Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. Hope every one is fine. I worked away from home again and managed to have a couple of nice hunts in the afternoon after work before going to the guest house. I hunted with my AT Pro again. During the hunt i managed to find a couple of copper pennies and 2 silver coins. The first silver coin i found is a 1942 6d and the second silver coin is a 1934 1 shilling. Another interesting find is one part of a small lead buckle. I also found 2 old buttons, a 1961 medal and some other bits and pieces of copper and brass. I have hunted the field a number of times now and finds are getting harder to come by. I have already scouted another field that i will start hunting next month. On that hunt i might take my Equinox 800. I dont know the machine that well yet so it will be a good learning experience for me.

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting to all.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
8.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg

AT PRO resting after a long hunt

Last edited:
Upvote 23

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds Brendan!!! I honestly believe Washingtonian was posting on your behalf, supporting you. He's always posted great finds and commented to others post with respect and always speaks highly of the poster and their finds. Once again, outstanding finds, Congrats and thanks for sharing!!! "D"

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solid finds brother. Pay the haters no mind and push forward.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the post and the pics. The relics are choice but produce a troubling question. First of all I assume you're located in Pretoria South Africa?

Some of the relics are indicative of service in the Confederate army of America. # 17 shows a fortification design that was perfected during the early 19th century by the French. It was the backbone of the confederate strategic approach to blocking major thoroughfares against northern progress. In fact nearby my home are three examples of this type of fortification, even one which is known as "star fort".

The medal would seem to immortalize these fortifications of and with respect to the various phases of the battles of Winchester. Va. The date 1961 potentially qualifies this as a memorial medal sold to commemorate the commencement of the first wave of civil war reenactments in the US, in the centennial year of 1961.

The wreath buckle if genuine, presents another problem unless the British or other colonial powers used a tongue and wreath design in their colonial oppression of South Africa. The US Army coat button could have been left in any part of the world by any generation of US servicemen but not likely in S Africa because our military efforts, in WW2 were aimed at N Africa in hopes of creating a bridgehead for the invasion of Southern Europe.
You might want to further elaborate on your previous post because right now it looks pretty questionable.

Reanm8erYour Pretty New here, So I'll give you the Benefit of a Warning & not a Ban.
This Time.
Choose your Words Carefully From Now on !

TreasureNet - Real Or Fake?

khestee

Sep 15, 2016
Sandhills of NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & GTAX 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the post and the pics. The relics are choice but produce a troubling question. First of all I assume you're located in Pretoria South Africa?

Some of the relics are indicative of service in the Confederate army of America. # 17 shows a fortification design that was perfected during the early 19th century by the French. It was the backbone of the confederate strategic approach to blocking major thoroughfares against northern progress. In fact nearby my home are three examples of this type of fortification, even one which is known as "star fort".

The medal would seem to immortalize these fortifications of and with respect to the various phases of the battles of Winchester. Va. The date 1961 potentially qualifies this as a memorial medal sold to commemorate the commencement of the first wave of civil war reenactments in the US, in the centennial year of 1961.

The wreath buckle if genuine, presents another problem unless the British or other colonial powers used a tongue and wreath design in their colonial oppression of South Africa. The US Army coat button could have been left in any part of the world by any generation of US servicemen but not likely in S Africa because our military efforts, in WW2 were aimed at N Africa in hopes of creating a bridgehead for the invasion of Southern Europe.
You might want to further elaborate on your previous post because right now it looks pretty questionable.

US navy ships ported in South Africa during the 1st and 2nd WWs. The US also had a airplane ferry route that terminated in Pretoria during WW II. Most action during WWII did occur in North Africa but there were east and west Africa campaigns. The US was in South Africa as well as other countries on the Continent, albeit in small units and or Liaisons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread