paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit I've been bummed the fall season ended so abruptly. Between the snow and hunting season starting, most of my sites are now closed to me. I spent Friday and Saturday getting various things done at home, but by Sunday I just had to get outside, if even for a little bit. One of my old standby sites I've pounded for 2 years now is close to a road on private land. There are still hunters, but since I know the landowner I was able to give them the heads up on where I would be and it's not a spot they're around anyways so everyone was happy.

This is the site I did the bottle dig this Spring and found the surprise revolutionary war era navy button a few weeks back so I figured it might have a surprise or two left, but I certainly wasn't expecting this!

After digging some questionable iron signals I happened on a 72-74 signal that was relatively shallow. Thank goodness I cut a wide plug since I was pretty sure it was a shotgun shell, but even still the signal fell out of the bottom of the plug into the hole. Picking it up I first saw the back and recognized the shape of a dandy button and like always thought to myself wouldn't it be funny if it was a GW:

GW.jpg

A pristine heraldic eagle George Washington Inaugural button!

I was terrified the patina would flake like the anchor button did so I kept it in a bag of dirt until I got home. Initially I was contemplating the wax treatment but I knew it would darken the surface and the design wouldn't be particularly defined. At the same time I couldn't let the whole button dry out since once the flaking started it would be hard to stop. What I ended up doing was rinsing it gently and putting it face-down on a wet paper towel. I allowed a small section of the back to dry and fussed with it gently to see if the patina would come up. Much to my surprise it was very solid so I slowly let more and more dry while keeping a close eye on it. As I went, I would carefully work dirty sections with a lightly moistened q-tip, but it didn't need any toothpicking and I left much of the dirt in the grooves for contrast. The result:

GW-2.jpg

A completely stable and absolutely gorgeous button. I'm even able to get a full count of the indents, 63, which makes this a type 12-C.

DSC00308.JPG DSC00313.JPG

The back doesn't show an imprint of the eagle, but the indents do show through which is interesting.

There were a couple of other non-ferrous finds but I really have hammered this site hard so it's a small grouping compared to my usual hunts:

DSC00301.JPG DSC00325.JPG DSC00328.JPG

The shoe buckle fragment is odd since I've only found a few here and it's a relatively high tone. The pewter spoon piece actually has the maker's mark: a crown, Best Britannia Metal, and "VR."

Between the navy button and this style GWI (apparently favored by those who served under George Washington), I'm starting to think that this was the home of a revolutionary war veteran. I'll be doing some research to see if the deed for this site corresponds to any of the local rosters, but if they were in the navy it might be a tough to track down. Fortunately I have the Winter to look into it. :laughing7:

I really hope this isn't the close of the season for me, but if it is I guess I couldn't ask for a better closing find!

Upvote 61

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just picked my mouth up off the floor. You did it!!!!! The dreamed GW CHICKEN BUTTON and in gorgeous condition. BANNER ALL DAY!!!
Congratulations

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner vote also Well done I need one of those and a few more buckets Tommy

DoubleBarrell86

Oct 21, 2017
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I found a GW button or any of our early presidents. I do believe the adrenaline would be to much for me lol... bc I found my first half reale I was so damn excited and had no one to share the moment with but me and the animal and they probably where thinking what was that lol. That button to me is a awesome piece of history saved and congratulations

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on a amazing find!

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, so beautiful. Awesome patina. Happy for you that you dug a wide plug, too! :occasion14:

Way to go!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner! You did a great job cleaning it, congrats! My vote is in for banner

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another find of a lifetime. Congrats! That's a Banner in my book

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grail.jpg Yeah, posting this find is sort of like saying, "Oh by the way, look, I found the Holy Grail."

Last edited:

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beginning of this week is unbelievable for find. Smokie found the gold coin. Sort of covers this GW up. But awesome find!

leonidas

Aug 30, 2018
Kennesaw, Ga
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, White's MXT, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, another great find. Excellent work on the clean up, love that patina. Congrats and Banner find!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I found a GW button or any of our early presidents. I do believe the adrenaline would be to much for me lol... bc I found my first half reale I was so damn excited and had no one to share the moment with but me and the animal and they probably where thinking what was that lol. That button to me is a awesome piece of history saved and congratulations

Thank you, I felt the same way when my first 1/2 real turned up. Middle of a gigantic field and no one around to explain how awesome the find was. Here's hoping it's your first of many spanish silvers and that a GWI of your own is on it's way!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beginning of this week is unbelievable for find. Smokie found the gold coin. Sort of covers this GW up. But awesome find!

Thank you! Definitely a good week in terms of posts and your included; that CT copper is fantastic! Too bad the date is gone, but I feel like it's an earlier one so I would look through the 1785 and 1786 varieties first for a match on the die type.

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! Definitely a good week in terms of posts and your included; that CT copper is fantastic! Too bad the date is gone, but I feel like it's an earlier one so I would look through the 1785 and 1786 varieties first for a match on the die type.

Yeah, I think it’s a 1786 Hercules Head. Thanks and congrats again.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on an amazing find and piece of American history!

Those George Washington inaugural buttons are incredible.

Sure wish there were some of those in Michigan dirt.......

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Nicely done! I can't even fathom finding a GW. I don't even know the designs well enough to distinguish them on the fly. I can't imagine there are more than a few to find all the way out here. Well done!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions