Silver Nickel, Dime, Quarter, Half, Ring !!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone,

Well, today was certainly a dream hunt kind of day for me!! After seeing my buddy, Jayson(staydetuned), dig out a '60 Washington and a '17 Walker in the last minutes of our hunt yesterday evening, I went home and dreamt that I would hope to find some big silver in an upcoming hunt. I've been digging so many mercs/rosies lately; I was due. I couldn't have imagined that today would be the day for some bigger Wilver. Within minutes of arriving at a park I've been to many times this year (it's been an awesome producer of wilver), I dug the '41 Washington. My hunting buddy today, Mike(ratman), told me that the area I just found the quarter at has been pounded to death over the years. After congratulating me, I started to work my way up the side of the slope, about a 45 degree incline. There's an old merry-go-round down at the bottom of this slope that was moved there back in 1924. It still operates today on weekends and holidays. I've hunted this slope at least a few times before, but today, I was able to hear deeeeep signals. We had just received a little rain over the weekend, so that probably helped immensely. I was moving very slowly, trying to hear every little change of threshold on my machine, when I heard this little pitch change in the threshold tone. It was so small, but repeatable...I thought it was iron, but decided to dig....after digging 7", I put my sunray probe in the hole, and heard absolutely nothing...I almost put my pile of dirt back in the hole, but decided to dig a couple more inches of dirt out...after doing so, I rechecked the hole, and to my surprise, I heard a nice high tone. I dug out the area where I got the tone, and in my hand was a large silver coin.. :o I couldn't believe it. I called Mike over and his eyes opened wide...removing the dirt revealed a '27S Walking Liberty Half....WOO HOO!!! After Mike congratulated me again, I pulled a '43 merc only 2 ft away from the Half at about 8". I let Mike listen to this merc signal before I dug it, but he couldn't get a very repeatable signal with his Minelab Quattro. The signal on my SE was very repeatable, but it was a very quiet rolling high tone. I could have easily walked back to my car and called it an awesome hunt, but stuck it out for an hour more. Heck, I'd only been hunting for a couple hours so far. I finished the day with a '43S War Nickel, and a nice Indian/South Western style silver ring. I'm sure glad I decided to start my hunt up that slope today. I could have easily said to myself , "Don't detect up there anymore. There's no oldies left", but when you're listening for wispers of a good signal, anything is possible when the conditions allow.

Thanks for looking,
CAPTN SE
Dan

PS - Bryce(silverfreak), I used the FAST and DEEP filters today on a couple of deep signals, including my 8" merc. I didn't care for how the FAST filter clipped my signal. I still heard it, but I much prefer the way the explorer sounds when the FAST filter is OFF. No clipping, just a smooth rolling, fluty high tone....music to my ears!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2062 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    IMG_2062 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 571
Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver finds Captn, like usual, LOL! Congrats and HH, Mike

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Some dream Dan. Maybe I should take lessons from you. hehe Congrats on the Walker!!!! HH

Desertfox

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You da man Captain. You are truly a metal detecting prophet. You dreamed of finding big silver and you found big silver. I ask you one favor. Please, when you go to bed tonight, dream of me finding a cache of old coppers next time out. I'll be sure to give you a few as a thank you payment. Nice hunt! :D

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
You make me sick! ;) With envy!

You are an impressive detectorist. I only hope one day to learn my machine well enough to find half the stuff you do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread