Silver Nickel, Dime, Quarter, Half, Ring !!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone,

Well, today was certainly a dream hunt kind of day for me!! After seeing my buddy, Jayson(staydetuned), dig out a '60 Washington and a '17 Walker in the last minutes of our hunt yesterday evening, I went home and dreamt that I would hope to find some big silver in an upcoming hunt. I've been digging so many mercs/rosies lately; I was due. I couldn't have imagined that today would be the day for some bigger Wilver. Within minutes of arriving at a park I've been to many times this year (it's been an awesome producer of wilver), I dug the '41 Washington. My hunting buddy today, Mike(ratman), told me that the area I just found the quarter at has been pounded to death over the years. After congratulating me, I started to work my way up the side of the slope, about a 45 degree incline. There's an old merry-go-round down at the bottom of this slope that was moved there back in 1924. It still operates today on weekends and holidays. I've hunted this slope at least a few times before, but today, I was able to hear deeeeep signals. We had just received a little rain over the weekend, so that probably helped immensely. I was moving very slowly, trying to hear every little change of threshold on my machine, when I heard this little pitch change in the threshold tone. It was so small, but repeatable...I thought it was iron, but decided to dig....after digging 7", I put my sunray probe in the hole, and heard absolutely nothing...I almost put my pile of dirt back in the hole, but decided to dig a couple more inches of dirt out...after doing so, I rechecked the hole, and to my surprise, I heard a nice high tone. I dug out the area where I got the tone, and in my hand was a large silver coin.. :o I couldn't believe it. I called Mike over and his eyes opened wide...removing the dirt revealed a '27S Walking Liberty Half....WOO HOO!!! After Mike congratulated me again, I pulled a '43 merc only 2 ft away from the Half at about 8". I let Mike listen to this merc signal before I dug it, but he couldn't get a very repeatable signal with his Minelab Quattro. The signal on my SE was very repeatable, but it was a very quiet rolling high tone. I could have easily walked back to my car and called it an awesome hunt, but stuck it out for an hour more. Heck, I'd only been hunting for a couple hours so far. I finished the day with a '43S War Nickel, and a nice Indian/South Western style silver ring. I'm sure glad I decided to start my hunt up that slope today. I could have easily said to myself , "Don't detect up there anymore. There's no oldies left", but when you're listening for wispers of a good signal, anything is possible when the conditions allow.

Thanks for looking,
CAPTN SE
Dan

PS - Bryce(silverfreak), I used the FAST and DEEP filters today on a couple of deep signals, including my 8" merc. I didn't care for how the FAST filter clipped my signal. I still heard it, but I much prefer the way the explorer sounds when the FAST filter is OFF. No clipping, just a smooth rolling, fluty high tone....music to my ears!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2062 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    IMG_2062 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 571
Upvote 0

Dana Point Val

Oct 14, 2007
Dana Point, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Explorer SE, Explorer II, Excalibur 1000, GPX4000, Whites DFX, Surfmaster Dual Field PI, Surfmaster PI Pro, 6000 Di, Compass Gold Scanner Pro, 77b auto, 94b auto, Liberty, Red Heat X
Nice Dan!

Watching Jayson get that 17 walker last night was awesome and now you getting one the very next day after your "manifesting" dream! SWEET! Which coil were you using? Were on the slope were you? Nice hunt Dan, killin it as usual ;)

HH Val

Ratman

Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan you were smokin today on those deepies ! That area has been pounded to death and you pulled a Walker . You are one of the lucky few to get a Half from up there . As far as I know they've all been very deep and iffy signals . Just goes to show why your the "Silver King" ! Way to kick some booty today ... ;D

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Thanks, Val and Mike!!!

Val, I was using the stock Exp. II coil today, with sensitivity at 25, gain of 8. I was moving real slow. If you were standing in front of the merry-go-round, I was hunting on the right side, about halfway up the slope. That half signal was soooooo deeeep!!! I really thought it was deep iron. It didn't give the usualy fluty sound that a silver gives. Just a short high tone followed by a funny low rumbling sound after I swung past it. But it was repeatable, so I dug!!! So glad I did!!

Thanks again,
CAPTN SE

I O W A, Baby!!!

staydetuned

Aug 27, 2007
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
I see how it is Dan, you just have to go right out the next day and show me up, huh? Well maybe I'll just dream about a Morgan tonight, what do you think of that?

Nice work man. I remember that hill. I only stayed on it for a few minutes after hearing all the trash, even though my dad was getting some wheats. It took some skill to get those coins off there (especially with a 45 degree slope... ;D) Maybe I'll have to get back out there now... Hmm...

Nice digs Dan...

Iowa. Iowa...

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks Halfdime!!

Thanks, Jay. Yes, that slope is very trashy, with underground sprinkler systems which can cause havoc with the signal on your machine. I couldn't have written a better story on how I wanted to find what you found yesterday. Funny how it all came about today.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been lucky to find my share of silver in the years but the excitement never goes away. Way to go. I think sometimes we all rush at one time or another. Slow and easy does it as you well know. ;) ;)

oknorom

Sep 17, 2004
Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
dan the man! way to go. there are more big silver discs around our parks just waiting to be dug up. now all we have to do is to keep plugging away and eventually we'll find 'em.

can't wait 'til thursday!

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Nice digs and congrats on the Walker!@! Very impressive totals and can't imagine what your numbers will be at the end of the year!!

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great post and Pics.

Congrats on that nice silver.

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds Dan !!!!!!! love that silver. My brother got the SE this spring and he loves it.

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Big Dan strikes again! Bud, you are kicking some serious a$$ lately. I smell 600 on the horizon. Hmmmm...maybe Iowa will strike it and you will get the 600th there!

You made me proud again, buddy! You are due for another Seated half. :o :D

Kirk aka Pee-wee Evans :D

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweeeet! Nice coins..looks like you covered all the bases!

HH,
Nat

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Dan. I've only tasted big silver once this year. Just curious if you experimented with the settings we talked about after you located the deepie? PM me and let me know if you get time.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The biggest silver I have found in 3 years so far is a 1943 Quarter !

WTG, Keep @ it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread