2 grist stones. Gotem!!!

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these about 3 weeks ago while out detecting. Probably a good 3/4 miles from my truck. No way to get near them with the truck, quad or golf cart. I was thinking wheel barrow until I saw the garden cart I bought for my wife last year just sitting there kind of lonely and looking for action (supposed to hold "up to 500 lbs."). Next step was to go back and mark them on GPS so I could get an idea from Google maps about where they really were. A week later I tried that but the leaves had come out and after 3 hours of searching I couldn't find them. A week after that I went back to detect the area and vowed not to return until I found them. I did find them again! No need for GPS as I marked where they were, summoned a friend and set a date to retrieve them. We probably used a bottle of bug dope between us but we got them out.
001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 010.jpg
I had mentioned these in another post a while back. Thank you to all who encouraged me for the retrieval.

Upvote 40

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you saved them from the woods! You might be pleasantly surprised at their value. Rumor has it the different stone makers had different patterns in the stones. Like some stone masons had their signature patterns building stone walls . Nice!
RJGMC

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A suggestion for the next time you find grist stones. Get yourself an iron pipe, put it through the hole in the stone and with your helper, carry it out on your shoulders. My self and my son carried out 2 iron wheels this way. The combined weight was 120 lbs. Some of the trek was uphill and we had no trouble at all.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome historic finds, I bet you could sell (if you wanted) to a collector for a very nice profit! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A suggestion for the next time you find grist stones. Get yourself an iron pipe, put it through the hole in the stone and with your helper, carry it out on your shoulders. My self and my son carried out 2 iron wheels this way. The combined weight was 120 lbs. Some of the trek was uphill and we had no trouble at all.
I thought about doing that. The only thing that kept me from doing it that way was the thought of the pipe creating a stress point on the stone and cracking it. As it was, I had the cart with balloon tires plus some foam rubber I put down on the cart. The less I man handled these things the better.

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome historic finds, I bet you could sell (if you wanted) to a collector for a very nice profit! :occasion14:
I'm not in this for the $ that's for sure. But if I have to move, yet again for work, I may have to. I've amassed quite the collection of "stuff". Then again, maybe I just leave the lawn mower behind and take the stones.

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Not sure what Isaac Newton would call it but I would call it "The law of relative Distance" ! The further you get from your truck the heavier the finds get and more likely its going to be a very hot and humid day. And possibly have to cross a stream.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Not sure what Isaac Newton would call it but I would call it "The law of relative Distance" ! The further you get from your truck the heavier the finds get and more likely its going to be a very hot and humid day. And possibly have to cross a stream.

...in a sudden thunderstorm while being chased by bears through blackberries and poison ivy...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread