washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey everyone,

I hope you’re staying healthy and safe.

Last week was a rough one! I had some client cancellations, got a high ankle sprain, got a mandatory quarantine, and then the real kick in the pants, my CTX died last weekend!

It’s in the shop for repairs but who knows when it will get worked on and sent back given the state of our nation? I didn’t want to wait around for a month and the kind of hunting I do (high EMI/mineralized sand) benefits from a more modern machine than my old DFX.

I decided to pull the trigger and get on the Equinox train to see if it can compete with and possibly even replace the CTX for me.

So far, it’s doing just fine for itself! I took it out for a 40-minute practice spin on Friday evening near my place to learn some signals. I always heard this machine was great on old nickels and it didn’t disappoint! I got a 1934 Buff along with a couple modern tokens.

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

Yesterday, I decided to go to the beach for some essential exercise. :) I went to a place that’s been good to me before to see what else the Nox might be able to kick up.

I was finally mostly junk in the first couple hours and then I got a decent but gargled tone. I pick up a piece of surface iron and chucked it and lo and behold, there was a 1904 Barber Dime under it!

Adjustments.jpg

I stopped and ate part of my sandwich. 5 minutes later I turn the detector back on and a step or two later get another good sounding target.

Adjustments.jpg

Back to back Barber dimes. This one a 1912-S. Crazy!

Detected for a couple more hours without finding much of interest but those 5 minutes made my day!!

Here are some up-close shots.
17601FB5-184C-47F7-862C-4A90B5807352.jpg
9C9B373C-BACC-47DC-9DDB-DD468B7E6E27.jpg

Also got a couple of older wheaties. One is 191?-S and the other is illegible.

Pretty fun day on the rocky cobble looking forward old coins!
A0235436-3934-42E6-A18D-F884B0B40CA2.jpg

Thank you for looking and happy hunting all!
-W

Upvote 30
OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey, Wash.... 2 Barber dimes... thats always a good day... We both went from CTX to nox.... I love mine, don't have a lot of silver yet , because I'm hunting older fields... I hunted some fields around a 1754 church.. The place was pounded, but, the nox pulled out 9 very deep largecent's... HH and stay safe my friend... Basss

That is so great bass. I love hearing from you my friend. Keep getting after it. There is still a lot out there for you to find!!

Nice finds! I got a Nox 600 recently. I've found dozens and dozens of modern coins so far but every time I get that 13 signal and think I got a nickle it seems to always be trash. I've almost given up on it when I'm getting a lot of other hits I'm thinking do I waste my time. Did the Buffalo read a 13?

The buffalo was a 13! I just recently pulled a V nickel from 8" with the Nox also a 13. This thing seems to hit the nickels pretty well!

Try digging 12 & 13. I’ve hit buffalos solid on both numbers. War Nickels & V’s too

Right on!

Nice finds! You’ll love the Nox. Congrats

Thanks! Super impressed with its deep-seeking capabilities so far.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Awesome Wash the Nox is an outstanding machine for sure....:occasion14:

Yes! Thank you. I've been very impressed with it so far!

Deep nickels can dip down to 11, but 12-13 is the sweet spot for nickels on the Nox. Shallow nickels with little wear or war nickels can hit 13-14. If you get a double beep at 12-13, it’s 9 out of 10 times a square tab. Keep at it!

That's good to know!

My barbers have also been beat up recently. You finding them back to back on the west coast is quite an accomplishment imo. I also have the 800 and I've found a lot of silver in the first 4 months! I've been having luck just randomly walking the woods with it in the city. You'll likely want to rehit all your productive sites.

Thank you! Yeah. I figure Barbers out here are basically Seated or Spanish silver back East lol. (Just kidding...barely). I pulled 6 Barbers off a single beach site in a couple trips last month. Unfortunately I think it's all quiet now but I know there have gotta be more sites like it out there.

Yes! I'm definitely looking forward to revisiting some sites with it. However, I hunt my best sites with my brother who has had the Nox 800 for over a year so most of them have been crossed by him already but I'm still game to try. I think there are some deep nickels out there to find.
Nice old coin shooting! :occasion14:

Thanks so much PoE. Stay safe!!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry I’m so late to the party Wash but wanted to add my congratulations to your finds. Seems like you’re getting along with the new detector just fine. Best of luck with it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread