Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to get out for a while today and found one cool piece of Silver. It is a 1925 Stone Mountain commemorative coin.
Some info from Wikipedia on the coin.

The Stone Mountain Memorial half dollar was an American fifty-cent piece struck in 1925 at the Philadelphia Mint. Its main purpose was to raise money on behalf of the Stone Mountain Confederate Monumental Association for the Stone Mountain Memorial near Atlanta, Georgia. Designed by sculptor Gutzon Borglum, the coin features a depiction of Confederate generals Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson on the obverse and the caption: "Memorial to the Valor of the Soldier of the South" on the reverse. The piece was also originally intended to be in memory of the recently deceased president, Warren G. Harding, but no mention of him appears on the coin.

picture_2018_12_7_17_56_45_314.jpg
picture_2018_12_7_17_56_26_76.jpg
picture_2018_12_7_19_52_56_650.jpg
20181207_192043.jpg

You can tell a dozer, or equivalent, had mashed most of these little toys and other stuff. Just grass and trees there now.
That one unknown item is marked Sterling.

Thanks for looking!!

Upvote 37

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool coin, I may still have one. Back in the early 70's before I found a real career, I worked with Morgan horses. I spent 3 days at Stone Mountain for a horse show, loved the site with Stone Mountain just over my shoulder. Almost found a honey there :P)

Long time ago now, but I'm still walking this Earth :)

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool big silver coin. That would make my day! Congrats

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a really cool coin there!!!!!!Well done

OP
OP
RVRoamer73

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool coin, I may still have one. Back in the early 70's before I found a real career, I worked with Morgan horses. I spent 3 days at Stone Mountain for a horse show, loved the site with Stone Mountain just over my shoulder. Almost found a honey there :P)

Long time ago now, but I'm still walking this Earth :)

Yep a long time ago. You were down that way not to long after the opening of the park.

Another bit of info:

Stone Mountain Park officially opened on April 14, 1965 – 100 years to the day after Lincoln's assassination.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a super cool find.

It just goes to show how the PC babies have changed the country. Not long ago we commemorated them, and today the PC babies are tearing down statues, changing flags and trying to erase America's history.

OP
OP
RVRoamer73

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a super cool find.

It just goes to show how the PC babies have changed the country. Not long ago we commemorated them, and today the PC babies are tearing down statues, changing flags and trying to erase America's history.

So true! History now has to be handed down from family members, our institutions are trying to erase much of it.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, cool coin! I have never even seen one of those, I didn't even know they existed.....

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on finding the Stone mountain Commemorative half. Finding silver halves is hard enough, let alone finding a Commemorative.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very unusual find ! Mintages on these were under 1.5 million - which is very low compared to the Kennedy series (10's to 100's of millions ) I am aware of the Columbian Exposition half dollar being dug up once in a while , but I don't remember a Stone Mountain on here . Nice find for sure !

RelicMaster777

Jul 8, 2018
Gold Cost Long Island n.y. Fema region II
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Equinox 800
Equinox600
Makro Multi Kruzer
Garret ATpro
Garret ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool coin. Congrats. But I would keep that find quiet or you might have the PC and SJW's banging and crying at your door. Oh the insanity!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been wanting to buy the 4 Civil War related comm. silver halves. Grant, Stone Mtn., Gettysburg and Antietam. They go for $100 to $300 or $400 depending on grade. That's a great find. Congrats! Gary

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

OP
OP
RVRoamer73

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very unusual find ! Mintages on these were under 1.5 million - which is very low compared to the Kennedy series (10's to 100's of millions ) I am aware of the Columbian Exposition half dollar being dug up once in a while , but I don't remember a Stone Mountain on here . Nice find for sure !

I appreciate your appreciation of this unique commemorative. I was definitely stoked when I first caught a glimpse of it in the plug. Had to do a bit of research since I also have never seen this one before.
Thanks again!

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They say the victor gets to write the history, but it's a shame when it's not the truth! War's not about right and justice. It's always just about the money!

Fabulous find Patriot! As a descendant of the 33 Va Infantry I'd like to have one of those. Jackson had so many unusual characteristics. When he was sitting still on his horse he routinely held his left hand over his head. Folks thought it was something health or religious related but it was just to keep the gnats out of his eyes. He also believed in "Black Flag"!

Best wishes and good luck!

OP
OP
RVRoamer73

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool coin. Congrats. But I would keep that find quiet or you might have the PC and SJW's banging and crying at your door. Oh the insanity!

Thanks! Yeah this coin has all the ingredients to definitely have the SJW's drawers in a wad...
Where I live...nah.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on digging that great commemorative Half Dollar. I have a few in my personal collection, but they were purchased, not dug. I would love to dig one of those coins.

OP
OP
RVRoamer73

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, cool coin! I have never even seen one of those, I didn't even know they existed.....

Thanks! It's definitely a unusual find. Had me scratching my head for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread