SPANISH WILVER, HALF DIME, AND CW RELICS!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

My pal Kindafoundabuckle and I headed off this afternoon to hunt for a CW site we've been trying to find for a while. We got on the road for a little detectin' at the field we'd picked as the third choice for where the site might be (the first two spots we didn't find any relics on previous hunts :() When we got to the field we did our customary all-metal mode walk through. (We had bought a pair of rechargeable, clip-on walkie talkies so that we could communicate with each other from a half a mile away.) After hunting there for about two hours in this huge field, I was starting to wonder if we were in the wrong spot yet again. (Usually our research leads us to several possible locations, all in close proximity. We've been quite fortunate this year in finding sites, but I was afraid we were headed for a dry spell.) I had been listening to the frequency of iron readings (not that frequent so far), and double-checking each decent all-metal mode hit against a slightly higher discrimination. At that point, I hadn't had much luck as far as old brass, lead, or copper finding its way into my pouch. The shadows had gotten long, and I knew we were nearing the end of the hunt. Then all of a sudden KFB radioed in "I've got iron. Lots of it." I made my way in his direction across the field. By the time I got there, he had the first minieball in his hand. We started giggling like schoolgirls! I would like to say that finding this site was easy, but it certainly wasn't. Our first several hunts in the other locations were no picnic. It has been sweltering outside this summer in KY, and finding these relics today was more of a relief than anything! So we concentrated in that area where the first minie came up, circling outward from where the find was made. I got a minie about 15 minutes later, plus a piece of unidentifiable lead. KFB then shouted "I've got silver!" I ran like a rabid dog over to where he was, and he held out a cut Spanish silver coin! It looks like a quarter of an 8-reales piece. He looked like a bull moose on crack the way he did the happy dance!

We kept on hunting, picking up another minie or two. Then I got a faint signal that sounded just better than iron on my 1266-X. At about 7 inches came this 1853 Half Dime! I was surprised to see this little coin--it has been about 8 years since I last found one. I had split the clod of dirt I had in half, then in half again (the clod was getting so small I wondered what in the world I had, but the signal at that point was sweet). So we both had an awesome piece of silver in our pockets at that point. It had started to get dark. We made our way slowly back towards the car, picking up some bits of lead. Not wanting to leave, I was taking my sweet time--certainly not detecting in a straight line--and just identifying each find by touch. After we got in the car, KFB said "hold out your hand." Sitting there in the dark, I felt a heavy flat metal disk drop into my palm. I asked him what it was and he said he couldn't see it when he dug it out, but he knew it was a big coin. I turned on the light in the car, and it was a large copper coin. Even after cleaning it up a bit at home with a toothbrush, we can't see the date, but it appears to be of the Coronet Head type.

So here are the photos. Funny thing that we got three coins today, and only one had a visible date. The finds were spread out over a large area, so I'm not entirely certain in retrospect that we're directly on top of the site yet. (There are many old house sites on a 19th c. map of the area, and sometimes CW relics are found around these.) I do think we're pretty darn close though.

Here's KFB's Spanish silver. As you can see from the last photo, the coin must have originally been bigger than the Large Cent in diameter.
Spanish1.JPG
Spanish2.JPG
Here's a close-up of the Half Dime:
Half Dime.JPG
And all of the relics, minus a few of my minies I had already started to clean when KFB took the photo.
All.JPG

Regards,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
rhedden said:
Congrats on the 1853 "No Arrows" half dime. That is a very scarce variety. 1853 half dimes WITH the arrows at the date outnumber the ones without arrows by roughly a factor of 100:1 (just a guess). Do a quick search on Ebay in the half dimes category and you will see what I mean.
Rhedden beat me to it; that no arrow 1853 beats the daylights out of the arrow variety! Nice finds!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done on a great hunt ;D

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KirkPA said:
Indeed, White's strikes again. Oh, Fisher did, too. ;) :D

Nice ra-search, Buckleboy! You guys struck some nice wilver.

Thanks bud. Actually "Ra-search" Strikes Again!

Thanks to everyone for their replies! I actually got a flat button (small-sized). I had a few things at the sink cleaning them when KFB snapped the photo, so I don't guess it made it in. If there is a demand to see it, I'll try to get a photo of the button posted soon. It has a run-of-the-mill backmark on it. Something like "Extra Rich" or "Treble Gilt."

Cheers,

Buckleboy

R

RUDY2003

Fab-o-lous silvers guys! Finding the real is a goal of mine too....

Keep diggin'...

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
I think most camps were secured, so many troops returning to camp would fire ther guns into the ground. Depending if they hit rock or very hard would determine the distorted shapes.

You might not be right on the camp site yet. Did you find any melted lead?

Burt

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wildrider said:
Did you find any melted lead?

We only found the piece of lead in the photo above, which does appear to be melted, but no way to know if it is CW or not. There were a few modern items found in the field--all hunting-related.

Regards,

Buckleboy

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and research as well!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tsgman said:
Great finds and research as well!

Thanks tsgman. Your comment means a lot to me.

Thanks to everyone else as well. We'll be pounding this puppy again soon--although this weekend doesn't look that great, schedule-wise. :'(

Cheers,

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread