Eyeballing and creek walking trip on civil war battle ground. Bone button and a tooth

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys! Bare with me here as I injured my main typing thumb this evening while working on a piece of my custom jewelry for a customer. Please excuse any errors I may not go back and correct lol! My daughter had a 3 hour delay from school today and daddy decided it was a better day to head to a civil war battle field and do some eyeballing! Shes starting to get into it finally, lol! We weren't in the creek for 5 minutes when my daughter saw this off white button sticking out like a sore thumb. She called me over and I instantly could see the design was older and on closer inspection I could actually see the "grain" of the bone. I know these were popular before, during and after the civil war. But, my research shows this definitely resembles a civil war era button, due to the construction and known examples of the era. I'll take it! Then I saw what I thought was a tooth of some sort, but when I really look at it, I cant quite figure it out. The part of the tooth that does the chewing (Ive found lots of animal teeth and bone, but I'm no dentist and dont know the term lol)appears to either be broken, cut , etc open and smooth and is different looking than I'm used to. I hope the pics tell the story I'm trying to tell now, lol! It's as though you can see straight into the part of the tooth that would have chewed the food. Maybe a broken tooth? Idea on what animal it came from? Goat? I have a goat skull in my man cave though and the teeth are different... but a similar size. It measures 2" root point to base as it is now. It's just a mystery tooth to me at this point,lol. Could it be a fossil of some sort of tooth(doubt it, dont know lol)?It has the same type of rings you see on whale ivory on the outside, if you can see it in my pics. Like growth rings in a tree... but on the outside. Anyway, I found lots of signs of civil war activity on this property, including several trenches/earthworks dug just before the battle happened. This is private property, for any of you local hunters lol. I have sole permission from the landowners (my sister and brother in law) so no use trying to find my spot lol! My daughter isnt into any of the carrying of a metal detector... too heavy for her yet. I'll be back asap with the Garrett and dig it all! It's a known confederate position and the union troops moved into and out of the battle on the same property as well. This is just a piece of the battlefield, but a battle field none the less!I have high Hope's for this spot! Any info on the tooths origin would be great! I don't even KNOW that it's a tooth... but I've found enough of them I feel confident to guess that much lol. Honestly, it looks a lot like a claw of some sort as well... bear or mountain lion claw?The button is going into my collection of relics from this particular area, whether it can be proven civil war or not( I imagine there's no definitive way to tell). Im feeling very lucky, once again, I have a great PRIVATE, unhunted it seems and as far as is known, civil war site, Mostly Confederate occupied to boot... just gotta divide my time and get out there more! I need some metal detecting buddies besides my parent, lol! Anybody know where I can find some extra time by chance? Just an extra few hours a day...I'd take that over a gold coin any time, lol! I look forward to my next outing at this spot... maybe even tomorrow! All replies welcome as always! Happy hunting and be safe! 20200126_184937.jpg 20200126_184950.jpg 20200126_184956.jpg 20200128_001906.jpg 20200128_001510.jpg 20200128_001549.jpg 20200128_001555.jpg 20200128_001617.jpg 20200128_001631.jpg

Upvote 17

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wild Pig tooth

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
If you want to “make friends and influence people” - get on people’s good side and get replies, not the best strategy to start by insinuating people are going to take your spot. Maybe that wasn’t your intent, but you didn’t exactly endear yourself to the reader. Hope your thumb improves.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bone button! No idea on the tooth. I live in Mass but I'll come and detect your civil war site with you anytime!

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Pay no attention to that line of cars behind you. It's just the "locals" trailing you to find your private spot.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds, I’ll be there in 20 minutes to scoop up all the stuff!!!

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question for your sister and brother in law . our driver wants to know where to park the charter bus .

those are some nice finds and a wholesome activity to share with your daughter .

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoying the good-natured ribbing and also can't believe that I missed the bus again...where is that bus schedule?

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! Got myself into trouble huh? I'm blaming my injured typing thumb,lol. I only mentioned a local stealing my spot because it's happened 2 separate times since I've been posting here on treasure net... just seemed kinda strange. There are PLENTY of open PUBLIC spaces to park your buses, just off the PRIVATE ground lol. I'd have gladly shared my info with the 2 guys I have had to bust(private property, nobody living close enough to see). Yes I called the landowners both times and was asked to tell them to leave, once the owner of one property came down himself and told the other guy to leave, explained that I ASKED and received permission he had not. They could have been my buddies! Instead of talking to me or asking permission from the landowners, they just start digging. I never meant to be mean, just state the facts... private property, permission needed. On the tooth, my first thought was pig, wild or otherwise. Is this a full tooth, or has it been broken off? Anybody coming to my area, or locals... feel free to reach out! I'd be VERY happy to SHARE my sites and the info I've worked very hard to gather. My wife is sick of listening to my research and stories etc lol. I stress to people please have proper detecting etiquette. These are not public tot lots I'm talking about or "staking claim to" here. Private property that I researched and gained access to through lots of hard work and fancy talking, or family connection lol. Bring the buses guys! If I know you're coming, I'll be glad to get you on some good ground. There is plenty to be found and I can only get out there so much. Didnt mean to come across as a D!@%, just cant stand to see trespassers digging up my hard earned permissions! Had to stress it on this one because the info is easy to narrow down to an actual location if you know the area. I hope ya'll understand my reasoning. I almost lost one of my favorite permissions because the "rogue detectorist" said he was told he could hunt by ME... not my property to give permission! Luckily these people know me and believed me when I said I never told anyone anything. Just stressing proper etiquette here guys. I hunt LOTS of "shared" ground and have no problem with that! Just cant have people "piggybacking " my permissions... without asking the owners. Get permission, or come along WITH me... I really would like to share, just properly! Thanks for the replies everybody! I may be back out there later today! Happy hunting!

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! Got myself into trouble huh? I'm blaming my injured typing thumb,lol. I only mentioned a local stealing my spot because it's happened 2 separate times since I've been posting here on treasure net... just seemed kinda strange. There are PLENTY of open PUBLIC spaces to park your buses, just off the PRIVATE ground lol. I'd have gladly shared my info with the 2 guys I have had to bust(private property, nobody living close enough to see). Yes I called the landowners both times and was asked to tell them to leave, once the owner of one property came down himself and told the other guy to leave, explained that I ASKED and received permission he had not. They could have been my buddies! Instead of talking to me or asking permission from the landowners, they just start digging. I never meant to be mean, just state the facts... private property, permission needed. On the tooth, my first thought was pig, wild or otherwise. Is this a full tooth, or has it been broken off? Anybody coming to my area, or locals... feel free to reach out! I'd be VERY happy to SHARE my sites and the info I've worked very hard to gather. My wife is sick of listening to my research and stories etc lol. I stress to people please have proper detecting etiquette. These are not public tot lots I'm talking about or "staking claim to" here. Private property that I researched and gained access to through lots of hard work and fancy talking, or family connection lol. Bring the buses guys! If I know you're coming, I'll be glad to get you on some good ground. There is plenty to be found and I can only get out there so much. Didnt mean to come across as a D!@%, just cant stand to see trespassers digging up my hard earned permissions! Had to stress it on this one because the info is easy to narrow down to an actual location if you know the area. I hope ya'll understand my reasoning. I almost lost one of my favorite permissions because the "rogue detectorist" said he was told he could hunt by ME... not my property to give permission! Luckily these people know me and believed me when I said I never told anyone anything. Just stressing proper etiquette here guys. I hunt LOTS of "shared" ground and have no problem with that! Just cant have people "piggybacking " my permissions... without asking the owners. Get permission, or come along WITH me... I really would like to share, just properly! Thanks for the replies everybody! I may be back out there later today! Happy hunting!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys! Bare with me here as I injured my main typing thumb this evening while working on a piece of my custom jewelry for a customer. Please excuse any errors I may not go back and correct lol! My daughter had a 3 hour delay from school today and daddy decided it was a better day to head to a civil war battle field and do some eyeballing! Shes starting to get into it finally, lol! We weren't in the creek for 5 minutes when my daughter saw this off white button sticking out like a sore thumb. She called me over and I instantly could see the design was older and on closer inspection I could actually see the "grain" of the bone. I know these were popular before, during and after the civil war. But, my research shows this definitely resembles a civil war era button, due to the construction and known examples of the era. I'll take it! Then I saw what I thought was a tooth of some sort, but when I really look at it, I cant quite figure it out. The part of the tooth that does the chewing (Ive found lots of animal teeth and bone, but I'm no dentist and dont know the term lol)appears to either be broken, cut , etc open and smooth and is different looking than I'm used to. I hope the pics tell the story I'm trying to tell now, lol! It's as though you can see straight into the part of the tooth that would have chewed the food. Maybe a broken tooth? Idea on what animal it came from? Goat? I have a goat skull in my man cave though and the teeth are different... but a similar size. It measures 2" root point to base as it is now. It's just a mystery tooth to me at this point,lol. Could it be a fossil of some sort of tooth(doubt it, dont know lol)?It has the same type of rings you see on whale ivory on the outside, if you can see it in my pics. Like growth rings in a tree... but on the outside. Anyway, I found lots of signs of civil war activity on this property, including several trenches/earthworks dug just before the battle happened. This is private property, for any of you local hunters lol. I have sole permission from the landowners (my sister and brother in law) so no use trying to find my spot lol! My daughter isnt into any of the carrying of a metal detector... too heavy for her yet. I'll be back asap with the Garrett and dig it all! It's a known confederate position and the union troops moved into and out of the battle on the same property as well. This is just a piece of the battlefield, but a battle field none the less!I have high Hope's for this spot! Any info on the tooths origin would be great! I don't even KNOW that it's a tooth... but I've found enough of them I feel confident to guess that much lol. Honestly, it looks a lot like a claw of some sort as well... bear or mountain lion claw?The button is going into my collection of relics from this particular area, whether it can be proven civil war or not( I imagine there's no definitive way to tell). Im feeling very lucky, once again, I have a great PRIVATE, unhunted it seems and as far as is known, civil war site, Mostly Confederate occupied to boot... just gotta divide my time and get out there more! I need some metal detecting buddies besides my parent, lol! Anybody know where I can find some extra time by chance? Just an extra few hours a day...I'd take that over a gold coin any time, lol! I look forward to my next outing at this spot... maybe even tomorrow! All replies welcome as always! Happy hunting and be safe! View attachment 1795359 View attachment 1795360 View attachment 1795361 View attachment 1795362 View attachment 1795363 View attachment 1795364 View attachment 1795365 View attachment 1795366 View attachment 1795367

Nice Finds .
Is the 'Button' Bone ?

You may have stated this ,oh hope yr finger gets well asap.

P.S. FWIW
I get the way you come across but many won't

Did I get a Stay away or 'I'd like a hunting buddy '.

Like I said perception is different in each person .

Welcome to the T-Net Site.
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pay no attention to that line of cars behind you. It's just the "locals" trailing you to find your private spot.

My Heads always on swivel . lol

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hog tusk,,,not really a tooth. Yours is broken on the root end.

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I can see how I came across in the original post. That's the kind of stuff that gets my wife "cranky" quite a bit, lol. Misunderstanding for sure, no Ill intent towards anyone but the trespassers and a warning for them as well. Not blaming tnet either for sure. I even caught that in my original post, almost seemed as if I blamed tnet for the trespassers... I definitely do not. I love posting my finds here and it even gives me more motivation to get out and hunt! I am disabled, so it's a great hobby but harder for me than most people my age. I love the support I receive on this site, the information and even the ability to say something stupid and get poked fun at by several guys... this is my kind of place,lol! Again, if any tnet members are gonna be in my area some time and need a place to hunt, I've got you covered! I'd gladly hunt with anyone who loves our hobby and follows just basic etiquette. I'm not down with trespassing, making messes or anything like that. My spots are all private permissions, or open ground ANYBODY can hunt. I often hunt in the same park as a guy(never met him) but he likes to hang by the road and I'm always hugging the creek. Just far enough away to see each other, but haven't crossed paths yet. I wonder if he is on the forum? Anybody here CURRENTLY hunting Weaver park? I'd love to know what you've found, and share my finds, exchange knowledge etc. Its a long shot, but if he finds something, he will want to post it on Tnet, lol. Thanks again for all the replies! I also had my neighbor, what we call aro

an "old timer" around here(70 year old, lived in our county his whole life, has lots of stories, lol). He also said the "tooth" was a "wild pig tusk", I imagine he meant a boar? Either way, I can incorporate it into a belt buckle or something after cleaning and drying it etc. Very cool look to the outside. The button is to the best of my knowledge bone. I have inspected it under a loupe and see the tell-tale porous surface on the button. The color and weight look and feel right etc. It's in really great shape too. We've had a lot of rain lately, must have just washed out recently I'd imagine. That was actually my daughter who spotted it first, her eyes are only 8 years old... mine arent lol. I made a trip to a close spot to this one today, nothing major but some cool finds and on the track of the civil war soldiers we are hunting relics from! Check out the new post if any of you have time. Thanks again everybody, and know I never meant to come off as anything but frustrated with trespassers, which I'm sure we can all appreciate. Come hunt with me anytime, the ladies dont call me Sweet Jimmy for nothin, I'm a pretty mellow and nice guy lol. Seriously though, somebody come hunt with me sometime! I live in a beautiful town, plenty of cheap(awesome) air b&b type places etc. The history is amazing, great food and beer. I'd even take you out to my BEST spot, if the road is open or ya like a long hike in the back country lol. Happy hunting everybody!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread