πŸ₯‡ BANNER 1767 FRENCH GRENADIER SWORD!!! Pepperbox Pistol and our 100th Seated Silver!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I'm absolutely shocked. Evidently I've just dug a 250 year old, 1700's military sword of the type carried by the U.S. Continental infantry troops during the Rev War. There aren't too many things I could dig and be completely shocked. Well this is it. Here's the video:

Went out with Shangalang and my wife, Diggergirl. We hit the cane fields after speaking to the owner of the property and seeing how they were doing and how their Thanksgiving was going. Pretty soon Shang hit a shield nickel, then I got a V. Then Diggergirl came smiling with a broken brass hammer used for working around natural gas and oil (won't spark). But it was a psych out, as she then opened her hand to reveal our 100th Seated coin dug since we started digging in 2012: a taco bent 1851-O Half Dime:

212_1585.JPG IMG_8666.jpeg

After that I eyeballed a nice Shield nickel on top of the ground:

212_1580.JPG

Then surprisingly I eyeballed another--also right on top!

IMG_8668.jpeg

The craziest part is that BOTH of these coins had dates--1869 and 1871! (Although I knew that the second one would be a nice one when I wiped it off in the field) :)

IMG_8671.jpeg IMG_8672.jpeg

We eyeballed a ton of porcelain buttons. Common to find a few. Uncommon to find a handful:

IMG_1951.JPG

Then Shang left after lunch to prepare to roast a whole pig and DG and I kept digging! Soon DG came running up with a find I've never seen made before in person--what I strongly suspected to be a PEPPERBOX PISTOL! Doing some quick googling confirmed it! I'm almost positive that this is an Allen & Thurber six shot pepperbox pistol from c.1837!

IMG_8684.jpeg IMG_8687A.jpg

After light cleaning, I was pleased to be able to open up almost all of the percussion cap nipples with a safety pin, and all but one barrel cleaned out well (the last barrel may actually still be loaded).

IMG_1954.JPG IMG_1955.JPG

Then Digger Girl got a lead toy cannon (early 20th c) and this strange tiny brass arrow that looks like it was braised onto something:

IMG_1958.JPG

I walked up on a nice find, a Civil War Enfield tompion, where it had washed out of the ground:

IMG_8698.jpeg IMG_8699.jpeg

Then I got a nice, 12 inch deep 86 reading. Too low for a silver half. Too high for a silver quarter on my F75. I was thinking that it had to be a piece of brass pipe (we've found some plumbing stuff in this site, as it's a mixed site with old and new, including a lot of aluminum can!). Over a foot down in the top of a row rolled out what I thought was exactly that--a brass piece of pipe. But I picked it up and it was HEAVY. Then I saw the shape and started screaming "SWORD!!! SWORD!!!!"

IMG_8675.jpeg

I just couldn't believe it. It was an entirely intact pommel except for the knucklebow and cross. But then I started searching online and wrote to the international sword forum for an ID and what came back shocked me even more! It's a model 1767 French Marine Grenadier Sabre! I'm just STUNNED to see this 250 year old military relic. SHOCKED! So it's either Colonial French or Rev War in provenance. Take your pick; in South Louisiana it's a toss up!

IMG_8704.jpeg IMG_8711.JPG

EDIT: Closer investigation reveals that it may be more like this style of the M1767, with the scalloped top. Note the ever-so-slightly different shape where the knuckle bow meets the grip:

IMG_8713.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG IMG_1957.JPG

IMG_1952.JPG IMG_1948.JPG

I'm just shocked. Humbled by history.

Wishing all of you the best,

Buckles

Last edited:
Upvote 122
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Helluva pile of finds there! Amazing what comes out of that place. It has to be like walking back in time being out there. Thanks for sharing those with us.

We spend a lot of time finding good sites but it’s so worth it. After the amount of aluminum can we dug (two buckets completely full) it was great to see these relics dug!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a hunt of a lifetime! wow, the history that you guys dug. the pepperbox pistol is a dream come true (or would be for me at least), the seated would be super nice, the nice V nickles and then that sword handle, what a hunt!

Pepperbox is indeed a dream find. I’ve certainly never seen one dug live before, and my wife finds some incredible iron finds (in the past 5 years she dug a complete civil war musket, a double barrel shotgun breech block, and numerous shell fragments. Of course it would be her to make this great find :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a bunch of tremendous finds. 100 seated coins is quite a milestone. Kudos to you and your fellow hunters!!!

yep, the first 100 since I moved to Louisiana. Have dug lots before but thought it’d be fun to keep track of how many we were finding here since 2012 (100 seated and 89 Spanish)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG, BB, Shang & DG!!! Your "usual" exceptional coin & relic finds!

Iowa Dale

Hi Dale! Better than the usual for us for sure. Although now that I’ve said that, my buddy did dig a sword in 2016!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who dat? Who der???
Will, holy moly bro! That sword grip is incredible. Then the usual standard of Cane Bandit killer finds. Great to see you’re on the good stuff. Way to go

Thanjs my friend! Now that it’s much cooler and drier, we are getting into full swing (pun intended)! Did you get a chance to do any digging while you were in LA?

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! Love the pepperbox and the seated! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Too cool, nice digs!!!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanjs my friend! Now that it’s much cooler and drier, we are getting into full swing (pun intended)! Did you get a chance to do any digging while you were in LA?

No digging while I was there. I wanted to, but ended up working 6-7 days a week @ 12hrs a day in the heat. It left me little ambition to hunt on the 7th day. Wish I could have taken you up on hunt offer. But hey, good luck with the season and I hope you and the bandits keep the good luck rolling!!!

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When my father passed away a six shot Allen & Thurber pistol became mine. The barrel is stamped Allen & Thurber Worcester.It looks just like the one in your picture. Now is it worth much?

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No digging while I was there. I wanted to, but ended up working 6-7 days a week @ 12hrs a day in the heat. It left me little ambition to hunt on the 7th day. Wish I could have taken you up on hunt offer. But hey, good luck with the season and I hope you and the bandits keep the good luck rolling!!!

I sure hope so too! We're low on silver coins for 2018 so I hope to make 5-6 up here before the end of the year for a respectable count. Can't complain about the relics though!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When my father passed away a six shot Allen & Thurber pistol became mine. The barrel is stamped Allen & Thurber Worcester.It looks just like the one in your picture. Now is it worth much?

Wow, that's wonderful! I'm sure in non-dug condition it's worth something. I think the auction that I found of one was $600, but the coolness factor of these guns is really awesome.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Young lad and lady, you've done it - again! Sweet stuff, as usual...!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wowza museum stuff Amazing that would look great in my display case lol Good job you 2

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds and awesome post! [emoji16][emoji106]

Dust Eater

Apr 15, 2015
MASATHVSETS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terrific stuff! Really unique relics that you just don't see very often.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Epic, great saves!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread