washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey everyone,

I hope you’re staying healthy and safe.

Last week was a rough one! I had some client cancellations, got a high ankle sprain, got a mandatory quarantine, and then the real kick in the pants, my CTX died last weekend!

It’s in the shop for repairs but who knows when it will get worked on and sent back given the state of our nation? I didn’t want to wait around for a month and the kind of hunting I do (high EMI/mineralized sand) benefits from a more modern machine than my old DFX.

I decided to pull the trigger and get on the Equinox train to see if it can compete with and possibly even replace the CTX for me.

So far, it’s doing just fine for itself! I took it out for a 40-minute practice spin on Friday evening near my place to learn some signals. I always heard this machine was great on old nickels and it didn’t disappoint! I got a 1934 Buff along with a couple modern tokens.

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

Yesterday, I decided to go to the beach for some essential exercise. :) I went to a place that’s been good to me before to see what else the Nox might be able to kick up.

I was finally mostly junk in the first couple hours and then I got a decent but gargled tone. I pick up a piece of surface iron and chucked it and lo and behold, there was a 1904 Barber Dime under it!

Adjustments.jpg

I stopped and ate part of my sandwich. 5 minutes later I turn the detector back on and a step or two later get another good sounding target.

Adjustments.jpg

Back to back Barber dimes. This one a 1912-S. Crazy!

Detected for a couple more hours without finding much of interest but those 5 minutes made my day!!

Here are some up-close shots.
17601FB5-184C-47F7-862C-4A90B5807352.jpg
9C9B373C-BACC-47DC-9DDB-DD468B7E6E27.jpg

Also got a couple of older wheaties. One is 191?-S and the other is illegible.

Pretty fun day on the rocky cobble looking forward old coins!
A0235436-3934-42E6-A18D-F884B0B40CA2.jpg

Thank you for looking and happy hunting all!
-W

Upvote 30

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent hunt congrats!! Love those barbers

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chugga Chugga Toot Toot all aboard the Nox train Rough week for you...but great way to save it those barbers and coins are some sweet finds......You stay safe as well my friend that Nox loves Silver and the silver sound is unmistakable I use the Grey Ghost head phones and for what ever reason the silver signal is very apparent Keep rippin. Tommy

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!!! Congrats!!!! The Nox will surprise YA!!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job Wash!! I love my Nox!!

DirtDigginDan

Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its a shame what the salt water does to those beautiful coins, congrats anyhoo for some cool finds! What Equinox did you get? I sure love my 800.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds !

Seems like there'e a lot of very happy Nox user's out there - good luck with yours !

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everyone,

I hope you’re staying healthy and safe.

Last week was a rough one! I had some client cancellations, got a high ankle sprain, got a mandatory quarantine, and then the real kick in the pants, my CTX died last weekend!

It’s in the shop for repairs but who knows when it will get worked on and sent back given the state of our nation? I didn’t want to wait around for a month and the kind of hunting I do (high EMI/mineralized sand) benefits from a more modern machine than my old DFX.

I decided to pull the trigger and get on the Equinox train to see if it can compete with and possibly even replace the CTX for me.

So far, it’s doing just fine for itself! I took it out for a 40-minute practice spin on Friday evening near my place to learn some signals. I always heard this machine was great on old nickels and it didn’t disappoint! I got a 1934 Buff along with a couple modern tokens.

View attachment 1816027
View attachment 1816028
View attachment 1816029

Yesterday, I decided to go to the beach for some essential exercise. :) I went to a place that’s been good to me before to see what else the Nox might be able to kick up.

I was finally mostly junk in the first couple hours and then I got a decent but gargled tone. I pick up a piece of surface iron and chucked it and lo and behold, there was a 1904 Barber Dime under it!

View attachment 1816030

I stopped and ate part of my sandwich. 5 minutes later I turn the detector back on and a step or two later get another good sounding target.

View attachment 1816031

Back to back Barber dimes. This one a 1912-S. Crazy!

Detected for a couple more hours without finding much of interest but those 5 minutes made my day!!

Here are some up-close shots.
View attachment 1816032
View attachment 1816033

Also got a couple of older wheaties. One is 191?-S and the other is illegible.

Pretty fun day on the rocky cobble looking forward old coins!
View attachment 1816034

Thank you for looking and happy hunting all!
-W
Nice job Sir!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Excellent hunt congrats!! Love those barbers

Thank you! Yeah! Usually they are so tough to find around here. I've been lucky to find a spot with a cluster of them!

Chugga Chugga Toot Toot all aboard the Nox train Rough week for you...but great way to save it those barbers and coins are some sweet finds......You stay safe as well my friend that Nox loves Silver and the silver sound is unmistakable I use the Grey Ghost head phones and for what ever reason the silver signal is very apparent Keep rippin. Tommy

Thanks so much Tommy! Love it man. Keep up the good work out there. I'm looking forward to getting those silver tones down!

Very Nice!!!! Congrats!!!! The Nox will surprise YA!!

Thank you very much Randy!

Nice job Wash!! I love my Nox!!

Thanks JD, glad to hear another endorsement from a good detectorist!

Nice finds Wash. You will like your Nox. I sure like mine.

Hooray! So far so good. Thanks for your kind words!

Its a shame what the salt water does to those beautiful coins, congrats anyhoo for some cool finds! What Equinox did you get? I sure love my 800.

Thank you! Yep, I got the 800 as well. It's definitely unfortunate about the condition coming out of the salt beaches but at the same time, it's one of the best places to find old stuff around here.

Great finds !

Seems like there'e a lot of very happy Nox user's out there - good luck with yours !

Thank you for your kind words and well wishes!

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Wash.... 2 Barber dimes... thats always a good day... We both went from CTX to nox.... I love mine, don't have a lot of silver yet , because I'm hunting older fields... I hunted some fields around a 1754 church.. The place was pounded, but, the nox pulled out 9 very deep largecent's... HH and stay safe my friend... Basss

Hogtown Hunter

Jan 30, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I got a Nox 600 recently. I've found dozens and dozens of modern coins so far but every time I get that 13 signal and think I got a nickle it seems to always be trash. I've almost given up on it when I'm getting a lot of other hits I'm thinking do I waste my time. Did the Buffalo read a 13?

Last edited:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try digging 12 & 13. I’ve hit buffalos solid on both numbers. War Nickels & V’s too

B0Town

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2019
California
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! I got a Nox 600 recently. I've found dozens and dozens of modern coins so far but every time I get that 13 signal and think I got a nickle it seems to always be trash. I've almost given up on it when I'm getting a lot of other hits I'm thinking do I waste my time. Did the Buffalo read a 13?

Deep nickels can dip down to 11, but 12-13 is the sweet spot for nickels on the Nox. Shallow nickels with little wear or war nickels can hit 13-14. If you get a double beep at 12-13, it’s 9 out of 10 times a square tab. Keep at it!

Last edited:

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My barbers have also been beat up recently. You finding them back to back on the west coast is quite an accomplishment imo. I also have the 800 and I've found a lot of silver in the first 4 months! I've been having luck just randomly walking the woods with it in the city. You'll likely want to rehit all your productive sites.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old coin shooting! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread