SPANISH WILVER, HALF DIME, AND CW RELICS!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

My pal Kindafoundabuckle and I headed off this afternoon to hunt for a CW site we've been trying to find for a while. We got on the road for a little detectin' at the field we'd picked as the third choice for where the site might be (the first two spots we didn't find any relics on previous hunts :() When we got to the field we did our customary all-metal mode walk through. (We had bought a pair of rechargeable, clip-on walkie talkies so that we could communicate with each other from a half a mile away.) After hunting there for about two hours in this huge field, I was starting to wonder if we were in the wrong spot yet again. (Usually our research leads us to several possible locations, all in close proximity. We've been quite fortunate this year in finding sites, but I was afraid we were headed for a dry spell.) I had been listening to the frequency of iron readings (not that frequent so far), and double-checking each decent all-metal mode hit against a slightly higher discrimination. At that point, I hadn't had much luck as far as old brass, lead, or copper finding its way into my pouch. The shadows had gotten long, and I knew we were nearing the end of the hunt. Then all of a sudden KFB radioed in "I've got iron. Lots of it." I made my way in his direction across the field. By the time I got there, he had the first minieball in his hand. We started giggling like schoolgirls! I would like to say that finding this site was easy, but it certainly wasn't. Our first several hunts in the other locations were no picnic. It has been sweltering outside this summer in KY, and finding these relics today was more of a relief than anything! So we concentrated in that area where the first minie came up, circling outward from where the find was made. I got a minie about 15 minutes later, plus a piece of unidentifiable lead. KFB then shouted "I've got silver!" I ran like a rabid dog over to where he was, and he held out a cut Spanish silver coin! It looks like a quarter of an 8-reales piece. He looked like a bull moose on crack the way he did the happy dance!

We kept on hunting, picking up another minie or two. Then I got a faint signal that sounded just better than iron on my 1266-X. At about 7 inches came this 1853 Half Dime! I was surprised to see this little coin--it has been about 8 years since I last found one. I had split the clod of dirt I had in half, then in half again (the clod was getting so small I wondered what in the world I had, but the signal at that point was sweet). So we both had an awesome piece of silver in our pockets at that point. It had started to get dark. We made our way slowly back towards the car, picking up some bits of lead. Not wanting to leave, I was taking my sweet time--certainly not detecting in a straight line--and just identifying each find by touch. After we got in the car, KFB said "hold out your hand." Sitting there in the dark, I felt a heavy flat metal disk drop into my palm. I asked him what it was and he said he couldn't see it when he dug it out, but he knew it was a big coin. I turned on the light in the car, and it was a large copper coin. Even after cleaning it up a bit at home with a toothbrush, we can't see the date, but it appears to be of the Coronet Head type.

So here are the photos. Funny thing that we got three coins today, and only one had a visible date. The finds were spread out over a large area, so I'm not entirely certain in retrospect that we're directly on top of the site yet. (There are many old house sites on a 19th c. map of the area, and sometimes CW relics are found around these.) I do think we're pretty darn close though.

Here's KFB's Spanish silver. As you can see from the last photo, the coin must have originally been bigger than the Large Cent in diameter.
Spanish1.JPG
Spanish2.JPG
Here's a close-up of the Half Dime:
Half Dime.JPG
And all of the relics, minus a few of my minies I had already started to clean when KFB took the photo.
All.JPG

Regards,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Buckles!! Great story and pics... I hope to see more progress for you in that area.

Are those bullets drops?

Keep it up man...

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim,

Some are drops, and some are fired. Beats the heck out of me as to why. I have found fired bullets in one other campsite--one in Virginia I used to hunt. I found some colonial relics around the spot too. They were the only fired minies I have ever found in a camp, with the possible exception of today's finds. The only conclusion my diggin buddy and I could come up with about the Virginia site was that perhaps the colonial house was in ruins when the troops made camp and they fired at the house for target practice.

Regards,

Buckleboy

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Great story and some interesting finds you have there. Keep us informed as to what else turns up in this new spot of yours.

NC_Horn

Mar 17, 2005
Burlington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Silver Eagle
Awsome job finding your site! Congrats on that and on the silver. What area of KY are you working? Just curious of the general area, I grew up in Hardin Co.

Luck to ya,

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,sounds like high adventure to me! Love the post and maybe when I get back down that way we can get together for a hunt. This time the ground may be digable.LOL Have you ever hunted around Glasgow. I did some scouting when I was there and think some good CW stuff is there to be found. That is if you have not already found it all .LOL Big congrats for you and Kindafoundabuckle! :) That spanish silver is on my list to find.One day maybe. ;)

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KFB and BuckleBoy, that is what I call a "darlin" of a day. Truly terrific finds there guys. Some nice three ringers as well, that is a GOOD day. I am going to a site today here in Virginia that me and a buddy suspect to be virgin. Hope it does turn out to be since it is a good 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive. Anyway, love that Half Dime and that piece of '8'!!

Texas Coin Hunter

Aug 24, 2007
Kenedy, Tx.
Detector(s) used
BH land star & Pioneer EX made by BH & Whites Bullseye ll Pin Pointer
Hi yes it is a 8 real dateing between 1760 thru 1790 that has been cut.

Now go find the rest of it Lol....jk

Dave

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texas Coin Hunter said:
Hi yes it is a 8 real dateing between 1760 thru 1790 that has been cut.

Now go find the rest of it Lol....jk

Dave

If the rest of it is out there, we WILL find it!

Regards,

Buckleboy

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post Buckleboy, that is a great hunt when both get an old silver coin, relics and an old copper to boot!

Now, where are the buttons?? I would think a few CW era buttons should be in that group of nice finds or at least some neat civilian ones...........

Don

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Guys! Great story and fantastic finds.
Congrats on the coins.
-MM-

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
That took persistence. It's cool how you guys probe around for iron first to find the spot. Maybe there's a spring nearby. The old timers around here
always mention natural springs. When I ask about the settling of our area the subject always switches to Indians. (Not much of a colonial period I guess).

What a cool hunt. You guys found a great spot!

Congratulations!

Ridley

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bull moose on crack? Thanks BB!

Once again thanks for your time in all of the research YOU do to put us on a site like this! I think we are just on the edge of a small but busy camp. Goes to show you once again persistence pays off. Heres to many more great hunts for this relic hunting season.

Why does Buckleboy do all the research you might be asking yourself? Well the answer is plain and simple. I have a job! ;D A 57 hour a week job. Its hard for me to balance work, home, detecting, and not to upset the wife! Theres a thin line there between a wonderful life and divorce! Of course Buckleboy works also but does not have the ball and chain that takes the paychecks. If my wife reads this its just a joke!

BTW on the Spanish silver.....Whites strikes again!

KFB

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kindafoundabuckle said:

Once again thanks for your time in all of the research YOU do to put us on a site like this! I think we are just on the edge of a small but busy camp. Goes to show you once again persistence pays off. Heres to many more great hunts for this relic hunting season.

Why does Buckleboy do all the research you might be asking yourself? Well the answer is plain and simple. I have a job! ;D A 57 hour a week job. Its hard for me to balance work, home, detecting, and not to upset the wife! Theres a thin line there between a wonderful life and divorce! Of course Buckleboy works also but does not have the ball and chain that takes the paychecks. If my wife reads this its just a joke!

KFB

KFB,
As long as YOU supply the celebration beer, it's all good.
Ooops, I got to go. I hear my wife pulling into the garage.
Out. ;D
-MM-

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
kindafoundabuckle said:

KFB

KFB,
As long as YOU supply the celebration beer, it's all good.
Ooops, I got to go. I hear my wife pulling into the garage.
Out. ;D
-MM-

:D

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kindafoundabuckle said:

KFB

ROFLMAO @ Kindafoundabuckle :D :D :D That is hilarious. Also, WHITES does strike again!!!! ;D ;)

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
Congrats on the 1853 "No Arrows" half dime. That is a very scarce variety. 1853 half dimes WITH the arrows at the date outnumber the ones without arrows by roughly a factor of 100:1 (just a guess). Do a quick search on Ebay in the half dimes category and you will see what I mean.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread