).jpg
    IMG_0046 (1).jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Conn dirt.JPG
    Conn dirt.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 116
  • GW front.jpg
    GW front.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 107
  • GW back.JPG
    GW back.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 85
  • coin group.jpg
    coin group.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 111
  • obverse conn.jpg
    obverse conn.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1117.JPG
    IMG_1117.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 49
OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great hunt, I'd love to find one of those buttons. I'd be scared to hit the woods this time of year. I've seen too many friends and relatives get lymes, tricky disease to diagnose with some serious long term effects. I make my doctor check my blood work at least once a year for Lymes.
Hi thank you. Problem is up here ticks are out basically out 10 months a year. During the other two months we’ve got too much snow!

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah we are a bit spoiled up here. The issue is I find all unhit sites are way off the beaten track. The site in my post was just in the middle of a mountainside , no tote roads , no walls , no nothing . Without finding the map I would not have walked that part of the mountainside ; just too inaccessible.Virgin sites are like hens teeth. So when you find one you gotta enjoy it. But you are right it is a fun region to hunt. MAGA

Nice job on the research. That’s what separates the men from the boys, or women from the girls! Still dreaming of a GW. Speaking of GW (the guy, not the button) I have been wondering about the MAGA thing. Not trying to judge, just trying to understand what it means. I’m interested in knowing in what period America was considered great (assuming it wasn’t recently) and just what made it great then. I mean that in all sincerity.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the research. That’s what separates the men from the boys, or women from the girls! Still dreaming of a GW. Speaking of GW (the guy, not the button) I have been wondering about the MAGA thing. Not trying to judge, just trying to understand what it means. I’m interested in knowing in what period America was considered great (assuming it wasn’t recently) and just what made it great then. I mean that in all sincerity.
According to Cuomo.....America was "never" that great. I'm a TRUMP supporter, and Gaspipe is my friend. Was from the beginning........and THANK God he was elected! I know what you're fishing for with the "when was it great" comment. If you wanna go there have at it, but you may not like what you hear from me. MAGA! Our forefathers were WAY ahead of their time when writing the constitution, ESPECIALLY when adopting the "electoral college". It's almost like they were seeing into the future. I guess "some" just cannot accept that. 2024 is a LONG way away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
????? MAGA is short for Me And George Almighty

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! GW is on my bucket list.

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those remote spots are the only way to go in my opinion. I always love a trip to a site that’s miles up a wagon track and you never have to dig any modern trash! Killer group of finds!

OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those remote spots are the only way to go in my opinion. I always love a trip to a site that’s miles up a wagon track and you never have to dig any modern trash! Killer group of finds!

Iam with you ; the whole experience is what makes it fun . The finds are iceing on the cake.

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
????? MAGA is short for Me And George Almighty

Well done, sir! That’s not the MAGA I thought you were talking about. In terms of that, I’m a middle aged white guy so America’s always been great for me. Anyone else, maybe not so much.

OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done, sir! That’s not the MAGA I thought you were talking about. In terms of that, I’m a middle aged white guy so America’s always been great for me. Anyone else, maybe not so much.

Of course you realize Iam known for being a bit sarcastic 😉

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting a GWI along with the CN copper. GWI's are a thrill to find. You pull out this huge button and when you see that tell-tale design - Eureka!!! :hello2:

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting