Greenie
Jun 30, 2014
Berkeley Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A friend of mine recently found this ball within feet of 2 other 6 pdrs and a 12 pdr. The "fuze hole" in this one is unusually small, about 12mm. My thoughts were that it was a grenade rather than an artillery shell. It's fairly graphitized so the weight is probably meaningless but it's coming in around 2.8 lbs. The graphitization has also affected it's shape a bit. It is very soft.

Thanks,
Keith 59294077703__2F6031D1-923E-449E-8A89-55C492804764.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 17

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that would be a freakin cool find I Plus those other relics I've always wanted a cannonball Hope you get an ID. Tommy

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find! I'll be following this to see if someone can ID it... :icon_thumright:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a few images, and they are all around 3" diameter. They do look just like yours.

JoshW

Oct 1, 2018
Valley Forge, PA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a Selma hand grenade in the Civil War that looked like that. Where was it found? What is the diameter? Is the fuse hole threaded or smooth?

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch...has been found!

or perhaps a really cool Civil War one...either way, nicely done!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch! Anyway, that phrase sure dates us! It is also possible it is from the Revolution. They were much more popular than in the Civil War. Just a thought.

JoshW

Oct 1, 2018
Valley Forge, PA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked up the Selma Grenade in the Dickey and George Artillery book. It had a diameter of 2.5 inches.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is one cool find. I'll be following this. Was this found close to any entrenchments? Keep us informed on this if you will. Congrat's on a nice piece of History.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. Definitely a nice save. Congrats!

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A friend of mine recently found this ball within feet of 2 other 6 pdrs and a 12 pdr. The "fuze hole" in this one is unusually small, about 12mm. My thoughts were that it was a grenade rather than an artillery shell. It's fairly graphitized so the weight is probably meaningless but it's coming in around 2.8 lbs. The graphitization has also affected it's shape a bit. It is very soft.

Thanks,
Keith View attachment 1762225

Keith S. Let me weigh in , pun indeed on the weight of this ball , with an opinion. First it would be nice to know where your friend found the 2 -6 and one 12 pounder to figure out the period of this ordnance. 2nd I do not know what "grapitized " means unless it may weigh more if found in certain ground or less. Also it should be made of iron and no weight loss from being buried. Why it is soft is also a good question as it should be solid iron . No seam lines present as seen on r Rev WAr types. The width of 3 inches is correct for a hand grenade but at almost 3 pounds way to heavy for a man to throw a good distance. Also the walls of hand grenade are maybe 3/8th to a half inch thick at best so measure yours will tell the tale if one or not. If 3/4 to an inch then it is a small mortar ball. Can u put up picks of the 3 cannon balls to ID period? My opinion only and will leave u with another pun and that being it indeed is an odd ball. Gary

Last edited:

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keith S. Let me weigh in , pun indeed on the weight of this ball , with an opinion. First it would be nice to know where your friend found the 2 -6 and one 12 pounder to figure out the period of this ordnance. 2nd I do not know what "grapitized " means unless it may weigh more if found in certain ground or less. Also it should be made of iron and no weight loss from being buried. Why it is soft is also a good question as it should be solid iron . No seam lines present as seen on r Rev WAr types. The width of 3 inches is correct for a hand grenade but at almost 3 pounds way to heavy for a man to throw a good distance. Also the walls of hand grenade are maybe 3/8th to a half inch thick at best so measure yours will tell the tale if one or not. If 3/4 to an inch then it is a small mortar ball. Can u put up picks of the 3 cannon balls to ID period? My opinion only and will leave u with another pun and that being it indeed is an odd ball. Gary
Just wanted to let you know that graphitization is the soft black part where the metal has transformed into carbon.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting find, congrats! :occasion14:

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool find!!! "D"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions