Today's City Park finds; Locked Real Gun, Merc, and Vintage Pin

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't posted in a while. I've been going out quite often finding some decent old coins and such. These days I usually post if I find older silver or something out of the ordinary that I think fellow tnet'ers would find interesting. Today I went to a trashy city park with the sharpshooter coil on the ATP.

Screenshot_2019-02-10-21-57-41.png Screenshot_2019-02-10-15-29-48.png
My first cool find was this Elks 56th Annual Reunion Pin July 1920. Manufactured by Robbins Co.

Screenshot_2019-02-10-22-02-02.jpg
Next I found my first ever real gun! I'm not sure what kind it is and I didnt take it home. I left it on the surface. No danger since it's locked.

Screenshot_2019-02-10-22-07-15.png
Make sure leaf clutter is checked carefully as there could be silver mixed in. I didn't have to dig this Merc.

Thanks for reading and good luck to all on your hunts.

Upvote 34

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Good job on the gun recovery. Hope good Karma comes to you over it.
I had a customer bought a house that had a yard that had not been well cared for for several years. While cleaning it up, she found a revolver that probably had been pitched into the brush from a moving vehicle. She showed it to me as I came by just after she found it. It was frozen up (from rust-crud) but was a Ruger .22 so not a cheap gun. I told her to call the Sheriff or cops but to tell them if it didn't show up as stolen she would like to have it back. It hadn't been in the brush for a long time and some TLC would probably bring it back to life.
She called the City cops and they took it to Police station and ran the serial numbers. Not on the stolen list. They wouldn't give it back and really gave no reason why. Good luck.

In some locales, it is policy to not return a found gun (weapon) to the finder since they were never the legal owner of it. If there are no specific laws, ordinances or policies in place, some Police or Sheriff Departments make up their own rules as they go. She could take it up with the Chief of Police or the Sheriff (depending upon who has/had jurisdiction for that area) and ask them why she cannot get the gun back if it was not stolen. They might give her a simple answer or a long song and dance as to why with the latter possibly being a BS story.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Great finds. Congratulations

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
They didn't give her the gun back, because , are you ready, it was a gun. Regardless of what some might think , police officers don't make up laws as they go as there are state and federal regulations that dictate the way things are handled.

Last edited:

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will join the chorus....nicely done.

Re. the discussion of LEOs, the OVERWHELMING majority are straight arrows. The "respect mah ah-thor-i-tay"
types get weeded out, or more succinctly weed themselves out eventually. They are not missed by their fellow officers.

As stated, two officers showed up because it was a firearm call. That is SOP in every agency I have been involved with...even if it is just a recovery case like yours.
As far as what they do with it, figure it will be held in an evidence locker, as is, waiting for someone to notice it is gone and to contact the police. If no one comes to claim it, it usually gets "rendered inert".

Thanks for taking the time to go back and show it to them. I'll buy you a bee...uhh...coke if you get down this way, or if I get in your AO.

Pax Christi

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree hand the gun over to the police might help to close one of their files...... great find !!!!

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im guessing he didn’t call the police because he was hunting somewhere without permission

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see another gun off the "streets" of Pittsburgh. Good work Louis :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread