Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive used my underwater CZ21 machines on a few large relic hunts down south and did pretty good
I have never used one anywhere up my way on land - But have wanted to
so I did today - I went into a spot that was a WW I training camp in the late 1800s early 1900s
Place was huge back then - houses, small companies and a few cemeteries have taken over most of what it was
There are a few patches of woods that hold finds still but area was trashed over the years and is all over grown.
Its a tough place to hunt - lots and lots of nails and other steel trash. I chest mounted one of my machines
and ran in all metal - not for the faint of heart - I got multiple readings with each swing - but with my left
hand on the ID mode knob - would click over to tone mode with each reading I believed held a possible
good target - 9 out of 10 were low tones which on the CZ is usually iron/steel but I got a few high tones
and was surprised I came up with some keepers among the tons of trash in there. First was a large brass tag
with a 23 on it- it was caked a little when I saw it in the hole and thought it might be a WW I dog tag
Ive gotten a few here when I was younger but when I saw it was not aluminum - I knew I had something else - after skipping over
about another 100 bad signals ...I got another group of signals in a 2 ft areas - I clicked over to tone mode and
got high - medium and low tones on multiple targets - Dug the most left one and came up with a fired shell
casing - period one dated 1908 - then dug the next one and it was another one - I figured I got in to a spill
when I was a teenager in the late 70s - I got more than a few shell spills and a few loaded bullet spills
I got 43 of these Springfield rifle shells in one hole once and got 38 loaded 45 cal. bullets in another
Multiple times in the old days I got multiple shells together and I figured i'd come upon another one of those
spots, but next signal dug was another brass tag - smaller in size but thicker. The next good signal was a WW I
army Great Seal button - still has some gilt on it . Then I dug a nail and a long bent piece of steel wire and last was a
small cal. bullet head . I circled out from this spot and got tons more bad signals all over the place. I got a nice
high tone and swept away 6 ins. of pine needles until I hit dirt - (if you still get a signal after getting down to dirt
4 out of 5 times - its usually period and a keeper) I rechecked spot and got a good signal - dug down into soft dirt and
popped up what I could tell was a penny - was hoping for an Indian head (I got a lot of IHs here when I was younger
but there were a lot of early wheats here too). I was happy when I whipped it and saw one cent inside the wreath
1900 - was happy to pull a coin. I got another shell about 20 yrds away from the first 2 ...then got a brass I guess
trunk latch then a small US army 4 hole button. I had an appointment in the afternoon and was getting eaten by
mosquitos - was there for about 1 1/2 hrs and was happy I had small successful hunt - I could have come up
with zilch. This place has been hit since the 70s by many - Ive brought more than a few guys here that came away
with nothing - Ive been lucky to still get a few keepers in the last few trips Ive been there - really tough place
to hunt but I still think there's more there. I wish I could have followed the bulldozers that have had at it around
the surrounding area over the years. I know most here wouldn't bother with a place like this cause the
relics aren't old enough but I take what I can get. Good place to test your skills and glad my CZ21 came thru.

Upvote 16

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your an animal, keep at it, you'll get all your land digging muscles back in shape, nice finds

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice finds.:icon_thumright:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice land fishing Casper. Congrats!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice relic hunt! :occasion14:

I also find those round "tags", mine in farm fields. I wonder if they are related to a worker ID? :dontknow:

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relic hunt! :occasion14:

I also find those round "tags", mine in farm fields. I wonder if they are related to a worker ID? :dontknow:
the larger one looks similar to what guys call "cow tags" but no cows in this area now or before
this is not near farm land - think it could be locker tag or equipment tag - second one was with steel wire so :dontknow:
I all the times hitting there I don't recall ever finding one - don't remember anyone else finding one there either
I wish I had all the stuff I found there when I was younger but sold to a militaria collector - I have some nice
stuff still from there - they were trying to create a museum near by and I offered to loan items when they
get up and running - I got enough to make a nice display for them

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brass looks like it came from a .30-40 Krag. Used by US around 1892. Gary
30 40 krag - yes - Ive found some for 1903 springfields there too and a few other odd balls

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread