alex12

Greenie
Mar 1, 2019
Lorain County
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a really great site that had 3 buildings on an 1860s map. I hit the site 5 total times, each time coming back with a fairly significant haul for me atleast, with the exception of the last where I came up empty handed.
Total items saved one small complete crotal bell, 2 weddings bands, 3 suspender clips, 14 buttons one is a Civil War Officer's Infantry button, 1 broach, 2 belt buckles, 3 Canadian bank tokens, 6 large cents, 1 cut large cent, 3 indian head pennies, 2 flying eagles and a flying eagle civil war token. Also two unidentified toasted coppers one is 36mm the other 34mm. One trip my wife came with me. She had never found anything before and neither of us were finding anything at all. So I went deep into the property hoping for a signal, I come up with a great signal a couple hundred yards away from where the buildings used to be, I ask her to walk over to me she finds a "modern penny" sitting on the surface, I said can I see it, it ends up being a civil war token. So she says "ugh I wanted to dig a coin!". We both started laughing and I said think about it this way, that coin has sat there for 157 years until you picked it up how cool and mind blowing is that?

I wanted to point out a few interesting (boring) things in terms of results, you are obviously welcome to skip to the photos. The first 2 times out I swept horizontal. The next 2 times out hit it caddy corner and it was as if I was on a new site that had never been hit before. 5th time out, no finds (just trash) even spent a few hours on the remaining 11 acres and nothing. The other interesting thing is as annoying as it is to hit near the road because of trash specifically beer and pop cans, I found 2 flying eagles in the same hole essentially stuck to each other one to two feet from the road, right next to the gravel of the berm. I would've never thought this soil could go undisturbed this close to the road.

The reason we're laughing in the photo is there were insane storm clouds rolling in fast behind us and a thunderstorm was with it. We packed up right after the photo, storm hit as we were driving away!

Thanks for looking and reading HH, Alex

bank of montreal front back complete.jpg selfie.jpg site info.jpg large cents with description.jpg IMG-0322.jpg IMG-0326.jpg his and hers ring complete.jpg civil war token f and back complete.jpg buttons with text.jpg unknown large coin complete.jpg

Upvote 47

Bible

Jan 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably 50 hauls plus still at that site if your still picking them up off the ground nice finds that token is sick.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going on all the finds. Really cool pics too.
GL and keep diggin'.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice post. Congrats on a lot of great finds. Six LCs is awesome. I have only dug one of those types that were any good in a year and a half of detecting, and I had to go to VA to find it. Love that token too - very interesting.

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you so much for the time and effort you spent preparing your post. The photos are great, including the labeled finds. I appreciate too, the details you gave about how you approached the hunt, and the techniques you used--a good learning experience for us all. Best of all, you were able to hunt with someone you love...

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FIND AN ARTICLE HERE i WROTE
Hunting Farm Fields Forever
http://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/

When i first started hitting farm fields (around age 18) a friend and i would hammer one and after a while we would find almost nothing and call it done
we did this with a number of spots thinking we cleaned them out - down the road (and after a few yrs of being turned over) we heard of guys hitting "our"
old spots and making good finds and did not realize that stuff was being turned up each year - so make sure (as long as your permission lasts)
to make it a habit of trying to hit those fields every year - I have a couple now I been hitting for close to 20 yrs and still find a keeper now and then
:icon_thumright:

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent post and pictures, thanks for the story. Can't wait to see what else you find here!

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the pictures this hobby make me smile also thats what its all about having time to enjoy yourself and the surprise finds

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic bunch of finds! Amazing how the token sat there for so long. Maybe it was plowed up.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like quite the dream site- Congrats! Hope it continues to produce as well as it already has- GL!

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Those are some great finds! Congrats! I'd keep hitting it until there wasn't a signal left in the ground.

Royn2751

Jan 14, 2017
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly a wonderful post and group of finds. I can only imagine what a thrill that you both experienced.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing hunt Ill tell ya if I found all those LC coins I would have been swinging right through that storm lol Amazing job keep those finds coming

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet also Tommy

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds - congrats !

I also found a Canadian "Un Sou" here in Ohio a few years ago - dated 1838.

Good Hunting !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread