Morgan cache found

Mar 1, 2007
Griffith Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXlll
Hi Folks, Keep in mind this happened 12 years ago, the statute of limitations should be up now, and I need to get it off my chest.

Ok, What I do is go to the Indiana room in the Lake county public library and do research, I've copied all the 1876 county maps of Indiana, I also check out the old plat maps. Well every week i'd decide on where we would md, generally I'd look for small old towns, abandoned houses and old parks, this week was a Sunday in late October 1995, I had gotten my Garrett earlier that summer. I decided to go to Marshall county, thats where Plymouth is, I wanted to check out Burr Oak, pretty old town, then after that I wanted to go check out Tippecanoe. You see Tippecanoe is not the original town, it was moved in the past because of flooding, the original town is on the Tippecanoe river and it is called Old Tip Town, but we didn't get that far (the we was my girl friend would drive and I would read the old and new maps) Well we went to Burr Oak, very small, blink and miss it, a bar, some old junk shop, a few homes, but no parks. We crossed the railroad track (abandoned) and headed south, about 2-3 miles south of Burr Oak on 17 on the west side of the road I saw a collapsed barn and other small out buildings, then a driveway, I said stop. We pulled in it was all dead weeds about waist high, I looked around, then I saw an older man sitting on a stoop across the street from this property. I went over to him and asked who owned the land, he said as long as he's been alive the government has, then he asked what were up to, I'm looking for anthing metal that is worth digging up, and then I said would it be ok if we went and took a look, he said he didn't care just stay away from that barn. We went back to the car and got out the detectors, it wasn't easy looking through the weeds, one building was a garage, it had a very badly rotted model-B stake truck in it, the other buildings were empty, The house was gone it appeared to have completely burned down, some remains were in the basement, it was just a stone foundation, checked under where the clothes lines use to be, a couple of wheats 1920's I was getting mad about the weeds, you know every time the coil hit a weed it would give a false signal, finally I gave up and was headed back towards the car, thats when I saw the well, it was pretty big, it was stone, about 3 feet high and 4 feet across, it still had white paint on it and it a steel plate over it, I walked around it stomping the weeds down, I started to detect and got a signal right away, it read in the nickel range and then move to pulltab, I thought #@!$%#@! it I'm leavin so I'll dig this last one, about 6 inches down I came acrossed this large serving spoon, its all rusted but worth keeping, but then I noticed glass with a really rusted latch, I dug around it hopeing I may have found a farmers stash or at least the wifes, I couldn't see in it when I pulled it out, the glass was white on the inside, I turned it on its side while looking at it and heard a clunk inside, at that point I was beyond excited, I raced over to the car and jumped in, Kris was already there because she gave up earlier, she found nothing. The guy across the street was mowing his grass, we went north on 17 and right when she turned to head west on 8, I just remembered #@!$%#@! I forgot my metal detector, she turned around and raced back to the farm, I jumped out and ran up to the well, there it was still on the ground on, just finishing up my heart attack ( I had just payed $1,000 bucks for this thing a few months earlier) put it in the trunk and noticed the guy watching, I waved, he waved and we got out of there, I was so nervous, my hands were shakeing, I just sat there and looked at it all the way home, Thinking hey I just found something on government property, there were old signs that said no trespassing by order of sheriff, and I thought #@!$%#@!, Well to make a long story short got it home and the clasp broke right away, Hey its an old mason jar pat. 1904 on it, I took the glass lid off and dumped out 10 Morgans and 3 Peace Wilver Dollars, #@!$%#@! #@!$%#@! #@!$%#@! #@!$%#@!, they were in an old piece of white cloth, it was pretty nasty, but the coins were sweet, sold 2 morgans to J&J coins so I could buy a fuel pump for my car, but I still have everything else, oh but the cloth. I would like to wish everyone on T-Net the same luck but not nerves to find one of these, because if you can imagine the feeling you get, just add 100 and some electicity and bingo. Thanks for lookin ;D now maybe I will have the nerves to post threads more often. Ed

Upvote 1
OP
OP
QUICKSILVER (appletree)
Mar 1, 2007
Griffith Indiana
Detector(s) used
Morgan and Peace Dollars

I have a photo of everything but the file was to bigto post, so here is just the coins.

Attachments

• Morgans.jpg
    Morgans.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 700

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Re: Please read Morgans first

Some of those Morgans look really nice, got to love coin caches.
Don't forget to look for CC mint marks some of those years if they
are CC are worth quite a bit in higher grades
HH,
Donny

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Very nice assortment of silver dollars you got there love morgans ;D

OP
OP
QUICKSILVER (appletree)
Mar 1, 2007
Griffith Indiana
Detector(s) used

Hey Guys, the thread these are from is called Morgans to get off my chest its a little farther down the board, see now I'm nervous again. Thanks for looking, if your interested exactly where they came from I can Google earth it and post it to, just let me know. Thanks for looking, and good luck, Ed

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

Ed, I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes looking at all them pretty Morgans. What pretty Ladies........ I'm glad someone found them! HH

Desertfox

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Edward,

Those are some sweet looking coins :o and a great story to boot.

PS: Don't give away the location just yet, at least not until I can get up there and help you give the place a good hammering 8).We might be able to go a different route to gain access for detecting (I've got some connections), so you won't have to feel so nervous afterwards and not have to wait so long to post a story about the great finds. :D

See you soon!

Bottlebum

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great Finds ED !

Congrats !

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250

Wow, nice finds, not sure what I'd do seeing all that silver looking at me!! Sweet!

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

Super Sweet Finds!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread