paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit I've been bummed the fall season ended so abruptly. Between the snow and hunting season starting, most of my sites are now closed to me. I spent Friday and Saturday getting various things done at home, but by Sunday I just had to get outside, if even for a little bit. One of my old standby sites I've pounded for 2 years now is close to a road on private land. There are still hunters, but since I know the landowner I was able to give them the heads up on where I would be and it's not a spot they're around anyways so everyone was happy.

This is the site I did the bottle dig this Spring and found the surprise revolutionary war era navy button a few weeks back so I figured it might have a surprise or two left, but I certainly wasn't expecting this!

After digging some questionable iron signals I happened on a 72-74 signal that was relatively shallow. Thank goodness I cut a wide plug since I was pretty sure it was a shotgun shell, but even still the signal fell out of the bottom of the plug into the hole. Picking it up I first saw the back and recognized the shape of a dandy button and like always thought to myself wouldn't it be funny if it was a GW:

GW.jpg

A pristine heraldic eagle George Washington Inaugural button!

I was terrified the patina would flake like the anchor button did so I kept it in a bag of dirt until I got home. Initially I was contemplating the wax treatment but I knew it would darken the surface and the design wouldn't be particularly defined. At the same time I couldn't let the whole button dry out since once the flaking started it would be hard to stop. What I ended up doing was rinsing it gently and putting it face-down on a wet paper towel. I allowed a small section of the back to dry and fussed with it gently to see if the patina would come up. Much to my surprise it was very solid so I slowly let more and more dry while keeping a close eye on it. As I went, I would carefully work dirty sections with a lightly moistened q-tip, but it didn't need any toothpicking and I left much of the dirt in the grooves for contrast. The result:

GW-2.jpg

A completely stable and absolutely gorgeous button. I'm even able to get a full count of the indents, 63, which makes this a type 12-C.

DSC00308.JPG DSC00313.JPG

The back doesn't show an imprint of the eagle, but the indents do show through which is interesting.

There were a couple of other non-ferrous finds but I really have hammered this site hard so it's a small grouping compared to my usual hunts:

DSC00301.JPG DSC00325.JPG DSC00328.JPG

The shoe buckle fragment is odd since I've only found a few here and it's a relatively high tone. The pewter spoon piece actually has the maker's mark: a crown, Best Britannia Metal, and "VR."

Between the navy button and this style GWI (apparently favored by those who served under George Washington), I'm starting to think that this was the home of a revolutionary war veteran. I'll be doing some research to see if the deed for this site corresponds to any of the local rosters, but if they were in the navy it might be a tough to track down. Fortunately I have the Winter to look into it. :laughing7:

I really hope this isn't the close of the season for me, but if it is I guess I couldn't ask for a better closing find!

Upvote 61

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a crazy productive 2018 you've had!!!

Congrats yet again the beautiful GW!!!!

Dust Eater

Apr 15, 2015
MASATHVSETS
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonderful save! I think you made the right decision leaving the dirt in the grooves.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That button is a beauty - big congrats!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
incredible find... astounding even! I'd say you should tumble it. Just kidding! Amazing. Words can't say how awesome that is.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an amazing find and in real nice condition. Great save. Congrats!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How Freakin Awesome! Congratulations:icon_thumleft:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job !! Still hoping to find 1 of those :occasion14:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
wow really nice

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding recovery in beautiful condition! :notworthy:

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work maxx,

A P Button collector's dream!

Swing on!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You hit a late inning grand slam with that GW button.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread