Today's City Park finds; Locked Real Gun, Merc, and Vintage Pin

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't posted in a while. I've been going out quite often finding some decent old coins and such. These days I usually post if I find older silver or something out of the ordinary that I think fellow tnet'ers would find interesting. Today I went to a trashy city park with the sharpshooter coil on the ATP.

Screenshot_2019-02-10-21-57-41.png Screenshot_2019-02-10-15-29-48.png
My first cool find was this Elks 56th Annual Reunion Pin July 1920. Manufactured by Robbins Co.

Screenshot_2019-02-10-22-02-02.jpg
Next I found my first ever real gun! I'm not sure what kind it is and I didnt take it home. I left it on the surface. No danger since it's locked.

Screenshot_2019-02-10-22-07-15.png
Make sure leaf clutter is checked carefully as there could be silver mixed in. I didn't have to dig this Merc.

Thanks for reading and good luck to all on your hunts.

Upvote 34

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, I have recovered a lot of toys guns over the years, but never a real one. Pittsburg, Pennsylvania is a must issue state. If I were you, I might go back and reclaim that gun. Just my opinion.
Congratulations on your finds.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang... I hope you find it, if teen Toecutter found it it would have gotten cleaned drilled and shot lol

I also agree with Discrimination Dave on the avatar lol

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2 cops showed up haha I had to screenshot it so it didn't post sideways
Screenshot_2019-02-17-08-54-25.jpg

Last edited:

Iggyks

May 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not impossible the gun could have gone off if thrown at something and hitting hammer-first, if it was a cheapie with no transfer bar or similar device. Good that it is where kids won't find it.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Being a retired LEO, you did the right thing by taking them to the gun. My guess is that it was stolen and the serial number should tell them who the owners is. Not sure why everyone is afraid of the police. Why two officers arrived? It was a gun call.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Only 2 LOL ?

I Don't want to get Political, but I wonder if they had a Swat Team
somewhere within their View also :tongue3:

Yeah, around here, it apparently takes two Police cars with 4 Cops to pull over a 5' 2" good looking 20 year old blonde female because of a broken tail light.:icon_scratch: You wonder how many of them asked for a piece of it, you know tail light!!:dontknow:

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only 2 LOL ?

I Don't want to get Political, but I wonder if they had a Swat Team
somewhere within their View also :tongue3:

I tried to call the station directly but they said I had to call 911 to dispatch an officer even tho it wasnt an emergency. I think the 2nd officer showed up out of boredom lol

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Good job on the gun recovery. Hope good Karma comes to you over it.
I had a customer bought a house that had a yard that had not been well cared for for several years. While cleaning it up, she found a revolver that probably had been pitched into the brush from a moving vehicle. She showed it to me as I came by just after she found it. It was frozen up (from rust-crud) but was a Ruger .22 so not a cheap gun. I told her to call the Sheriff or cops but to tell them if it didn't show up as stolen she would like to have it back. It hadn't been in the brush for a long time and some TLC would probably bring it back to life.
She called the City cops and they took it to Police station and ran the serial numbers. Not on the stolen list. They wouldn't give it back and really gave no reason why. Good luck.

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job on the gun recovery. Hope good Karma comes to you over it.
I had a customer bought a house that had a yard that had not been well cared for for several years. While cleaning it up, she found a revolver that probably had been pitched into the brush from a moving vehicle. She showed it to me as I came by just after she found it. It was frozen up (from rust-crud) but was a Ruger .22 so not a cheap gun. I told her to call the Sheriff or cops but to tell them if it didn't show up as stolen she would like to have it back. It hadn't been in the brush for a long time and some TLC would probably bring it back to life.
She called the City cops and they took it to Police station and ran the serial numbers. Not on the stolen list. They wouldn't give it back and really gave no reason why. Good luck.

Thx for the comment. That's a bummer if she really wanted the gun back.

I didn't want the gun, I went back to find it and turn it in on behalf of fellow tnet'ers that asked me to do so. Next time I'll call it immediately no matter if it's trigger locked or not to save time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread